Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:32 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,697 times

Advertisements

Well you can use a stock pot in the oven and cook it on low heat if you like. I don't use my crock pot all the time. So it really depends how much you are going to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
Thanks, kareybear. I don't think I ever found a use for them, but these days I see more people talking about their value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Well you can use a stock pot in the oven and cook it on low heat if you like. I don't use my crock pot all the time. So it really depends how much you are going to use it.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks, kareybear. I don't think I ever found a use for them, but these days I see more people talking about their value.

You can get a cast iron pot with lid that you can use on stove top or cook in the oven which make really good stews,cook whole chickens or get a Stoneware with lid and cook in the oven instead of a crockpot. Personally if you get a crockpot get the one that allow you to remove the pot part so it easier to clean and no electric wire in the way when cleaning and can get wet (ruined).

Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Do you think having a crockpot is a good idea? I don't have one.
I really like using a slow cooker. I cook several different dishes in it routinely and it comes in handy. If you are unsure about it you can always find a 20% off coupon to Linens and Things and use it with a sale so you won't have a big investment. Make sure that you get a removable crock; they are so much easier to clean! If you want some ideas for recipes for a slow cooker just go to allrecipes.com and do a search with the words "slow cooker".

Old 11-11-2007, 05:37 AM

204 posts, read 774,123 times
OnTheRoad-I cheat on dumplings-use Bisquick! Also another homemade spaghetti sauce (I call it gravy cause I use ground beef, sausage, pork ribs-nice and thick-cooked for hours).

Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 AM

204 posts, read 774,123 times
Kareybear-I, too, use my dutch oven and slow cook in the oven. Years ago had a slow cooker and my husband hated whatever came out-said everything tasted the same.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,304,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
Kareybear-I, too, use my dutch oven and slow cook in the oven. Years ago had a slow cooker and my husband hated whatever came out-said everything tasted the same.
My husband said the exact same thing. Although I loved the convience of the crock pot my husband said everything tasted the same everytime. I think after he said that to me I started to believe it--not that it was true. But I do use my dutch oven and slow cook and he loves that. I would have to think they would be very close to the same.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 AM

Cheating doesn't hurt if it works.

I was at a friend's house ages ago, and her mother had taught her Hungarian cooking; those dumplings, quick into the water, were among the best I'd ever had.

Now if it weren't morning, I'd want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
OnTheRoad-I cheat on dumplings-use Bisquick! Also another homemade spaghetti sauce (I call it gravy cause I use ground beef, sausage, pork ribs-nice and thick-cooked for hours).

Old 11-11-2007, 08:17 AM

I've never used a quick cooker, as you call it (crockpot) except at a friends as they really didn't cook themselves and only had that one pot, and a few saucepans.

It served many purposes, and I can see it as a solution for some long cooking dishes, but having cooked with a good Dutch oven, that may be the way to go. Unfortunately, I have an electric stove, and I haven't tried anything too involved yet, except one leek and potato soup.

So perhaps both are good to have in a kitchen.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,547 times
This is a great stew.... careful not to overcook the butternut squash. You can add it last. Very simple stew. You don't have to brown the meat — and the stew cooks in an easy hour.

FIRESIDE LAMB STEW

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, grated
2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
21/2 cups defatted chicken broth
1 dried ancho chili, stem and seeds removed
4 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
Zest of 1 orange, in wide strips
2 cups cubed (1 inch) butternut squash
2 roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup dried apricot halves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1. Combine the oil, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper in a large, heavy pot. Stir well, then add the meat. Toss the meat with the spice mixture to coat it well.
2. Add the broth, ancho chili, carrots, orange zest, and butternut squash. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat and simmer gently, partially covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes. Add the roasted peppers and dried apricots; cook, partially covered, until the lamb and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more. Remove and discard the chili and orange zest. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink