U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM

6,134 posts, read 7,190,023 times

Advertisements

I love to go to our local Chinese buffet. I usually have a little bit of WonTon soup. They make a nice lo mein, so that's my substitute for rice. When there's walnut chicken, I'm all over that. They make a really good seasoned green bean, still a little crunchy and I like a veggie that doesn't turn to gray mush. I'll have mussels and pepper steak and ...

I have learned that Chinese restaurants aren't big on desserts. The buffet here has three kinds of pudding - chocolate, vanilla and tapioca - all canned. There is a tray of peeled and cut bananas meant to be smothered in Sweet and Sour sauce. Generally some kind of cake cut in one inch squares. The place that closed used to have Cheerios (hand to God!) and Twinkies cut in half. My choice is always a couple of Chinese doughnuts and a slice of melon.

My choice of beverage has always been hot tea, but in recent years, it isn't the wonderful brew I was used to when I lived in D.C. and ate in some of the restaurants there, where the dessert choice was either mandarin orange slices or almond cookie.

True Story: Seated in a Chinese restaurant with a friend, a father-daughter couple at the next table were arguing about her wish for a pet cat. Father was trying to explain that he didn't mind but it was Mom who was against it. The discussion got a bit loud and my friend and I laughed hysterically when the Chinese owner went over to the booth and in a very loud voice proclaimed, "We no serve cat here! You say we have cat, you lie. We no have cat!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,417,548 times
Any of these would do fine:

Mongolian Beef
Shrimp With Lobster Sauce
Cashew Shrimp
Walnut Shrimp

Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM

3,577 posts, read 3,116,531 times
Sushi, followed by sushi. Then some more sushi. Maybe a little sashimi.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 PM

16,673 posts, read 19,130,543 times
I have gone to them maybe 3 times. Not a big fan. I once went to one where they served lasagna! I will never go back to them.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:55 PM

4,193 posts, read 2,936,582 times
Alaskan Crab legs

Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM

3,395 posts, read 8,861,246 times
Hot and Sour soup with wontons, the littleneck clams, and the Hibachi rice with white sauce.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:56 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,269,462 times
Snow crab legs. Shrimp. Sushi.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,269,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
If you had once choice from the Chinese buffet bar, along with the the choice for rice and soup... What would you choose?

Mussels, fried rice and hot and sour soup, here. I'm a sucker for mussels. I found them at the local asian/Latino market the other day. Made me a sauce of oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, and a few cloves of fresh minced garlic; then thickened it with some corn starch. I cooked the mussels in hat for about 5 minutes. Then I tore them out of the shells and then cooked some shredded veggies in the sauce. Poured it all together, gave it a mix over the burner. Ate them with the sauce over some rice.

YUM>

Looked like this, minus the jalapenos and the sauce was a tad bit thinner.
http://dpulling.files.wordpress.com/...ese-buffet.jpg
I made Newfoundland Blue Mussels the other day and were amazing! Sauteed some onion and celery, then added chicken broth, a generous helping of white wine, cream, garlic and dill. Tossed in the mussels and added Parmesan cheese. OMG! Some fresh crusty bread for mopping up the sauce, and I was in heaven.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,723,296 times
Fish tacos!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 6,666,747 times
Mongolian beef, spare ribs, general tsao's chicken, shrimp tempura, white rice with a mixture of soy sauce and hot mustard poured on top, and spicy sesame green beans, with eggdrop soup with crispy noodles and ground black pepper.
I think that covers all the food groups. And now I go to bed, 10 minute, 10 minute, with my stomach gwowling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink