U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 AM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times

Advertisements

We only drink a couple of cups a day, and have been considering getting one of the Keurig's to eliminate me having to drink his weak decaf crap (his high blood pressure does show a decrease when he eliminates caffeine). We buy fresh beans and grind them daily. Making two pots of coffee would not make sense, as we wouldn't finish either one of them.

But the prices of those things kind of blow my mind - both the machines and the K-cups. Neither of us like the cutesy coffee flavors or would use this thing for tea.

Convince me that it's worth the extra cost? Or should I just get used to decaf?

Edited to add: Husband makes the coffee every morning, bless his heart. But asking him to use a french press or something that he will declare "a pain" or "it makes a mess" isn't going to fly. That's why I thought about the K-cups. So easy and less clean up than we have now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 11:26 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,168,213 times
I think it is just an expensive passing fad and not very "green", okay, that isn't what you want to hear.

We like coffee but can't handle too much caffine at our house. As soon as we brew a pot, we take it off the heat as it ruins the coffee. At times we make a full pot of coffee and place in the refrig to keep it for later and reheat in the microwave as needed. Why not make your coffee, or hubby's, and put some away for later to alternate between the two of you? My husband drinks a lot of coffee, but I have to keep mine to one in the morning and one after lunch so I pour my second cup in the morning and put it in to chill for later.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Get one or two $25.00 one cup coffee makers (my favorite is Black & Decker). Then grind your beans and have your coffee one cup at a time. One coffee maker for him and one for you.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
A couple of small french presses would do the trick. For only a couple of cups it works fine. The extra work is negligible. You just rinse it off like a coffee pot.

PS: Poor husband...

Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Get one or two $25.00 one cup coffee makers (my favorite is Black & Decker). Then grind your beans and have your coffee one cup at a time. One coffee maker for him and one for you.
Brizilliant!!!!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,665,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We only drink a couple of cups a day, and have been considering getting one of the Keurig's to eliminate me having to drink his weak decaf crap (his high blood pressure does show a decrease when he eliminates caffeine). We buy fresh beans and grind them daily. Making two pots of coffee would not make sense, as we wouldn't finish either one of them.

But the prices of those things kind of blow my mind - both the machines and the K-cups. Neither of us like the cutesy coffee flavors or would use this thing for tea.

Convince me that it's worth the extra cost? Or should I just get used to decaf?

Edited to add: Husband makes the coffee every morning, bless his heart. But asking him to use a french press or something that he will declare "a pain" or "it makes a mess" isn't going to fly. That's why I thought about the K-cups. So easy and less clean up than we have now.
It doesn't have to be Keurig, those are very expensive.

You can pick up any number of pod coffeemakers at Target or Walmart or elsewhere for $30 or less. The pods for those coffeemakers are very inexpensive too.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,461,804 times
I have a farmer's market stand where I sell my coffee, both whole bean and brewed. I brew an new airpot every 20-30 minutes, more if demand requires. If I brewed an airpot of decaf on this cycle I'd end up throwing most of it out, repeatedly. And I don't want to serve stale decaf that's been sitting in an airpot for a couple of hours.

So what I'm going to suggest may sound strange, but it works and it's what I do for the market. Make cold brew decaf concentrate. In your case in needs to last for a week. Put enough ground decaf into a carafe for as many cups as your husband is going to have in a week, then add half as much cold water as you normally would to brew a fresh cup. Let it sit 12-18 hours then filter out the grounds.

Every morning, take out the decaf concentrate and pour a half a cup or mug or whatever you drink coffee in. Let it come to room temp. Then add hot water to fill. That should do the trick. He can adjust to taste if he likes it super weak.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 AM

9,665 posts, read 5,658,893 times
i tried a keurig. as soon as it broke i was quick to throw it out. expensive, per cup cost is too high. i replaced it with a bonivita 8 cup. i use brown melitta filters. bonivita makers are known for getting water temperature to the right level.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 AM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times
There may be cheaper versions than Keurig now, but it really seems like a good solution for you both. To me, this isn't about expense, it's a quality of life thing. A decent cup of coffee in the morning is one of the things I would not give up easily. I do not want two of anything sitting around on my counter either.
For the amount of coffee you each consume, once you pay for the machine, it wouldn't be that much more expensive, and doesn't Keurig make a fill it yourself pod?
We used to have a Tassimo (the beta max version of the Keurig) and we found the only drawback was it was not at all practical for more than 2 people, because each cup takes a couple minutes. After it broke we went back to a $20. Mr. Coffee, and a bean grinder, but we both like the same strong regular coffee.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM

3,321 posts, read 3,562,039 times
Why do you have to make an entire pot at a time? He can make his, then make your's. Don't know why this is hard.
My sister was at my house this past week, and likes her coffee EXTREMELY strong, and it has to be French Roast. My husband and I like our's weaker, and like a flavor, such as Highlander Grogg. So we made our 3/4 pot, then she made her 3/4 of a pot. No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink