U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM

38 posts, read 61,814 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where this belonged, but finally decided on Food & Drink, being it's (mainly) about making and drinking coffee... I think....

There are 5 of us in the office: 2 male bosses, 3 female support staff. Support staff members always arrive before the bosses. Two of the support staff members arrive between 7 AM and 8:30 AM. The third arrives around 10:30 AM. Those 2 make the coffee.

We have a double coffee-pot (2 12-cup pots, 1 unit). We use brown paper filters, and Maxwell House coffee. The water boils as it comes through the filament, and the coffe produced is very hot. We drink about 2 12-cup pots per day. Our half-n-half and flavored creamers are kept in the (very) small fridge, and we also have powdered creamer as backup.

We have 2 lavatories in the office, and no kitchen.

One of the individuals here refuses to drink the coffee we make here. That person will bring cups of coffee to the office in the morning, and/or take a break to go out to buy cups of coffee. The reasoning?

This person will not drink the office coffee because it is made from water that comes out of the tap in a lavatory.

That person (and one other support staff member) also is trying to convince the bosses to "invest" in one of those coffee-makers that use little "pods" (is that the right word?)... but... we would still need to use "toilet water" (LOL).

So... does this person have an "issue" or are the rest of the folks lax in following healthy habits?

(We clean our own bathrooms.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,646,884 times
I’d be more put off by the Maxwell House than the water. Tap water is the same no matter the room, but there is a tremendous variety in coffees.

In the end, what difference does it make if the employee is willing to spend his or her own money on coffee?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM

34,544 posts, read 42,708,506 times
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
What does the office do for drinking water? See if the boss will get a bottled water service and use that. Aside from making coffee, it is nice to have access to nice cold spring water throughout the day. The one we had also dispensed hot water for tea or cocoa, too.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I’d be more put off by the Maxwell House than the water. Tap water is the same no matter the room, but there is a tremendous variety in coffees.

In the end, what difference does it make if the employee is willing to spend his or her own money on coffee?
Sorry if I led you to believe it was about money, it's not. It was just to inform that the person does, in fact, drink coffee as much as the rest of us - that is all.

(I agree with you about the Maxwell House. Meh. We use Gevalia at home, and one of the bosses here prefers Folgers, but they compromised on Maxwell House. It's the one most often on sale.)

Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
I agree that the Maxwell House would be the deterrent for me and also that it's really silly to object to the use of water from the bathroom faucet. It's just the same water, it's not as if someone is scooping it from the toilet bowl!

I like gentlearts' idea of getting a water cooler service.
Or get one of those Britta water filter jugs for the coffee (and drinking.)

Oh, just reread your OP.

Quote:
So... does this person have an "issue" or are the rest of the folks lax in following healthy habits?
This person is a germaphobe of the highest order, I think. You others are normal. Let that person continue to bring their own coffee.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM

1,828 posts, read 850,174 times
This made me laugh!

The mistake here was the person telling why they bring their own coffee. I would have just said that I only drink one kind of coffee, smiled, and then gently refused to be drawn into discussons about my anti office coffee behavor.

In truth, I was a nurse. The hand that turns on the water in the bathroom sink is often not a clean one. I would have trouble getting that image out of my mind. I could go on, but I won't.

I don't think there is a health hazard with the office coffee, but there would be a major ick factor in my head.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,646,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WychyWoman View Post
Sorry if I led you to believe it was about money, it's not. It was just to inform that the person does, in fact, drink coffee as much as the rest of us - that is all.

(I agree with you about the Maxwell House. Meh. We use Gevalia at home, and one of the bosses here prefers Folgers, but they compromised on Maxwell House. It's the one most often on sale.)
The person in question is simply a coffee snob—there are more and more of us these days. If faced with the choice of drinking bad coffee or buying our own, we choose the latter. I don’t see why it should bother you either way.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

What does the office do for drinking water? See if the boss will get a bottled water service and use that. Aside from making coffee, it is nice to have access to nice cold spring water throughout the day. The one we had also dispensed hot water for tea or cocoa, too.
I wish! After 5 years working here, the "big" boss still thinks it would not be worth the money to have such a service, but I agree with you. I've worked elsewhere and they had such a unit. It was very useful.

As for drinking water, he reimburses us when we pick-up cases of bottled water from the warehouse store. Once in awhile he will bring in the water, or a case of Fruit-2-O. Sometimes if we run out, he actually pays for Staples to deliver it. The money spent on those little bottles of water - and the waste of the plastic, which he refuses to recycle - makes me shake my head. (I bring in a bottle which I fill/re-fill with "toilet water" throughout the day. (The lavatory in the rear is not used very much, and the water from the tap is surprisingly cold.)

The fridge is a dorm fridge. Once we put our lunches in there, there's not much room left for beverages anyway.... Oh well.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The person in question is simply a coffee snob—there are more and more of us these days. If faced with the choice of drinking bad coffee or buying our own, we choose the latter. I don’t see why it should bother you either way.
My actual question was "So... does this person have an "issue" or are the rest of the folks lax in following healthy habits?" ... not so much about coffee snobbishness at all.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I agree that the Maxwell House would be the deterrent for me and also that it's really silly to object to the use of water from the bathroom faucet. It's just the same water, it's not as if someone is scooping it from the toilet bowl!

I like gentlearts' idea of getting a water cooler service.
Or get one of those Britta water filter jugs for the coffee (and drinking.)

Oh, just reread your OP.

This person is a germaphobe of the highest order, I think. You others are normal. Let that person continue to bring their own coffee.
Thank you for "getting it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or