Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

I just read the latest study on salad dressings and again, they attack anything with fat, even though the article does mention low fat dressings can be bad for you, because of the high sugar and sodium levels. They listed the worst dressing and healthy alternatives.
One they suggested was a low fat blue cheese dressing. You can take a lot away from me, but don't touch my blue cheese dressing. I only have it about once a week but when I want it, I want it and I want to enjoy all the fat and calories.

We do use just lemon juice with a little oil to help it adhere to the greens better. That is hubby's favorite and certainly healthy. I also make a mustard dressing that has lemon juice and very little oil. We also go light on our dressing, so I guess I can continue my blue cheese.

What about the rest of you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
if i opt to eat a salad ,,id like to somewhat like it,,so its blue-cheese dressing all the way...

Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times
I won't buy store bought but I make dressing all the time. I make a buttermilk blue cheese dressing and Caesars dressing. It's flavorful so a little goes a long way and there's no sugar to worry about. There is sodium naturally but I'm not spurious about it. If I had to get store bought them I can see why Americans worry.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I won't buy store bought but I make dressing all the time. I make a buttermilk blue cheese dressing and Caesars dressing. It's flavorful so a little goes a long way and there's no sugar to worry about. There is sodium naturally but I'm not spurious about it. If I had to get store bought them I can see why Americans worry.

How about it? I looked at the label of my favorite catalina style dressing, and the very first ingredient was sugar. That actually made me sad!

I usually make my own with balsamic vinegar, olive or canola oil, honey, and good brown mustard.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
How about it? I looked at the label of my favorite catalina style dressing, and the very first ingredient was sugar. That actually made me sad!

I usually make my own with balsamic vinegar, olive or canola oil, honey, and good brown mustard.
How about what? (Confused)I don't add sugar to my dressings. I'm very big on cutting back on what I call empty calories which is why I make my own items.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,056 times
I eat any salad dressing that tastes good. That's pretty much the only criteria I use.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,291,348 times
Bottled salad dressing is terrible for you. It’s crammed with all sorts of preservatives and other junk. I always make my own. There are endless variations and it’s fun to experiment. I never use sugar and just a pinch of salt. It’s all about combining an oil, an acid (sometimes an emulsifier) and flavorings.

If I use cheese, I get a high quality, very strong cheese and sprinkle a little on top of the salad. If I need a little sweetness I add a bit of something that is naturally sweet, like a tablespoon of fresh orange juice.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:29 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
I eat regular higher fat dressings that taste good, but I try to go lightly on them. I hate the taste of fat free ranch.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I do buy Caesar dressing but I always make my blue chees, yes with buttermilk and a lot of really fatting things like sour cream in it as well. I do buy a few bottles of dressing from time to time to keep for guests that don't like whatever I have made but it is rare and yes, a little dressing goes a long way.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I eat regular higher fat dressings that taste good, but I try to go lightly on them. I hate the taste of fat free ranch.
The only fat free or low fat dressing I will buy and eat is: Thousand Island. It is really pretty good, but I don't have it more than maybe twice a year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink