U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:22 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,042,104 times

Advertisements

Ocassionally use my BRAUN for dressings, marinades and gravy if I have help in the kitchen around holidays and have big batches to make and kids (not mine) complain "My arm is tired". I put them to work and they think its play.
I've had it for sooo many years I don't even remember if I bought it or it was a gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,286,600 times
I have this:
Cuisinart® SmartStick™ Immersion Blender, Parsley | Sur La Table

Mine is in an orange color they were discontinuing, though, so I got it for less. But regardless of price, I really like it. I use it for soup or making pesto, and it does both things very well. I also like that I don't have to transfer hot soup into a blender in batches. It cleans up easily.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,938,108 times
Kitchen aid brand. My husband wanted one,I have used it 5 times since we got it in 2005. He's never used it! LOL

Old 10-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"🙏 ❄⭐🎄⛄
2,707 posts, read 5,138,483 times
Talking Excellent posts everyone, thank you ALL!!!:)REPS for ALL:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I have an ancient Braun immersion blender that has served me well for more than 20 years. They kind of invented the US market for these handy devices. It has interchangeable heads - blender head, whisk head, and a food chopper head that I lost long ago because I never used it. Also has a tall cylindrical container for no-splash blending. The key feature is the fingertip speed control. Unfortunately, despite having superior quality products, Braun was taken off the US market by owner Proctor & Gamble in 2008 because the German brand did not meet P&G's profitability standards in the face of competition from cheap Chinese kitchen appliances.

Key things I use it for... pureeing soup in the pot, where a favorite trick is to make a chunky soup and then puree part of it so it becomes creamy, with chunks. It's also great for smoothing gravy right in the roasting pan.

What I never used it for... pesto. Blenders, immersion or conventional, are optimized for mixing and blending liquids, not for chopping solids. You need the much bigger knife blades of a food processor to do a good job with pesto.

Key things to look for... power and fingertip speed control. Smoothies with ice? No, I use a countertop blender for that.

Thanks for all of your help! I agree with you about BRAUN. In the back of my mind, I was thinking of it. I was hoping for something NOT made in China. Do you remember what you paid for your braun blender? If I manage to get 1 in the US, what would be a good price for it? If I can't get 1 in the US, I was thinking that if I go to Europe, I was hoping to buy it there, and just get an adaptor for use in the US.

I have made pesto sauce in my food processor & a couple of times in my vitamix (which was a pain to scoop it out & clean)

One day, I was talking to the salesperson at Macy's who actually said that in the last decade or so, appliances barely last the 1 year warranty. How sad is that She said something my grandmother said as well, that in the past appliances made in the US or Germany would last for decades. My grandmother has had her kitchenaid stand mixer for decades, now, that is quality!

I hope people keep coming with ideas Thank you.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,068,473 times
Had a Braun for about 20 years, it was still going strong but I retired it last year for a deLonghi with a mashed potato attachment and a whole lot of power. Just used it today to make Tomatillo and Ancho Salsa.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM

2,900 posts, read 4,613,007 times
I have a Kitchen Aid that I use for soups & sauces fairly frequently. I've never used the whisk attachment & haven't used it for chopping, as I prefer a knife for that. It's one of those things that, once I became accustomed to it, wouldn't want to do without.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM

25,994 posts, read 33,010,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Which hand immersion blender do you have, what is the speed, what do you use it for most of the time? Does it have any attachments? How often do you use it? Is it under warranty, if so, for how long? Are you happy with it?

Thanks in advance
I have the Cusinart. I don't know the speed. I use it for pureeing various things, including salsa. I'm sure it had a warranty originally. No attachments. I use it a couple of times a month, minimum. I love it.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,833,380 times
Years ago, I had a Braun, which I loved. Til it died.
Then I got a Cuisinart, which didn't last terribly long before it died.
Then I got a KitchenAid, and that was my favorite, but the seals went on it, so out it went a couple of months ago.
Found a nice one (forget the brand) at Boscov's for $12.50, marked down from $59.99. Came with a mini food processor cup, a measuring cup, and a couple of other bits. So far, so good!

Oh, Grundig, that's it. Unfortunately made in China, but I still like it, and it feels like quality.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 PM

3,982 posts, read 5,765,970 times
KitchenAid. I bought it because it had what I wanted: variable speed, a powerful motor, and a detachable stainless steel blender head. 8 years and going strong. I use it at least twice a week.

KitchenAid (usually) = quality.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,091,838 times
I have a Cuisinart that I bought new last spring. I got it because I was having surgery and had to be on soft foods for awhile. It has 2 speeds and worked pretty well. Like I said I bought it to make mush out of food after my surgery, so I have never used it for anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink