Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,314,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Thank you for this! I can't tell you how much I've wasted. I had no idea you could freeze it - do you keep the roots on? Here they're always sold with the roots. I suppose it wouldn't matter...
I was in a freezing mood one day, chopping and freezing, and I thought I'd experiment with a bunch of cilantro. I just wrapped it up tight just as it came from the store, even with the wire band still around it, in the plastic bag it came in from the grocery store and stuck it in the freezer. I didn't chop it up or anything, or even put it in a good freezer bag. I just cut off the ends while it's still frozen. It kind of crumbles apart.

Then I've just sprinkled it frozen on burritos that i then stick in the microwave, or put it into the soup pot or straight into the omelette as it's cooking. So far, it's cooked up great! A lucky experiment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Soome really good advice here. Thanks.

Of course I never expected my frozen peppers to be crunchy and used in a salad. I use them mostly for marinara sauces and cooking with meats and veggies- sometimes just for color.

I have been defrosting them on the counter then blotting away all that excess moisture before adding them to my recipes. Am I throwing away good nutrition or just water? Would it be better to just add the frozen peppers to my recipes and let the water incorporate with my dish?

Also how do you store your dehydrated veggies?

I wouldn't worry about losing vitamins. Life is too short :-) If you're cooking something that won't be ruined with extra moisture, then just throw them in. But, if you're going to throw them into an omelette or something that would get weird with too much moisture, I'd blot the moisture as you've been doing, and not worry about vitamins. Since you grew them yourself, you're way ahead of the nutrition game as it is.

I used to dry veggies & fruit, too, in my gardening hippy days. I stored mine in gallon glass jars, because i had mouse problems in the country. If I was to store them now in my apartment, I think I'd use paper bags, as you can end up with moisture problems in a plastic or glass container.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 AM

126,154 posts, read 18,905,613 times
Kudzu if I see a sale on Bell Peppers, I buy a lot,cut them up and put them in Ziploc bags and freeze them. Great for use in stews and soups year round.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,303,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I used to dry veggies & fruit, too, in my gardening hippy days. I stored mine in gallon glass jars, because i had mouse problems in the country. If I was to store them now in my apartment, I think I'd use paper bags, as you can end up with moisture problems in a plastic or glass container.
I keep all my thoroughly dried staples in airtight plastic or glass containers, because the humidity is high here in my corner of Hawai'i, and bugs are a constant. For dried veggies and herbs that still have some water content that I want to keep critters out of I use canning jars and rings with cheesecloth in place of a solid lid, or the lids with a screen or seive like top that fit wide mouth canning jars and are sold for seed sprouting. Works like a champ.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I keep all my thoroughly dried staples in airtight plastic or glass containers, because the humidity is high here in my corner of Hawai'i, and bugs are a constant. For dried veggies and herbs that still have some water content that I want to keep critters out of I use canning jars and rings with cheesecloth in place of a solid lid, or the lids with a screen or seive like top that fit wide mouth canning jars and are sold for seed sprouting. Works like a champ.
Brilliant! I used to use those for sprouting my own alfalfa sprouts...a canning jar with cheesecloth and then screw the ring on. Never thought of using that to keep things drier. Thanks! Great tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink