Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Srsly, Walmart for produce?

I buy my bean sprouts at the Japanese market, and they have the sani-pac sacks.
Yeah Wal-Mart has the worst produce. I have tried it in the past, and it is horrible. Not fresh at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
I buy my bean sprouts at the Japanese market, and they have the sani-pac sacks.
That isn't going to help if the sprouts inside the Sani-Pak packaging are contaminated. That is what has happened in all the serious cases so far. It wasn't mishandling at the Point of Sale that caused the issues, it was contamination of the beans or seeds before they were grown into sprouts.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Yeah Wal-Mart has the worst produce. I have tried it in the past, and it is horrible. Not fresh at all
You can just stand by any item in the produce section and watch it rot. 2 months ago I went to
Kroger looking for bean sprouts (use them in a noodle stir fry - so I do cook them to kill any bacteria) and
the nice guy in the produce department to me then why they don't carry it. Oddly, the
restaurants do and have it available (and yes on sandwiches and salads).

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 06-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: tiny error

Old 06-25-2013, 05:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Another problem that would be solved through irradiation of fresh vegetables.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Another problem that would be solved through irradiation of fresh vegetables.
Unfortunately bean sprouts, along with other veggies with high water content, like lettuce, are poor candidates for irradiation, because the process wilts them.

But there is another possibility, to "pasteurize" the beans and seeds before sprouting them using hot water. Here's an article about that possibility.:

Can Technology Rescue the Sprouts Industry? | Food Safety News

Unfortunately the Kroger guy outlined the overriding logistical problem... it's a low margin product that does not sell in large volume, and it involves an outsized risk... so why carry the product at all? And that's exactly why the markets are all dropping them.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Unfortunately the Kroger guy outlined the overriding logistical problem... it's a low margin product that does not sell in large volume, and it involves an outsized risk... so why carry the product at all? And that's exactly why the markets are all dropping them.
Also, Kroger's tends to use warehouse distribution which means that the bean sprouts have to be handles 2-3 times.

===========================

I have friends who grow mung bean sprouts commercially in Chicago's Chinatown. It is one of the more capital intensive and temperature/humidity controlled environment. Personally, I cannot see how they can be held for more than a day or two without picking up some pathogen.

Having said that, once you have had them that fresh, you will not head to Krogers or another supermarket.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
They are so easy to grow, why not save money and grow your own? Then, at least you know where they come from and don't have to worry about the risks. They are very easy to grow indoors.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I cannot see how they can be held for more than a day or two without picking up some pathogen.
No, that isn't the problem.

The problem is that the dried mung beans arrive with the pathogens already in them, and they're activated by the sprouting process.

If I recall correctly, the alfalfa seed that was sprouted in Europe which killed 50 people and hospitalized hundreds more was originally grown in Egypt, and was most likely contaminated there. That's why I personally only buy my sprouting stock from the most dependable sources.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Srsly, Walmart for produce?
My sentiment exactly! In any case, it's super-easy to grow your own bean sprouts. Why bother with the risk?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I am not a WalMart fan, but this isn't always true. I got corn in there last week, it was the best we have had so far this year. I also get snow peas, when we are not going near the Asian market and I have gotten other produce there. I shop at WalMart only when I need a bunch of stuff from a bunch of dept, like nursery, food, canning supplies, etc. I think it depends on how well kept and where the WalMart is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink