U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 05:03 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

Found a box of the stuff in the pantry that DH bought by mistake when I had macaroni on the shopping list. I hadn't fixed it in many many months if not years so I was shocked to see the powder was brownish and not the bright orange i remember. No expiration date and I couldn't find anything on the web. Did I get a bad batch or did they change the stuff? I fed it to the kids and they are still breathing and upright after an hour so I'm guess it's not too bad.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
I don't think that it is supposed to be brown. Probably, there was a puncture in the package that allowed enough air in to allow oxidation.

A little chemistry went on but apparently none that produced any toxic compounds because your kids are still upright.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,279,188 times
Just made some..it was the usually orange color.
Kraft is making flavored mac and cheese now....
We tried the grilled cheese one and the color was a little off, but not brown.
Tasted yucky by the way.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:44 AM

12,971 posts, read 22,613,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Found a box of the stuff in the pantry that DH bought by mistake when I had macaroni on the shopping list. I hadn't fixed it in many many months if not years so I was shocked to see the powder was brownish and not the bright orange i remember.
No, it's still made in the same old DayGlo orange it's been for years.

Quote:
No expiration date and I couldn't find anything on the web.
To clarify this common myth, there is no expiration date on this product or any other packaged foods except infant formula. These dates, when you do find them on packages, because they are not required, are simply freshness controls that allow proper stock rotation on the shelf, with newest at the rear. Typically for something like this that date is two years from manufacturing, but the food is safe to eat for years afterwards. It just gradually declines in quality.

Quote:
Did I get a bad batch or did they change the stuff? I fed it to the kids and they are still breathing and upright after an hour so I'm guess it's not too bad.
My bet is that the product was subjected to improper storage, probably at very high temperatures for a long time. My choice, unless it was absolutely the last thing to eat in the house, would likely have been to find something else to feed the kids, and to take the package with the powdered sauce back to the store for a refund or replacement.

But in the heat of battle, I know, sometimes tough choices have to be made...

Old 03-23-2017, 02:11 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,453,442 times
I think the colours may have changed a little when they changed all thier stuff years back..... (No more artifical dyes I guess)

I recently tried Kraft 3 CHEESE again since they changed all thier mac and cheese products.. I used to LOVE thier reg mac and cheese but they changed it and now the cheese doesnt have any milk in it .... It tastes disgusting!! (@ least to me)

I have been getting desperate for GOOD food lately so I started looking over Kraft 3 CHEESE and GREAT VALUE 3 CHEESE SAUCE mac and cheese and Great values has MALTODEXTRIN in it (Which I dont want) so that was out and Kraft has SKIM MILK in it (As well as reg milk in the sauce)

Between Maltodextrin and Skim milk,I will take SKIM MILK anyday!

I got a box of Kraft 3 cheese and the cheese was bright orange or yellow,cant tell which it was...... It was pretty good!!!!! -- I didnt know if it would be since they changed it years ago but I did not want GREAT VALUES!! (If they remove MALTODEXTRIN I might try it)

As far as I can tell this 3 CHEESE SAUCE from Kraft is the only kind now that has MILK in the sauce!! (Which makes it so good) and when you make it with WHOLE MILK,its even better!! (Hides the crappy skim milk taste (if it has skim milk which this does))

I L0VE mac and cheese lyke crrrraaaaaaaaazy!!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:04 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Oh my

Old 03-31-2017, 07:53 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,476,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think the colours may have changed a little when they changed all thier stuff years back..... (No more artifical dyes I guess)

I recently tried Kraft 3 CHEESE again since they changed all thier mac and cheese products.. I used to LOVE thier reg mac and cheese but they changed it and now the cheese doesnt have any milk in it .... It tastes disgusting!! (@ least to me)

I have been getting desperate for GOOD food lately so I started looking over Kraft 3 CHEESE and GREAT VALUE 3 CHEESE SAUCE mac and cheese and Great values has MALTODEXTRIN in it (Which I dont want) so that was out and Kraft has SKIM MILK in it (As well as reg milk in the sauce)

Between Maltodextrin and Skim milk,I will take SKIM MILK anyday!

I got a box of Kraft 3 cheese and the cheese was bright orange or yellow,cant tell which it was...... It was pretty good!!!!! -- I didnt know if it would be since they changed it years ago but I did not want GREAT VALUES!! (If they remove MALTODEXTRIN I might try it)

As far as I can tell this 3 CHEESE SAUCE from Kraft is the only kind now that has MILK in the sauce!! (Which makes it so good) and when you make it with WHOLE MILK,its even better!! (Hides the crappy skim milk taste (if it has skim milk which this does))

I L0VE mac and cheese lyke crrrraaaaaaaaazy!!
Dude, you might try making it from scratch. Like from a recipe, maybe from a cookbook? Then you know exactly what is in it.

Especially if you're desperate for GOOD food.

Not that mac and cheese, and especially boxed mac and cheese is GOOD food. JMO.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:03 PM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Found a box of the stuff in the pantry that DH bought by mistake when I had macaroni on the shopping list. I hadn't fixed it in many many months if not years so I was shocked to see the powder was brownish and not the bright orange i remember. No expiration date and I couldn't find anything on the web. Did I get a bad batch or did they change the stuff? I fed it to the kids and they are still breathing and upright after an hour so I'm guess it's not too bad.
Must be old. Food companies are phasing out artificial dyes, maybe that's why??
2015 was the last year that the original version of Kraft Mac & Cheese sold in the U.S. that contain artificial preservatives or synthetic colors. From January 2016, Kraft says, it's macaroni and cheese will be colored using paprika, annatto and turmeric.
But I don't think the powder contain much cheese, if any:
https://steemit.com/food/@andrewfood...food-scientist

^^^^^^^^^ Dude, you should read this: ^^^^^

Last edited by elnina; 03-31-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,409,215 times
Well, now it's REALLY old since the OP is from 2013.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:06 PM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
Just an FYI: The Original Post was from 2013. I am going to go ahead and close this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.