U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,058,527 times

Advertisements

I love going to Whole Foods and filling up on their salad bars and vegetarian bars. But it really creeps me out the thought of all that food sitting out all day with people walking by and sticking their hands in it. I've seen some pretty gross things at salad bars, like little kids reaching into grab something. I can only imagine all the stuff floating through the air that lands in the salad, hair and dandruff and whatnot.

I've finally decided that the best thing to do is get their early just as they're putting the food out, because then it's fresh and uncontaminated. Otherwise, I just have to eat the food fast and not think about what's in it.

greenie
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:20 AM

118 posts, read 466,221 times
Early in the day seems logical, but you are only getting the left-overs from last night. YUCK!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:23 AM

67 posts, read 188,658 times
also who is to say that the kitchen help doesn't get hair in the food cutting up the veggies, or making the salad.......Or anything else. Kitchens in places like that are usually clean because of inspections but you still have employees that may not wash their hands, or all kinds of things. What I am saying it is pretty hard to get away from all that YUK!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:33 AM

415 posts, read 1,743,467 times
I personally dont eat out or eat from salad bars. I make everything myself. I really started doing this because someone i know got hepatitis from eating contaminated food. Turns out,some guy working in the pizza place had hepatitis and didnt wash his hands before preparing food. Gross. I dont trust anyone with my food.There may be a certificate on the wall that says it meets the health dept. code but they only come once in a while. Its not like someone from the health dept. is sitting over them.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,867,210 times
I think you take a chance where ever you eat.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
Early in the day seems logical, but you are only getting the left-overs from last night. YUCK!
At Whole Foods they "compost" leftover food.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
I personally dont eat out or eat from salad bars. I make everything myself. I really started doing this because someone i know got hepatitis from eating contaminated food. Turns out,some guy working in the pizza place had hepatitis and didnt wash his hands before preparing food. Gross. I dont trust anyone with my food.There may be a certificate on the wall that says it meets the health dept. code but they only come once in a while. Its not like someone from the health dept. is sitting over them.
So basically, he had gotten his own feces on his hands, came out of the toilet, spun that pizza dough around regardless. I would have thought the heat would have killed the hepatitis virus.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
The world is crawling with bacteria, including your own body. Just try to stop thinking about it. If we knew what touched the food we eat in its travels to our tables, no one would ever eat again.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The world is crawling with bacteria, including your own body. Just try to stop thinking about it. If we knew what touched the food we eat in its travels to our tables, no one would ever eat again.
I'm not worried about bacteria. I'm worried about what falls into food that just left to sit there out in the open all day. All that dandruff and dead skin that comes off people and floats onto the food bar. How about when someone reaches over the potato salad and a bugger drops out of their nose? Or their disgusting shirt sleeve drags across the tabouli -- or when some homeless guy walks through the store and dunks his dirty hand in the artificial crab to grab a handful to much on?

I can't go there anymore. I feel sick.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:02 PM

2,072 posts, read 10,867,210 times
I hope I'm not getting off the topic ............ Here's my co-worker, sitting behind me with the flu? and runny nose. She went home early on Thursday and all day today (Friday) I watched her wipe her nose with her hand, Notr to mention all the papers she was handling. ICK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink