Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:41 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do buy Caesar dressing but I always make my blue chees, yes with buttermilk and a lot of really fatting things like sour cream in it as well. I do buy a few bottles of dressing from time to time to keep for guests that don't like whatever I have made but it is rare and yes, a little dressing goes a long way.
lol, I make my blue cheese simple with just buttermilk and some seasonings. But I use a really good blue cheese. Lately it's been the Saint Augur. So salty and tangy. SO GOOD. And the Ceasar in my blender with also just a few ingredients as well. But I am a plain jane in most of my food choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
The only dressing I use on salad is olive oil with a little bit of salt. Sometimes I'll add balsamic. I hate heavy cream dressings for the most part. A simple salad dressing shouldn't take a PhD and a post doc to understand the ingredients list. I try to avoid as much processed foods as possible.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just read the latest study on salad dressings and again, they attack anything with fat, even though the article does mention low fat dressings can be bad for you, because of the high sugar and sodium levels. They listed the worst dressing and healthy alternatives.
One they suggested was a low fat blue cheese dressing. You can take a lot away from me, but don't touch my blue cheese dressing. I only have it about once a week but when I want it, I want it and I want to enjoy all the fat and calories.

We do use just lemon juice with a little oil to help it adhere to the greens better. That is hubby's favorite and certainly healthy. I also make a mustard dressing that has lemon juice and very little oil. We also go light on our dressing, so I guess I can continue my blue cheese.

What about the rest of you?
I squeeze fresh lemon juice on my salads (no oil). I have never liked dressing.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:09 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
I'll make it sometimes and sometimes I'll use bottled. I don't like any of the lo-cal bottled dressings. I don't make it very often, but my favorite is the buttermilk ranch made with the pkt. So bad, but so good

Old 07-20-2013, 12:21 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Olive oil & vinegar.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I'm not that concerned with the health issues associated with most bottled dressings, as I don't eat copious amounts of salad, but I find that I rarely like most of them and so I hate wasting $3-6 dollars for them.

Lately I have been making my own, and would like to expand my list of recipes.

My current favorite is balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, garlic, and honey, but would like to learn how to make a creamy dressing as well.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Salad dressing is home made here. I make it strongly flavored so very little is needed on the salad in order to get the flavor of it.

Everything in home made dressing is good for you: olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, herbs and spices, mustard..... all of it is good food. People must have some fat in their diets. The salad, with healthy oil, is a good place to get it.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
lol, I make my blue cheese simple with just buttermilk and some seasonings. But I use a really good blue cheese. Lately it's been the Saint Augur. So salty and tangy. SO GOOD. And the Ceasar in my blender with also just a few ingredients as well. But I am a plain jane in most of my food choices.
You are eating it healthier than I do I am sure. I use equal amounts of mayo, sour cream and buttermilk, plus about 1/2 again as much blue cheese, or certainly a little more blue cheese. I have to admit, I don't use top of the line blue cheese. I add a little olive oil (just a little) a little lemon juice and a dash of seasoning salt and pepper. I think things like my blue cheese dressing is why the doctor asks me every six months: do you think maybe before you next appointment you could loose 5 lbs or maybe even 10? I always answer her honestly: of course I, but will I is a better question..

Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
I like blue cheese dressing. Home made is best, but I'm not freaky about it. There are some decent store bought brands, if you go up market a little.

I also like lemon juice and a little olive oil.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Walden farms is the best!

The real treat? It has zero calories!!!!!!

I also like Newman salad dressing

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 07-20-2013 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink