Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,733,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
one of my fav food scenes in a movie of two different food lifestyles,,,was my big fat greek wedding-when the parents were finally meeting each other,,
his parents brought over a bundt cake,,,while her greek parents were roasting a lamb on the front yard..
That cake has a hole in it!!!

Cool photo essay, though. I cringed when I saw all the junk food in the American photo - I was hard pressed to find much in the way of fresh fruits/veggies in that family's diet.

I love all the produce the Egyptian family had. I think I'd like to go visit them for dinner.

I also thought the prices were interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,153,889 times
Wow, that was interesting to read. Makes me happy that I'm eating healthy

Old 07-25-2013, 03:06 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
Wow, that was interesting to read. Makes me happy that I'm eating healthy
same here goldy

if that photo was taken at my house,,,in the fall, a deer would he displayed across the table, or maybe even a bear or moose..

this tme of year, id have a platter of lobsters, clams, a watermelon

and a platter of rib-eye and porterhouse steaks, and burgers

and maybe some tomatoes or beans from the garden

Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM

415 posts, read 762,682 times
Interesting 4 sure..... also Ok now you all see what an average family around the world consumes good or bad in about a week, Right.... well a few years back I started a back up food storage system in my basement for times of emergency, just cause one never knows, well funny thing was when my Wife saw me putting back food, (storage wise) she gave Me some grief, like that's a lot, to much we will never use that much, or the best by date will pass before we use it, ect,ect..
well the next week when she went and came back from weekly food shopping, I walked out to her SUV and popped the hatch, then I had her look at how much food there was, and stated what if the store was gone, Poof'' .... and that's when it sunk in, when she stood back and looked at what all she had just brought home for 1 week..

since then she has been on board with emergency food storage and helps me quiet a bit, funny some times we joke were going to the store, which can just be a run to our basement..

food for thought''

Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

The OP's link obvious had a small agenda to slam Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Unfortunately, the American household featured here is more common than many of us want to admit. But the reality is A LOT of Americans eat like that. Our nation's obesity rate is no accident.
Sadly, I have to agree. When I look at other people shopping baskets, that's what I see. Lots of toast bread, frozen or prepared food, sodas, sweets, canned food, chips, and only little of fresh produce. Easy stuff like lettuce, tomatoes, but rarely things that has to be peeled, cooked, seasoned ( cauliflower, beets, fresh green beans, cabbage, kohlrabi, zucchini etc.)
Of course that's not what EVERY person here eats, but in an average, yeah, that what they buy.
Researcher "mapping the food genome" of what Americans eat - CBS News
11 Facts About American Eating Habits | Do Something

Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
Interesting 4 sure..... also Ok now you all see what an average family around the world consumes good or bad in about a week, Right.... well a few years back I started a back up food storage system in my basement for times of emergency, just cause one never knows, well funny thing was when my Wife saw me putting back food, (storage wise) she gave Me some grief, like that's a lot, to much we will never use that much, or the best by date will pass before we use it, ect,ect..
well the next week when she went and came back from weekly food shopping, I walked out to her SUV and popped the hatch, then I had her look at how much food there was, and stated what if the store was gone, Poof'' .... and that's when it sunk in, when she stood back and looked at what all she had just brought home for 1 week..

since then she has been on board with emergency food storage and helps me quiet a bit, funny some times we joke were going to the store, which can just be a run to our basement..

food for thought''
good post hickory

we also have an emergency cache in the basement..... i have woods across the street, with plenty of deer..also live on a pond,,with plenty of fish,,,have a lawn full of geese and ducks now,,,
we had a severe ice storm ,,15 or so yrs ago..we lost power for 4 weeks...most of maine did
in the winter!! so no furnace/boiler,, i didnt have a back up generator (now i do) but thank god i had a woodstove,,,we boiled melted snow and ate alot of pasta,,had alot of canned goods in the basement,,also,,it was cold,,so we kept alot of meat from the freezer outside
we got by pretty good- had a good supply of venison, and canned goods-came in handy

Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 AM

688 posts, read 840,251 times
Hmmm, I live in Australia and our grocery bills never came even close to $428 per week (for a family of 4).

Average shopping trip for the week usually ends up around $200-250

Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM

167 posts, read 358,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
^^^yeah really what is that? Hopefully a Canadian will answer. And that is a HUGE amount of money for one weeks worth of groceries.
This family lives in the remote north, all food is flown in. Prices are very, very high there.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycee View Post
This family lives in the remote north, all food is flown in. Prices are very, very high there.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Boy those prices are unreal.

In states where you can buy liquor and cigarettes and diapers and formula at the grocery store I can understand spending that much a week. I had no idea cigs cost that much now. I wonder how anybody can even afford to smoke. And if you have an infant in the house diapers and formula will break the bank. I was shocked to know formula is under lock and key now because of shop lifting problems. We don't drink and I buy wines to cook and might poor a tiny bit to sip while cooking but I have a bottle of red in the frig now which is about 3 months old! I only use it for stews.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,467,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
Hmmm, I live in Australia and our grocery bills never came even close to $428 per week (for a family of 4).

Average shopping trip for the week usually ends up around $200-250

Oh well no Teenagers in our house yet!

Not sure how typical the Aussie Family is? The kitchen would indicate the family are not well off (as does all the processed meat!), and they are clearly of some kind of mixed islander heritage.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-29-2013 at 02:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink