Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
You walk into to a restaurant for carry out. You did not sit down to eat, you are not waited on. They hand you a bag of food that is it. When you sign the credit card receipt there is a place to tip. Do you tip? Who gets the tip?

I see two sides to it for sure. Sometimes it might not be a big deal. Like if I ordered $10 bucks worth of food, tipping $3-4 bucks might not be a big deal. What if I order $100 bucks of food. Should I tip $25 dollars?

And BTW, I always tip in this situation. I am just wondering if I am the only one haha.
No, you are not the only one that tips; but me? No, I do not. Someone put it is a bag, handed it to me, did nothing else. Do we tip the bag boy at the grocery store? (I am not talking about the guy who carries your groceries) I am certainly a fair tipper, sometimes even a little over the top, but I do think we need to really understand what tipping is all about? It isn't just something we do at random. Way too many people expect to be tipped now days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
It is customary to tip for a take out order from a restaurant. For a $100 order, I would tip at least $10. For a smaller order, it depends on the amount, but I would tip a few dollars at least. It's true that you were not served at a table, but a restaurant staff member who depends on tips to make a living wage has taken the time to pack up your food for you. You may not need to tip a full 15% or 20%, but it's bad manners not to tip at all.
Where are you getting the idea it is customary? I would have to strongly disagree with you. do you tip the kid at the drive thru window at McDonalds? I think you are misquoting what you do with customary.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Do you tip when you go through the line at McDonald's. I see no difference in picking food up anywhere else. How about at the grocery store deli, do you tip there?
can't rep you; I have to spread it around, but you and I see this the same way. I think most people do. I have no problem with the tipping policy in our country. I know a lot of people do, but I will add, if it continues the way it seems to be heading and everyone thinks they should be tipped and others think they need to tip, I will soon join those who say: scrap the tipping policy period.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 PM

195 posts, read 335,943 times
I used to work as a hostess, and when takeout customers tipped on a togo order, it was mine.

That being said, I don't tip on togo orders now. Why? Because packing and handing off an order was park of my job, and I thought it was silly , even then!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
It's demeaning to the workers to have to rely on people's generosity to pay their bills.

And it creates a system where good people pay more for their food, while sleazeballs pay less. In effect, good people subsidize the cost of the food for the a-holes.
This is precisely one of the points I made in the thread I started a while back about tipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
if it continues the way it seems to be heading and everyone thinks they should be tipped and others think they need to tip, I will soon join those who say: scrap the tipping policy period.
I would love to see it scrapped, but until that day comes, I generally tip only two categories of people:
1) waitstaff who are making only a couple of bucks an hour before tips, and
2) a service person who truly goes way above and beyond what would be expected.

I do not tip every service person who is already making minimum wage or above, who does their job correctly and cheerfully. To me, correctly and cheerfully is the minimum expectation, and the EMPLOYER should be paying wages for that.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I usually tip at least a dollar or two on take out depending on how big the order is. I worked in a Steakhouse during college and we did a lot of take out orders. One of us would have to take time to take the order, put it into the computer, and then bag it up when it was ready (this includes getting little containers of butter/sour cream/salad dressing/cocktail sauce/etc. etc. plus we served rolls so we would give them a little bag of bread and butter not to mention silverware, napkins and if they had to go drinks), then take it to the customer, and take their money. Doing all that did take some time and it took time away from my sit down guests, and I was still only being paid 2 bucks an hour. I definitely think that merits at least a couple bucks. Definitely not the 18% like if you were sitting down, but a couple dollars shows appreciation.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
At a fast-food place, never. At a small Chinese take out with two tables, no, as those people are making a standard wage. At a bigger sit-down restaurant that offers takeout, usually $2.

I've actually packed food at a Chinese sitdown restaurant (I was the delivery guy - and when I wasn't there, either the owner or a waitress did it). I know how long it takes to pack an order and $2 is very fair for a fairly standard order for 2 people (and very appreciated). I guess I'd tip $1/person if it was a bigger order.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I usually tip at least a dollar or two on take out depending on how big the order is. I worked in a Steakhouse during college and we did a lot of take out orders. One of us would have to take time to take the order, put it into the computer, and then bag it up when it was ready (this includes getting little containers of butter/sour cream/salad dressing/cocktail sauce/etc. etc. plus we served rolls so we would give them a little bag of bread and butter not to mention silverware, napkins and if they had to go drinks), then take it to the customer, and take their money. Doing all that did take some time and it took time away from my sit down guests, and I was still only being paid 2 bucks an hour. I definitely think that merits at least a couple bucks. Definitely not the 18% like if you were sitting down, but a couple dollars shows appreciation.
Exactly, this is what I'm talking about and what my son did while in college too.
Not only that but he would sometimes get the morning catering orders, set up breakfasts for business and get nothing as a tip for what might be a two hour setup. He did earn extra for this, but it still didn't meet minimum wage. It got to the point that he hated being pulled for those breakfasts because he got virtually nothing worthwhile from it, except having to get up at the crack of dawn.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Like others, if it's a regular restaurant but I go there just for carry-out, I tip but less. About 10 percent.
When going for a sit-down meal I tip 20 percent minimum.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:53 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
It is customary to tip for a take out order from a restaurant. For a $100 order, I would tip at least $10. For a smaller order, it depends on the amount, but I would tip a few dollars at least. It's true that you were not served at a table, but a restaurant staff member who depends on tips to make a living wage has taken the time to pack up your food for you. You may not need to tip a full 15% or 20%, but it's bad manners not to tip at all.
I don't know about California, but here in the rest of the world, no way am I tipping someone who hands me a carry out bag. My definition of bad manners is expecting a tip for putting some food in a bag or pouring me a go cup of coffee, when that is supposed to be your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink