U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:24 AM

42,237 posts, read 49,783,147 times

Advertisements

I liked the idea, but the clean-up was always a nightmare, and I feel terrible about the wasted fiber/pulp. I don't even know where my juicer is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 AM

40,973 posts, read 32,696,264 times
I think that juicing is great for a quick digestive "cleanse," an "injection" so to speak of lots of antioxidants and vitamins, and a way to lose some weight quickly - say before something special like a wedding or class reunion or vacation. In fact, I always do a ten day juice fast prior to a big vacation, for lots of reasons:

1. It cleanses my body out and makes me feel terrific - full of energy.
2. I get THE BEST SLEEP OF MY LIFE starting about 3 days into the juice program.
3. I lose about ten pounds. Yes, it comes right back on over the next two months or so, but still - it's always nice to go on vacation and have some "wiggle room."

Several times a year I do a three day juice fast. In fact, I'm about to go on one. I do this basically to detox my body on a regular basis.

I bought this blender and it's been just fine and dandy. I recommend buying something like this on the first go 'round to see if you really will continue juicing. If not, then you haven't wasted much money. Two years later and I'm still using this one, so I don't know if I'll upgrade or not. So far, this juicer seems to be working just fine - and it's under $100.

Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach 67650 Big Mouth Juice Extractor, Grey: Kitchen & Dining

Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,631,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's the thing I don't get though...why would anyone want to take the fiber out of fruits and vegetables? I thought these things were a major benefit in one's diet?
The concept is that you are concentrating the nutritional good stuff.

For example, I don't know about you, but I could not comfortably sit down and eat a pound of raw carrots. But I could easily drink the glass of carrot juice that pound of carrots would produce. And if I added an apple or two, and a bit of ginger root, it would be even tastier and have even more nutritional good stuff in it. And what would go in the compost pile would be the better part of a pound of damp cellulose, basically.

There are pros and cons, arguments for and arguments against. I've been juicing for 20 years and I can give you both sides.

You do have to be careful with juicing if you are diabetic, because there are a lot of sugars in fruit and vegetable juice. Green juices are better, but not as tasty. That led to the development of green smoothies, which are made in a high speed blender, rather than with a juicer, and they retain the pulp.

As far as juice fasts helping lose weight, it's no mystery why they work... they are FASTS, with juice, which helps quell hunger pains. Any severe reduction of calories, over time, will take weight off. The juice fast just happens to be easier for some people to stick to than other methods.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 10,139,910 times
I love citrus juice. I always use at least two dozen lemons per week and I get a bushel of Valencia oranges every three weeks when the Florida crop is available. I squeeze them on a manual juicer to avoid the bitter rind and I eat the pulp either at the time or mix it into whatever I may be eating or drinking because I love the taste and texture. It's a lot of effort but I get delicious juices. I could make lemonade by adding a tbsp of lemon extract and a tbsp of citric acid to a gallon of water. But it wouldn't be the same (I never add any sweetener). I'll confess that some of the Florida Valencias are so sweet that I have added a bit of lemon juice or citric acid but I'm only using the real fruit as a base.

You can't make fresh tomato juice in a juicer but you can in a blender. It requires far more effort than citrus juice but it is delicious if you grow tomatoes all year as I do.

I tried a juicer and was not impressed with what I got apart from melon juices, especially watermelon. But I'd say start with citrus, then tomato, then buy a glass of asparagus or carrot juice at a juice bar, taste it and decide whether it's really worth it. I must mention that I drink so much tomato juice that I often still need to buy it. So I am a juice man.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:13 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,472,220 times
I loved my juicer that I got for a wedding gift. But it was too hard to clean up and it cost a LOT of money to make a small amount of juice.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:22 PM

27,505 posts, read 17,652,800 times
I have the Breville and I love it. I mulch most of the fiber left and put it in my harden.

I admit, I bought it after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I have a few auto immune diseases, and I love fruits and vegetables so I thought why not....

After juicing for a week I couldn't at another vegetable. Trimmed down to two juice meals and one regular meal a day. Unfortunately it didn't impact any of my health concerns, though probably because I'm not overweight and they are not weight related.

I still juice a few times a month, usually lots of greens and do a glass a day.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,199,546 times
just pick up the cheap breville for around 90 bucks on amazon, its very good. i found smoothies to be better for my overall health than juicing, but what the hell, give it a shot.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:54 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I prefer veg and fruit smoothies to juice, myself (but I also like the taste of greens used in this way).

Old 05-11-2014, 04:36 PM

10 posts, read 12,934 times
Juicers of the centrifugal type are the easiest to use and they are fast at juicing and the price range varies from around $30-300. They typically are easy to clean up and they usually come with a scrub brush to clean the pulp out of the strainer basket. Most have a 3" wide mouth so you can put most fruits and veggies in them whole - this save time from cutting produce into small pieces.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:10 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,156,448 times
I own a juicer. Don't get me wrong it is great. However, I recently purchased one of those things that helps keep the fiber and pulp in with the juice.

The biggest issue with a juicer is the cleaning and disposing of the pulp. I like juicing in the mornings so the cleaning was just too much of an issue with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink