Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 PM

537 posts, read 740,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Kathryn, you are obviously a gourmet chef.

When are you inviting all of us over for dinner?
I was thinking the same thing. Mmmmmmmmmm . . . Yummy food.

Seriously, it is hard for those of us who enjoy multiple cuisines. Especially if you live in "flyover country" like I do.

I have to keep my special Indian/Asian spices in a box in the pantry and pull them out when I get the Indian/Thai food "jones". It's hard to always have the fresh ingredients, though. If I know I'm going to make Thai I have to run to the store to get fresh cilantro and the other exotic ingredients. I keep ginger root in the freezer but some items you just have to head for the stores to get what you need. It's not like we have open air markets here in rural 'Merika.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
The only draw back is they are exposed to light.
You must have missed the post that I added later that stated that I had re arranged my cabinets so I could put them up away from light and heat.

I moved my cookbooks into a bookcase and moved the spices into that cabinet - here:

Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post

Seriously, it is hard for those of us who enjoy multiple cuisines. Especially if you live in "flyover country" like I do.

I have to keep my special Indian/Asian spices in a box in the pantry and pull them out when I get the Indian/Thai food "jones". It's hard to always have the fresh ingredients, though. If I know I'm going to make Thai I have to run to the store to get fresh cilantro and the other exotic ingredients. I keep ginger root in the freezer but some items you just have to head for the stores to get what you need. It's not like we have open air markets here in rural 'Merika.
True dat. Amazon is one of my best friends! That and ziplock bags!!! And I have three good spots to get fresh items from - one is 40 minutes away, one is an hour and the MOTHERLODE is two hours away - but worth the drive if I want to do a major stock up!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:17 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Wow, I am in awe.

That is a work of organisation art.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:

That's sad, I have bunches of fresh markets within an easy drive. Lots of Asian shops here too who sell cheap herbs veges and fruit, straight out of someone's garden.

I went to Hong Kong once and nearly starved to death, there was hardly anything fresh or leafy.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
That's sad, I have bunches of fresh markets within an easy drive. Lots of Asian shops here too who sell cheap herbs veges and fruit, straight out of someone's garden.

I went to Hong Kong once and nearly starved to death, there was hardly anything fresh or leafy.
Lucky you. I guess it's a trade off for choosing to live in canyon country. Thank Yahweh for the internet. I've got spices that I never could have since I lived in Chicago back in the day.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Lucky you. I guess it's a trade off for choosing to live in canyon country. Thank Yahweh for the internet. I've got spices that I never could have since I lived in Chicago back in the day.
If it wasn't for Amazon, I think I'd go crazy!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If it wasn't for Amazon, I think I'd go crazy!
I guess I shouldn't paint myself too pitifully. I can drive an hour and fifteen minutes into Flagstaff, Az. but it's hardly a casual stroll through the market like some lucky peeps can do. Trade offs, I guess.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't paint myself too pitifully. I can drive an hour and fifteen minutes into Flagstaff, Az. but it's hardly a casual stroll through the market like some lucky peeps can do. Trade offs, I guess.
I know what you mean. I love where I live, but it does mean that my shopping options can be limited - but only by my imagination apparently because Amazon carries EVERYTHING. It's like Christmas all the time around here!

And I don't have to order something expensive to get all excited. There's something about getting a package in the mail that's just so much dang fun!

Old 11-03-2015, 01:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,661 times
Kathryn, I fell asleep last night thinking about this thread and wondering how quickly I'd be able to find it again. I knew I had to do something. I was in a hurry yesterday and looking for ONE spice, and emptied the entire contents of 2 kitchen cabinets looking for it. My stress spread quickly through the household and so here I am today thinking, "Hmmm. If my spices were alphabetical, I'd have stumbled across the anise in 4 seconds. "

All I know is, I was impressed with what you did and I need to see it again, lol. The pictures aren't there any more. I hope you see this - I'll pm if you don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink