Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times

Advertisements

I'd say I have 100 if you include all the herbs & spices in various forms, different varieties of peppers & chiles, hanging bulbs of different garlic varieties, extracts and emulsions, different varieties of hot sauce, liquid smoke, and a few powdered condiments (powdered soy sauce, worchestershire, wasabi, etc).

I built an adjustable spice rack into a stud bay in my pantry wall, 14" x 90", but each shelf is only 4" deep so they stay organized and I don't "lose" any in the back.

When I didn't cook so much from scratch, I had maybe 20-30 with 10-15 blends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
:genuflecting: at 150-plus spices!

(Note to CD, we need a genuflecting icon please!)

I'm guessing in the 50-ish range. Many in a dry corner cabinet, others in the freezer. I buy quite a few Indian, Ethiopian and Middle Eastern spices at specialty store and online. Blends/pastes such as berbere and curry and garam masala usually end up in the freezer because they seem to keep much better frozen.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 PM

When I started canning more, I found that really helped me use up all the weakened seasonings in my cupboard and pretty much keeps me from having any that are over a year old.

Still, I personally found it hard to use up even one of the tiny bottles of some spices before they went flat. But I can use them up in home canning, especially if I give some of those jars away as gifts. For instance, I loathe clove & anise and only use a tiny amount in a couple dishes a few times a year, but several of my canning recipes for condiments use small amounts that aren't overpowering, and the few that are more noticeable my family & friends enjoy. So I can get one of the small bottles and use most of it up all at once before it has a chance to go flat.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I have about 30, I believe. Including blends.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:11 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
I would guess between 30 - 50. I typically grow cilantro, basil, parsley and oregano in the kitchen window.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Probably at least 100. Just brought back some brown mustard seeds & juniper berries from a recent trip, since you can't buy them around here. I also order online sometimes. Anybody want half a case of green peppercorns? J/k
What's funny, growing up, my Mama's spice collection was Morton's salt, black pepper (ground), & cinnamon. I right now have at least a dozen salts.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM

The seasoning pack I keep in my camping gear is probably more than some people have in their kitchens.

White iodized salt, pink mineral salt, black pepper, season salt/steak rub, minced garlic, garlic salt, onion powder, chili powder, curry powder, Italian blend, Old Bay, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla infused powdered sugar, pie spice blend, and Tabasco. I'd say that's the minimum to cook anything you threw at me.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Probably at least 100. Just brought back some brown mustard seeds & juniper berries from a recent trip, since you can't buy them around here. I also order online sometimes. Anybody want half a case of green peppercorns? J/k
What's funny, growing up, my Mama's spice collection was Morton's salt, black pepper (ground), & cinnamon. I right now have at least a dozen salts.
That's funny...I have a sibling who is a major foodie (and can afford to be) and he collects various salts; he probably has a dozen at least too.

On the other hand (I was going to post a thread about this) I recently realized I have NO salt in my house, and I do a lot of cooking! In October it will be three years since I have been in this house and I'm pretty sure I've never bought or owned salt since I've been here.

I do have powdered veggie and chicken stock that I sometimes use in a pinch, so to speak. It's salty. And I use cheese fairly liberally, and cheese contains salt. I use lots of other spices and blends and lots of pepper. But no salt on its own, for the sake of it.

I think I am weird in this regard.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

I think I am weird in this regard.
Not weird---different!
I don't use massive amounts of salt, but I have found that if I season the food while cooking, my husband won't put huge amounts on the food I serve. Just a little "kitchen witchery".

Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM

166 posts, read 300,106 times
Forgot salt and pepper-guess that makes 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink