Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 AM

109 posts, read 155,507 times

Advertisements

Nah I don't give tips. If the order was that big then I do tip but not that big though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
You walk into to a restaurant for carry out. You did not sit down to eat, you are not waited on. They hand you a bag of food that is it. When you sign the credit card receipt there is a place to tip. Do you tip? Who gets the tip?

I see two sides to it for sure. Sometimes it might not be a big deal. Like if I ordered $10 bucks worth of food, tipping $3-4 bucks might not be a big deal. What if I order $100 bucks of food. Should I tip $25 dollars?

And BTW, I always tip in this situation. I am just wondering if I am the only one haha.
I would tip if:

The order was delivered to me, but not if I pick it up. And it is very appropriate to tip the person if you dine in, and the waitstaff takes your order, brings you items for your meal and clears your dishes. All that deserves a tip, and good one if the waitstaff did a good job of taking care of what your table needed.

But carryout, I don't see the reason for tipping, unless they did something special for you, like put extra portions of your favorite ingredients, or carried it out to your car, something like that.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:12 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Let's say you go to Starbucks. There is a tip jar there. If you want to be nice and leave a tip they would appreciate it, but it's not expected. They aren't going to cuss your name after you leave. They aren't making less than minimum wage.

My thread is not about a take out place or tipping cashiers in a take out place.
I agree like I stated earlier I work at Subway and we have a tip jar, it does not say on the jar tips are mandatory. If you want to tip me I would appreciate if not it's ok. Fortunately we have very generous customers and we do gets tips daily. No one is twisting your arm to tip. It's a personal choice.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Nope.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM

141 posts, read 353,620 times
I have worked in several restaurants and I only tip if I know who does the packing - in the last place I worked, we (the servers) had to pack the to go orders, and ring them up, which means that the IRS is counting those to go orders as part of our sales, in order to determine what we get taxed. I would tip if that were the case. If the hostess does the to go orders, I would not tip, because they usually get paid more than the servers and will not be taxed on to go orders.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
i would tip if:

The order was delivered to me, but not if i pick it up. And it is very appropriate to tip the person if you dine in, and the waitstaff takes your order, brings you items for your meal and clears your dishes. All that deserves a tip, and good one if the waitstaff did a good job of taking care of what your table needed.

But carryout, i don't see the reason for tipping, unless they did something special for you, like put extra portions of your favorite ingredients, or carried it out to your car, something like that.
^This.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
How much do you folks tip for buffet service, where you fill your own plate and wait staff just bring drinks and bus tables? I usually leave 10% or a minimum of $1 per person.

Do you tip more if your group keeps a table for a sit down meal longer than average --- say if it is a special occasion meal?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
You walk into to a restaurant for carry out. You did not sit down to eat, you are not waited on. They hand you a bag of food that is it. When you sign the credit card receipt there is a place to tip. Do you tip? Who gets the tip?

I see two sides to it for sure. Sometimes it might not be a big deal. Like if I ordered $10 bucks worth of food, tipping $3-4 bucks might not be a big deal. What if I order $100 bucks of food. Should I tip $25 dollars?

And BTW, I always tip in this situation. I am just wondering if I am the only one haha.
I have, but it depends. When I used to order out, I always tipped. It is likely one of those grey areas in etiquette.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
I always tip on to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink