Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
To the OP, I want you as my friend! How nice of you to bring food to your friend's move.

When we moved, I fixed a crock pot full of pulled pork and one of Italian beef with small hard rolls which I had pre-cut. I bought potato chips and fixed a pasta salad which was not mayo based (Italian dressing type salad) so it could sit out longer. Finger foods for dessert, included cookies and brownies and a couple of 2 liter bottles of cola/sprite and a jug of iced tea. I personally don't think it's necessary to have a full meal, just sandwiches is enough and this way the people doing the moving can eat when they get a chance.

Don't forget the strong paper plates, plastic utensils and plastic/paper cups. Be sure to take a heavy garbage bag for the dirty plates, cups, and utensils. Bag it up and toss it in the pile of "throw away moving stuff". Just make sure there is enough to go around. Those strong men get hungry when using their brute strength.

Hope your friend's move goes off with no upsets.
Totally agree with you - I think a tray of wraps/sandwiches/finger foods are perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl81 View Post
when you move, you have to order pizza. It's the law.
^^^^this!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Lunchables, pizza, fried chicken or other casual dining family meal to go (Chik-Fila, Koo-Ka-Roo, La Salsa, Boston Market, etc.), or chinese takeout..

Then, just provide paper plates, bowls, plastic spoons and forks.

Or, as an economical alternative, prepare a meatloaf or something like a Taco Casserole, or Shepherd's Pie, or Spaghetti with a salad and other side dish, bread and provide paper goods.

While this is a bit of work for you, it makes having a meal easier on your friends.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:38 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
Thanks for all these ideas. I do have multiple slow cookers, chafing dishes and foil pans, so I can certainly put those to good use. I do understand all the comments about take out, but here is the deal...I am known as a cook. When I asked my friend what would be the most helpful thing I could do on moving day she didn't hesitate to say "dinner!". She wasn't talking about take out - although I agree with the pizza law. I am guessing I can put something in the slow cooker, make a big ole pasta salad, bake some brownies and have wine and beer ready to go and just slip back home after a day of unpacking to load it all up and take it over. I live about 5 minutes from where they are moving. I have all the necessary paper goods to go with it.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Sounds like fun.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
I'd take her out to eat.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Here is what I do for my neighbors/friends both moving in and out:

Hot weather: Quality cold cuts along with hand cut veggies (tomatoes, lettuce, onions) and a jar each of zesty and bread and butter pickles along with condiments and a selection of breads. Pasta & Potato Salads, Chips, Fruit such as Watermelon or Fruit Salad with Dip. Brownies. Gallons of Lemonade and Iced Tea.

Regular Weather: Pulled Pork in the Slow Cooker, already made and shredded with BBQ sauce on it, have it in the slow cooker on low. Sides of Pasta & Potato Salads, Chips. Brownies. Gallons of Lemonade and Iced Tea.

Cold Weather: Either Soup or Chili which I take over in the slow cooker, with toppings and crackers. Pan of my homemade cornbread. Green Salad. Cookies. Assorted Drinks and a Carafe of Homemade Hot Chocolate.

I do use slow cooker liners and take the salads in disposable containers. I supply all paper goods, utensils, etc. I like to pick these up during the year and have them on hand. I also take a trash bag. The only thing I get back is the slow cooker. I have extra slow cookers that I keep for these occasions.

Once people are settled a bit more I will take over a lasagna or casserole and of course invite them over to my house. But for moving days a grab and go that isn't fast food is welcome. I always fix a ton because there are always other family members or movers present so I want to make sure there is plenty.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,164 times
My 88 year old mother and I are moving this next weekend and we will be eating out or I will go get something and bring it back. The kitchen won't be unpacked until the next day so cooking is out of the question. And pizza?? Yuck....no way!! It'll be Chinese or Boston Market with enough for leftovers.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
When you move, you have to order pizza. It's the law.
I would rep you more but the rep meter would explode.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
Hey all! Great suggestions. I thought I would report back what I actually did.

First, I prepped food in the morning, put it in the fridge and then my DH, myself and one of my kids went over to help with the move. After asking a number of questions about how she would like things I was then able to put her entire beautiful kitchen together. Some people wouldn't necessarily like someone else to do that, but she was thrilled. When they were ready for dinner I went back home and got the food. I marinated chicken and we grilled it on their Big Green Egg, I also made pasta salad with fresh pesto, artichokes and kalamata olives, potato rolls and brownies for dessert. We ate on real plates with real silverware.

They had us back the next evening for rib eyes and an ice cream party for the teenagers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink