U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 PM

1,012 posts, read 954,182 times

Advertisements

I need some breakfast ideas. I can't digest eggs anymore, and am trying to cut back on bread/wheat. I prefer savory breakfasts over sweet ones. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,588,936 times
hummus with cut-up veggies,
nuke a potato in the microwave and top with shredded cheese,
get some of the pre-roasted chicken strips and top with a little satay sauce & roll up in a lettuce leaf (or top with baba ganush and a dollop of yogurt)

Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 AM

69,463 posts, read 79,677,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I need some breakfast ideas. I can't digest eggs anymore, and am trying to cut back on bread/wheat. I prefer savory breakfasts over sweet ones. Any ideas?
boy that really limits your choices: Of course anything with cheese will do wonders. My daughters favorite breakfast is a cup of cottage cheese, coffee and a glass of veggie juice. That is one option. Just a couple of slices of cheese is another or melt it on a single slice of toast. I know, you said cut back on bread, but you didn't say eliminate it. Oatmeal is another option, but I can't imagine eating it without something a little sweet, maybe a handful of crasens or raisins? and of course why not use egg substitutes instead of eggs. they are not the best, but not bad, all chopped veggies and cheese.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 PM

1,012 posts, read 954,182 times
Potatoes and cheese are excellent ideas. And lettuce in place of bread -- I could roll up just about anything in lettuce! (Except maybe pb&j...)
Thank you.
Last night I also came up with soup. Would be a nice way to start a winter day.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,365,541 times
I cook for a diverse crowd and one with similar issues like you, I like this blog a lot for ideas: The Sensitive Pantry - Gluten-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free, & Vegan Recipes

Along with this recipe for breakfast from there:

Raspberry Pancakes (Gluten & Dairy Free)

Ooh another, eggless and wheat free crepe: http://table-foods.blogspot.com/2012...-and-love.html

You sub the ingredients back in that you can have, like instead of coconut sugar, regular sugar. Teff flour is wheat free and a great alternative to flour. I get it online from Amazon and at my local Harris teeter store.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM

21,053 posts, read 25,916,980 times
Whatever you eat the rest of the day is perfectly acceptable for breakfast. There is no reason to limit yourself to "breakfast food".

I eat mostly home made granola and fruit for breakfast, but leftover nachos are my favorite and you can't beat cold pizza for breakfast.

There is no wheat in my house, so the pizza does not contain wheat.

Eat a cup of soup and some cornbread Eat a quasadilla made with a corn tortilla. If you want savory, put a couple of jalapenos and some hot sauce into that quesadilla.

I like leftover pot roast for breakfast, or, really a favorite, leftover lasagna made with gluten free noodles.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 PM

34,756 posts, read 42,885,060 times
Shrimp and Grits

Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,500,156 times
Grits, for sure.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 AM

21,518 posts, read 22,777,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Oatmeal doesn't always have to be made with fruit or brown sugar. You can just as easily add garlic and spinach or salsa and cheese.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,715,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Whatever you eat the rest of the day is perfectly acceptable for breakfast. There is no reason to limit yourself to "breakfast food".

I eat mostly home made granola and fruit for breakfast, but leftover nachos are my favorite and you can't beat cold pizza for breakfast.

There is no wheat in my house, so the pizza does not contain wheat.

Eat a cup of soup and some cornbread Eat a quasadilla made with a corn tortilla. If you want savory, put a couple of jalapenos and some hot sauce into that quesadilla.

I like leftover pot roast for breakfast, or, really a favorite, leftover lasagna made with gluten free noodles.
I agree with this completely. Unless the thought of lunch and dinner type foods turns your stomach in the morning, I see nothing wrong with just finding something you'd normally eat at another type of day.

I also second the hummus with veggies. That is a great morning option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink