Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is so true. An old fashioned pressure cooker can cook almost any cut into a tender delight :-)
crock pots work pretty good too

this is an excellent point- how its cooked determines how tender it is..

i remember my grandmother with her pressure cooker going all the time.... you dont see people cooking with pressure cookers like they use to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
As I was driving past a couple of the Tyson pants in Nebraska and Iowa last week, I had a couple questions about beef grading.

First, at what point is the beef actually graded? At the live auction or when it is broken down to the carcass?

Also. when an operation buys live steer, how do they know what they are getting before kill? If there some contingency with the sellers?

USDA Beef Quality and Yield Grades | Meat Science

Old 10-04-2013, 04:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I was always told that if you cook the meat slow, using moist heat, it will be tender. If you cook the meat too quickly it can turn tough.

20yrsinBranson
That is what I was taught. But lately we have had some cooked on low in the crockpot still quite firm.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Thank you, I really enjoy learning something new.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
That is what I was taught. But lately we have had some cooked on low in the crockpot still quite firm.
Keep it cook'n till ya get the texture ya want. If a recipe says 5 hrs on low......well what is low? 5hrs from when? just an example

brisket can be tough until it "gives in", around the 200* internal temp. Then you can take it too far also.

OP, not all animals are created equal, raised the same, fed the same, ate the same amt, etc.

You can take the cheapest cut and make it more flavorful and tender than the most expensive cut by cooking it right.

The more a muscle works, the tougher it will be. Think horn and hoof on cattle. The farthest point from those two areas will be most tender, but not most flavorful.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post

OP, not all animals are created equal, raised the same, fed the same, ate the same amt, etc.
Yep, I knew at least that much. Was just curious (and learned!) as to the specifics.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
crock pots work pretty good too

this is an excellent point- how its cooked determines how tender it is..

i remember my grandmother with her pressure cooker going all the time.... you dont see people cooking with pressure cookers like they use to
I still have my pressure cooker going on 20 years now. I use it for most of my cuban dishes along with beans and stew. I am tempted to buy a new one, heard they are pretty sweet with extra features. But my Abuela would turn over in her grave if I did!

Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
On our farm Dad always put the calf in a pen and fed it corn for a few weeks before killing it. Muscle is tough and non-muscle cuts of beef are tender. I didn't think I liked beef. I didn't realize I had never eaten anything but veal until I left home. Stewed veal is good, but I didn't like it any other way. And I am not talking about beef stew. I don't like vegetables cooked with beef very much. Beef cooked in a pot by itself or roasted is much better.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default Where can one buy a ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is so true. An old fashioned pressure cooker can cook almost any cut into a tender delight :-)
..old fashion pressure cooker today and not be on ATF's radar?

I remember my mom used one until the day she shot the metal thingy on top through the ceiling.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
I doubt many people would put steaks in a preasure cooker however.

Steaks is where the tender meat and tough meet are exposed for what they are.

There is a reason why packing plants that kill all older, healthy, cows bone out the entire carcass and don't save the steaks for grilling.

With steaks, you can't make a " silk purse out of a sow's ear "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink