Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would eat goat and have.

Over 30 years ago as a graduate biology student, I was working in SE New Mexico on a research project. That year the project was represented by several Texas and New Mexico universities with some studying the birds, some mammals, some reptiles, etc. As the season came to a close, we decided to have a get-together and a goat roast. A local rancher donated a goat and told us how to cook it. I and another fellow were elected to do the meat cutting so we cut the fellow into eight pieces. We then wrapped each piece, after seasoning really well, in tin foil and tied each piece up in wet burlap. While that was being done, a few other students dug a large pit in the sand about four or five feet deep, then lit a mesquite fire in the bottom of the pit. After the wood had burned to glowing coals, we covered the coals with sheet tin (corrugated siding) then placed the pieces of meat on the tin sheets. We then covered the meat with another layer of tin sheets, then built another mesquite fire on top of that. After the top fire had burned to glowing coals, we covered the whole thing with sand making sure to cover any place where smoke was escaping. We returned to the pit in several hours carefully following the rancher's instructions and dug the meat out that evening. The meat literally fell off the bone and was delicious especially with the kegs of beer someone had traveled into Carlsbad to get while the meat was cooking. That evening we also had dove breasts (we had a collection permit), pan-fried bread and corn.

If anyone wants to try and follow this goat recipe, beware that this event took place in about 1978 or 1979 and my memory is not so good anymore. If anyone who was at that event ever reads this and wants to correct my memories, feel free.

Oops! I forgot I had posted this in the other goat thread. Sorry 'bout that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I heard once, on Oprah (so it must be true), that goat is the most consumed meat in the world.
I just went to a local butcher shop that carries goat, and I'm thinking of buying some, but I'm not sure what my hang up is, since meat is meat.

I've had goat milk and goat cheese but I will not voluntarily try goat meat. Goats are worth so much more than steaks when you have lots of timber and weeds that need cleaned out the environmentally responsible way.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, but now I actually know where to get some.
Well leave here now and go try goat and report back for us! Tell us how delicious it is and how it was served. I want some goats' milk now.

My dad used to sing this to me when I was a wee buck...

Mister Patrick McGinty,
an Irishman of note,
Came into a fortune and
he bought himself a goat
Said he, "Sure of goat milk,
I aim to have my fill."
But when he got his nanny home,
he found it was a Bill.

And now all the ladies
who live in Kililew
Are all wearing bustles
like their mothers used to do
They each wear a bolster
beneath their petticoat
And leave the rest to providence
and Paddy McGinty's Goat.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Lotsa great "goat tails" here!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:16 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
I had it once. My ex was a butcher, and this package of goat just wasn't selling, so he brought it home. I'm sure it was a little on the old side. And I'm sure he did not know how to cook it. And it was awful.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Maine has had an influx of thousands of Somalis. They have been great for the goat business. However, it does freak out the landlords when they butcher goats in the bathtub.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM

356 posts, read 1,066,174 times
Uh duh ?

Love goat meat and prefer raw goat milk over cow.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Goat is tasty and tastes unique; it won't remind you of beef or pork.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times
Have hunted it and eaten it. Generally the smaller one's are better eating.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 AM

507 posts, read 513,928 times
Yes I have tried it and the way my family member cooked it, it tasted just fine it almost reminded me of ox tail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink