Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,064 times

Advertisements

We had a quick meal tonight: fried corn, sliced tomato, biscuits and jelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,423 times
Stir fries ~ can pick up already sliced veggies and meat at a grocery salad bar if you are pressed for time. Those frittatas mentioned above can use any extra veggies you didn't use in the stir fry.

Smoked sausage links or brats with jarred red cabbage, potatoes of any type, and rye bread.

Ham steak, canned navy beans, microwaved green vegetable

Rotisserie chicken turned into quesadillas, fajitas, or enchiladas, served with pico de gallo, guacamole, fresh salsa, black beans, or refried beans; or rotisserie chicken covered with barbecue sauce and served with deli potato salad and baked beans.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
We use our George Foreman grill a lot. What we generally put on it are boneless pork chops or chicken breasts. Tonight for example we put a couple of breasts on it, seasoned with Everglades seasoning, made some red potatoes in the microwave and then cut them up and tossed them with butter and seasoning, and then steamed some broccoli as a side dish. The whole meal took about 20 minutes and probably cost $ 8.00 for my Son and myself.

We also cook Tilapia in the oven along with some scallops with stuffing that our local grocery store sells in shells, add a baked or sweet potato, and some vegetable for a side dish, and another 20 minute meal. So much healthier than a lot of other things we could make and pretty inexpensive.

Don

Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Mussels are great for a quick meal. They're usually sold in a 2-lb bag for about $5 and they're open water farmed and sustainable, so good for the environment and budget as well. Perfect for 2 people. rinse the mussels of grit and pull off any beard.

Get your big pot out, and decide on your flavor profile, but for sure you'll need to dice a medium onion and saute in butter or olive oil until tender and add a couple of clove of crushed garlic.

If french, get about a cup of white wine (or juice of a lemon if you don't drink), some butter and a cup or two of chicken or seafood stock, shake in some tarragon. Bring that all up to a boil and throw in the mussels, put a lid on it and reduce heat to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes.

Always: Toss out any mussels that didn't open up. split the rest between two bowls and pour the cooking liquid over, serve with crusty bread.

If thai, a can of coconut milk and some red curry paste and stock, throw in some basil. Use lime juice instead of lemon. Serve over rice instead of with bread.

If Italian, you'll need to crumble up some Italian sausage and cook it with the onion, white wine or lemon juice, shaved fennel if you want/like it, basil and oregano. Sprinkle with a little parmesan if you like.
I was going to suggest mussels. Quick, inexpensive and easy. I get a kilo of Maritime Blue Mussels for $3.99. I make them French style, but in addition to the white wine, broth and garlic, I add some celery, cream, parsley and parmesan cheese. A nice fresh baguette to mop up the sauce with and you have a mean fit for royalty. Delicious!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
If you want a REALLY quick and easy recipe that tastes like you slaved over it, here's my maple-baked salmon recipe. Everyone raves about it.
In an oven-proof dish, marinate a nice filet of salmon in about a third of a cup of real maple syrup, a few spoonfuls of soy sauce, some fresh grated ginger and fresh minced garlic. (never marinate fish for more than about 20 minutes. The flesh starts breaking down)
Slide the whole thing into a 350 oven until it flakes. Bake it uncovered if you want a thicker, more caramelized sauce. Serve with rice and salad.
That's it, that's all.
Unbelievably good. I have it on good authority that even fish-hating husbands like it.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Mussels are great for a quick meal. They're usually sold in a 2-lb bag for about $5 and they're open water farmed and sustainable, so good for the environment and budget as well. Perfect for 2 people. rinse the mussels of grit and pull off any beard.

Get your big pot out, and decide on your flavor profile, but for sure you'll need to dice a medium onion and saute in butter or olive oil until tender and add a couple of clove of crushed garlic.

If french, get about a cup of white wine (or juice of a lemon if you don't drink), some butter and a cup or two of chicken or seafood stock, shake in some tarragon. Bring that all up to a boil and throw in the mussels, put a lid on it and reduce heat to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes.

Always: Toss out any mussels that didn't open up. split the rest between two bowls and pour the cooking liquid over, serve with crusty bread.

If thai, a can of coconut milk and some red curry paste and stock, throw in some basil. Use lime juice instead of lemon. Serve over rice instead of with bread.

If Italian, you'll need to crumble up some Italian sausage and cook it with the onion, white wine or lemon juice, shaved fennel if you want/like it, basil and oregano. Sprinkle with a little parmesan if you like.
We don't get mussels quite that cheap, but they are pretty darn inexpensive. I have gotten to the place where we buy them, already seasoned and in a little butter sauce. We get them at Sam's or Aldi's. Last night that is just what we had, plus I cooked up a few shrimp. I put the shrimp on top of penni pasta with pesto, and made a green salad. Dinner took about 20 minutes and it was so yummy.

BTW, OP, you said things different than say, spaghetti, since when is good spaghetti a quick meal. I take all day to make ours.

another quick meal for us, is frozen pizza, doctored up. I don't like the store frozen pizzas but I do love to keep a Sams, Aldi's or Pappa Murphys' pizza in the freezer. We will add canned artichoke hearts, maybe a little more meat and/or veggies and top with decent cheese.

2 other suggestions that have already been made: grilled salmon, with a salad and maybe rice or grilled veggies and using your George Foreman or whatever. I have a Griddler, and I use it so much it looks like it is 20 years old, but it isn't even a year old. I don't think I have ever had anything I use more or enjoy more. I can cook a chick breast in about 5 or 6 minutes, with the lid down. At the same time there is room for grilled veggies.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 AM

141 posts, read 353,537 times
I like to make salmon with a lemon butter sauce, served with mashed potatoes and either steamed broccoli or a salad. Quick and tasty.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Last night I opened the fridge and pulled out a tub of hummus, some baby carrots, celery, green onions, and cucumbers. A feast!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
can of hormel chili with beans.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 AM

566 posts, read 1,107,201 times
Onion burgers...

Brown some grass finished ground beef or bison. Add some organic vegetable broth and alot of onions/garlic. Serve on toasted gluten free buns.
Some rice chips.
Bubbas pickles.
(I like a little ketchup on my sloppy onion burger) and fresh made lemonade sweetened with organic leaf stevia It's quick. And while cooking it smells *and tastes delicious.

Maybe a little coconut ice cream with cookie dough for dessert?

Or, BREAKFAST! Waffles and turkey sausage and some decaf coffee. I never have time in the morning. I love g/f waffles.

Last edited by hellothereIN; 08-06-2013 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Thought of another one :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink