Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
That U.S. picture is just terrible and cringe worthy, but how exactly is Pizza Hut, McDonalds, and Burger King groceries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I really don't think that the Canadian segment was a good representation at all. They chose a place that is so NOT mainstream that I've never even HEARD of it. I googled it -- it's pretty much an Inuit fishing village. Not a good representation at all, at all, at all, and not only because I don't buy any of the food that was listed.

Ok now I understand.

All these pictures come from the book Hungry Planet.

Hungry Planet: What the World Eats: Peter Menzel, Faith D'Aluisio: 9780984074426: Amazon.com: Books

BTW there are other pictures from the USA and Canada that reveal a much different diet.

The OP's link obvious had a small agenda to slam Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Very interesting and eye- opening to see the differences in consumption and variety of food around the world. Of course some of these things i have never seen and could not identify even though I am fairly well traveled.

What A Week Of Groceries Looks Like Around The World - Likes
Thanks, this was posted a couple of times over the past few years and is always interesting to view. This is one of the most fun parts of world travel I think, just experiencing what others eat or at least trying a couple of specialty dishes. I know, for us, eating breakfast in Hong Kong was where we were introduced to Congi. I think that is how it is spelled. I absolutely fell in love with it.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Yup, seen this before, it is very interesting. Notice how much packaged foods Americans eat. No wonder why we have terrible obesity, diabetes, rates of colon cancer, and heart disease.
You have a good point, but we still have a long life expectancy as well. I think many countries, if you spend time in their larger cities, eat a lot like we do. They may eat different foods, but those industrial cities have picked up on processed foods just like the Americans or pretty much like them. In many cases, though our diet isn't helping us, our obsession with driving over walking makes a difference.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
This looks to me like just what one particularly family from each country might eat in a week, not necessarily what the average family eats from each country.

So the title is pretty misleading, but the pictures are definitely interesting.

Next time someone claims it's too expensive to eat healthy, just post one of the pictures from the poor countries as a reply.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
That German teenager does NOT look happy to have to be in that photo!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I really don't think that the Canadian segment was a good representation at all. They chose a place that is so NOT mainstream that I've never even HEARD of it. I googled it -- it's pretty much an Inuit fishing village. Not a good representation at all, at all, at all, and not only because I don't buy any of the food that was listed.
That was my reaction. Serve that food to the average family in Toronto and it may not be received taht well.

Egads, what an agenda they are pushing.

Personally, I was surprised to see the quantity of food for all the families.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Whenever I read those "articles" I just go . They take about 0.001% truth and blow it out of proportion - hoping at least 1% of readers react to it.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
i see they dont have birth control in ecuador...my gawd..8 kids!!

one of my fav food scenes in a movie of two different food lifestyles,,,was my big fat greek wedding-when the parents were finally meeting each other,,
his parents brought over a bundt cake,,,while her greek parents were roasting a lamb on the front yard..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

one of my fav food scenes in a movie of two different food lifestyles,,,was my big fat greek wedding-when the parents were finally meeting each other,,
his parents brought over a bundt cake,,,while her greek parents were roasting a lamb on the front yard..
LOVE that movie!
- Ian is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat
- what?! oh, ok, ok! It's okay! I make lamb!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM

117 posts, read 61,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Forget the americans, damn did you see how much coke the mexicans drink. Holy crap
I noticed that too. Probably half the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink