Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Portion control is number one in our house anymore. Yes, we do use skim milk, low fat yogurt, eat more chicken and fish, lots less red meat than in past years, but I refuse to do the low fat dressing routine, for instance. Most of the low fat anything is filled with sugar and doesn't taste right. We have tried low fat sour cream and cream cheese, forget it, no way. I also use my 5 in one griddler, I am always amazed how much grease drains off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Portion control is number one in our house anymore. Yes, we do use skim milk, low fat yogurt, eat more chicken and fish, lots less red meat than in past years, but I refuse to do the low fat dressing routine, for instance. Most of the low fat anything is filled with sugar and doesn't taste right. We have tried low fat sour cream and cream cheese, forget it, no way. I also use my 5 in one griddler, I am always amazed how much grease drains off.
Isn't it amazing? I am the same way, I prefer to cut where I can but not lose the flavor. I also refuse to use low fat/non fat stuff unless it's okay. I make yogurt (greek style) from organic skim milk and it's tastes great. I add a touch of lemon juice to make it tangier like sour cream and my husband can't tell the difference in his baked potato. And is happy I let him pile it on.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
We use portion control and do not have anything in this house that is fat free, low fat, non fat, skim, or flavor free.
I see no reason to add beef broth to beef to give it flavor. Beef has it's own flavor as do many other things.
Even with my husband being diabetic with portion control and accurate food tracking he eats whatever he wants without all the fat free, taste free, sugar free, bland food.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
don't skip meals.

portion control.

weigh yourself every day, at the same time, either in your birthday suit or with the same clothing. you can't help but note significant changes. a pound or two up or down means nothing - unless it keeps going up or down.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Right. Portion can play a part and I have always done moderation. In my portions, I would still like to further cut back on fat/cholesterol without losing in flavor hence this thread.

Another thing I do is boil my ground beef in beef broth for about 10 minutes on medium before draining and browning for recipes. (not for burgers/meat loaf etc) This renders out the fat and enables me to buy the cheaper 80/20 ground beef. I was worried I would lose the flavor but it has been fine.
Wow, I've never heard of this! I brown it then rinse it with hot water in a colander, but maybe your method takes out more fat? Does the meat get brown from this? If so, how do you tell when it's done browning in the pan?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wow, I've never heard of this! I brown it then rinse it with hot water in a colander, but maybe your method takes out more fat? Does the meat get brown from this? If so, how do you tell when it's done browning in the pan?
I have no idea if it's better, it's just something I have done. As for browning, it comes out brown as it is cooked through. But if I want crispy/seared beef, I do it over high heat and a touch of olive oil. I do this step for nachos or tostadas.

Otherwise, I just use it in the next step of the recipe, such as tacos, chili etc which is adding all the seasonings and cooking it.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I have no idea if it's better, it's just something I have done. As for browning, it comes out brown as it is cooked through. But if I want crispy/seared beef, I do it over high heat and a touch of olive oil. I do this step for nachos or tostadas.

Otherwise, I just use it in the next step of the recipe, such as tacos, chili etc which is adding all the seasonings and cooking it.
Okay, thanks!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:04 PM

Not everyone can do portion control. I have had "food issues" since I was a teenager, and there are many things I just can't have around. If I had a pot of mashed potatoes here, there is no way I'd just eat 1/2 a cup, I'd eat the whole pot! It would be nice if I could moderate, but there comes a time where you just have to accept yourself the way you are, and at 51 it's unlikely to change.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM
xqt

76 posts, read 129,225 times
For me....I skip the carbs. So instead of having pasta or some sort of grain with my meal, I will have sautéed vegetables.

But for some corner cutting tips...
- Use powdered peanut butter aka PB2 in your smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal. Gives the flavor of PB without the fat.
- Use just a little bit of butter when cooking. Like 7g.
- Use a food scale and measure everything you eat.
- Add bulk to your meals with vegetables. For example, if I have just fried eggs and bacon, it feels like I'm only eating a bit of food. But If I put those fried eggs and bacon on top of a ton of spinach...then it feels like a lot more food, but with only a few more calories.
- MAKE SURE TO EAT FAT. Personally, if I eat low fat, I find myself absolutely ravenous and constantly unsatisfied.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
Eat what you need..

Not more..

Honestly if you over eat.. are you any different then the person that shoves a needle of dope in their veins..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink