U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:06 AM

4,017 posts, read 3,372,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I have a Cuisinart Smart Stick and have no problems with it. I like it for applesauce, pear butter, and to thicken soups. I keep the blade head part submerged in whatever I am blending. If I lift that blade higher or out of the food it will splatter everywhere.
Yes. You have the keep the head fully submerged. I think some people are loathe to do this because it might scratch the bottom of the pan/pot whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 AM

11,161 posts, read 17,705,513 times
Sounds like what we in the tech industry call "user error."

You keep the head fully submerged while slowly moving it up and down. It doesn't work well with small amounts of liquid.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 AM

15,231 posts, read 19,329,129 times
Okay- it does sound like user error. It's been about 5 years since I donated the thing.

Is there a brand or model that people recommend (on the cheaper side. I don't need commercial quality).

Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,079,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've had immersion blenders, but found that whenever I used it, I ended up with the liquid splattering all over the place. Hot soup in the pot. Whipping cream in a bowl. Everything left bits of liquid on me and the countertops. I finally gave up and donated it when we moved cross country.

But I keep reading on here and other sites how much people love these things. And I DO recognize their usefullness.

Was I buying the wrong kind? Was I buying one that was too cheap? Was I using it incorrectly?
Maybe using it incorrectly. They'll splash if you're not paying attention, but nothing's better for creaming or part-creaming hot soups right in the pot.

I would not whip cream with an immersion blender, because even an eggbeater is better at it. Or a whisk. I used to whip cream in a pyrex measuring cup with an eggbeater in a few moments.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:20 PM

25,493 posts, read 24,392,299 times
My immersion blender came with a whip attachment.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 AM

11,161 posts, read 17,705,513 times
I have a Braun 400 Watt immersion blender. I'm pretty happy with it, although not so much with all of the attachments that came with it that I have to store. I think you can buy it without the attachments for less $.

A lot of the cheap ones are only 200 Watts, so less power. I like a lot of power in my stick.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:51 AM

13,737 posts, read 13,826,093 times
I found a Cuisinart one on sale a decade ago, and it's been great. My best friend and I went out and ended up on a small kitchen appliance spending spree at Bed Bath & Beyond. That was the same day I got my Bullet blender too, and that also has been wonderful for me as a single person.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:07 PM

22,538 posts, read 14,807,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Sounds like what we in the tech industry call "user error."

You keep the head fully submerged while slowly moving it up and down. It doesn't work well with small amounts of liquid.
This. I have a Cuisinart Smart Stick. I also use the whipping attachment from time to time. The blade is covered, so you can put the head directly on the pan bottom. It works fine. You can also move part of the mixture to the provided beaker and blend it in the beaker. Return to the pot. I often do that to thicken chili.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,080,257 times
I've had a Waring for @ 15 years. Has changeable parts in case something wears out although it still works great. Got a great deal on it and use it a lot.

You have to keep it submerged or you get spatters.
Just as with a hand mixer if you raise the beaters above the batter while the mixer is turned on the food spatters.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:27 AM

4,601 posts, read 4,514,041 times
Default Immersion blender for soups?

I love making soups such as pureed pumpkin, and tomato basil. The only part I hate is transferring the cooked ingredients to my food processor. It requires several batches of transferring, since the processor doesn't hold it all. I end up with a mess everywhere.

Does anyone here use an immersion blender for soups? Any problems with it splattering soup everywhere if I just put the blender into the pot of soup? Would an immersion blender puree the ingredients really smoothly? Brand recommendations?

Thanks from this soup-lover!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink