Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times

Advertisements

Don't forget the Spanish rice....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The whole intent of this thread was to see how anyone could meet the challenge.
The last time I encountered anything similar was the ninth season of Dallas (look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Future threads discounted .

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 08-23-2013 at 01:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 01:36 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I would buy ground beef for burgers and then vegan veggie burgers both which could go on the grill. Possibly some bbq chicken as well. The sides such as salad, corn on the cob, fruits so forth could all be made to fit both ways of eating.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:39 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I would buy ground beef for burgers and then vegan veggie burgers both which could go on the grill. Possibly some bbq chicken as well. The sides such as salad, corn on the cob, fruits so forth could all be made to fit both ways of eating.
I would do something similar. Regular burgers, veggie burgers and turkey burgers, regular hot dogs & vegetable hot dogs, chicken, ribs, skewers of assorted vegetables and fruit, and an assortment of fixings and sides.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 AM

471 posts, read 977,336 times
I would tell my guests what I am having ahead of time and they can choose to come or not. Better yet, have them bring a "dish to pass" so they can have their special food without all the fuss..

Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 AM

62 posts, read 163,142 times
We've made pizza on the grill. It's a lot of fun and everyone likes pizza, right?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:42 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
You are going to have picky eaters regardless so when you have a big BBQ like that you just have to have a little bit of everything so it satisfies anyone. If you have some REAL picky people then they should be responsible to bring whatever makes them happy to eat...

Old 08-23-2013, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Some will not eat red meat, some want eat seafood, some will not eat pork, some are vegans so what will you prepare to make sure everyone is well fed and happy?
wow: I guess you start with a couple of meats, maybe beef and chicken, make cold slaw without any mayo for the vegans and a bean dish without using pork or any other meat products, You can also make a potato salad which everyone except the vegans can and would probably eat. Then there is always a veggie platter with a flavored hummus and a big bowl of fruit. Don't forget quality bread and some spreads that are not dairy product based; various mustards are a good start. You might also ask everyone to bring a little something, not a true pot luck but just a little sample of something they really enjoy and they might want to share and don't forget the beer, soft drinks and decent wine.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I think this is what I will serve:

A fruit, berry, and cubed cheese platter
Grilled chicken quarters
One brisket
A smoked turkey breast heated in the oven
Some grilled grouper
A grilled whole pork loin
A stir fry using a real hammered wok with veggies and tofu

For veggies,
Green bean casserole
Pickled beats
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato
Creamed corn
Steamed broccoli

For breads,
Dark steakhouse rolls
Homemade yeast rolls

Dessert,
Coconut cream pie
Apple Pie
Pecan pie
Dark Forest Cake
Pound Cake
Fresh Fruit salad

And the leftovers stay with me.
I think you are trying to be too accommodating and you are cooking for about 50 people it sounds like, not 20..Either they are really huge eaters or you are going to have left overs for a year. Or maybe you are practicing to open a restaurant?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you are trying to be too accommodating and you are cooking for about 50 people it sounds like, not 20..Either they are really huge eaters or you are going to have left overs for a year. Or maybe you are practicing to open a restaurant?
It's like this. If you are a well know and respected caterer with a classy clientele base this is what you will often be faced with and you need to keep your reputation up. So you go the second and third miles to out perform the competition. There will be winners and losers in any business and the winners are the ones who can think things through and accommodate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink