Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,793,424 times

Advertisements

Did you see this on CBS This Morning? I agree but as a good Southern Girl I will always stick with Duke's Mayonnaise. it's just a Southern Thing.

Consumer Reports: Some generics beat name brands - CBS News Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,007,929 times
many generics or store brands are made by the national brands/companies,,, they put the items out to bid

Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,512,231 times
Best Store Brand EVER

Kirkland.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
I don't find this a surprise at all: Like mainebrokerman said, many store brands are the same as the national brands. This has been known for ages, I thought. Now, for Consumers Report, I gave up on them ages ago. There studies are not that detailed and I just don't put much trust in what they say. It might just be me....

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,730,900 times
Some generics are better, and some are just plain bad.

Our local grocery store HEB has a super-cheap generic brand called Econo Max. Everything I've tried from that brand has been so bad we couldn't eat it. Sometimes not even my dog will eat it, which is saying a lot considering the things she does eat. It's like they just made it look like food, they didn't make it out of anything edible.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 AM

47,855 posts, read 21,879,068 times
When I was a kid we visited the Kellogg and Post factories in Michigan....I was amazed to see the boxes with different labels on the conveyor belt all getting filled with the same corn flakes etc from the same hopper.....first the brand name and then all the store and generic brands.

Now I know sometimes there is a difference.....I noticed the store brand of canned green beans....has more stem ends with stems still attached--I don't know if that is still the case but it was when I tried the store brand of green beans (years ago).
That turned me off to generic or store brand canned vegetables.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 AM

41,732 posts, read 74,684,043 times
Yeah, this isn't exactly news. One of the reasons I was a loyal Kroger shopper when I lived in Ohio was the quality of its house brands (well, except maybe for the old Cost Cutter brand ... ).

Meijer store brands are pretty good, too.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,073,466 times
There are many generic and store brands which I find are much better and more full than the much more expensive name brands. I will always try the generic and store brands and make my own decision whether or not I want to buy it again. I don't think I can lump all generic and store brands together and say I won't buy generic or a store brand just because I found one can of something I didn't like. I like to save money too well and those generic and store brands do save me lots of money.

Many times when you buy a name brand, the company which makes it owns several other name brands. One of these is the Grupo Bimbo, a Mexico based company which bought the Sara Lee North American Bakery business a couple of years ago. That company also owns Entenmann, Boboli, Thomas, Arnold, Brownberry and Oraweat and of course Bimbo. Sara Lee also bakes for generic and store brands, and in fact not long ago at our Walmart, I saw the man delivering Sara Lee, also had Walmart brand bread on his rack.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 AM

16,358 posts, read 30,066,770 times
If you want some of the finest private label brands, Loblaw's (Canada) President's Choice brand has some of the highest quality products that I have seen. They are NOT readily in the US at this time although they have been carried by Jewel and Schnuck's over the years.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
There are many generic and store brands which I find are much better and more full than the much more expensive name brands. I will always try the generic and store brands and make my own decision whether or not I want to buy it again. I don't think I can lump all generic and store brands together and say I won't buy generic or a store brand just because I found one can of something I didn't like. I like to save money too well and those generic and store brands do save me lots of money.

Many times when you buy a name brand, the company which makes it owns several other name brands. One of these is the Grupo Bimbo, a Mexico based company which bought the Sara Lee North American Bakery business a couple of years ago. That company also owns Entenmann, Boboli, Thomas, Arnold, Brownberry and Oraweat and of course Bimbo. Sara Lee also bakes for generic and store brands, and in fact not long ago at our Walmart, I saw the man delivering Sara Lee, also had Walmart brand bread on his rack.
We have found the brand of soup $ General carries is just as good as Campbell's when it comes to the cream style and hubby likes Aldi's bean and bacon better than Campbell's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink