Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 AM

155 posts, read 347,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Biggest annoyance...currently, ordering my steak medium rare and being told I can't have it that way, that they won't go any less than medium well. I now get rather rude about it. I'm paying a high price for that meal and I want my [expletive] steak cooked the way I [expletive] like it.

The first place that did that to me (Appleby's), I just stopped going there. They weren't particularly good anyway, as far as I'm concerned. But is seems to be becoming more common now, and I'm not going to just sit back and take it any more. I'm generally a rather quiet individual, I don't usually make a fuss and I don't typically send things back even if the food isn't quite what I think it ought to be. But this BS just frosts my cojones, I'm paying good money for a steak and it damn well better get cooked the way I want it. One of these days I might get thrown out of some place because I have become so angry about this that I have started telling the waiter "If my steak doesn't come out medium rare, you'd better dial 911 before you put it on the table, because we are going to have a *serious* problem." So far it has worked.
Waitress: And how would you like your steak?
Me: Medium Rare.
Waitress: I'm sorry we will not cook a steak less than medium well.
Me: You mean I only have three choices?
Waitress: No, just two: Medium well and well.
Me: Uh no, II have three choices: Medium well, well, and eating somewhere else. Good-Bye.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe this is a chain thing, or state thing? I have usually found the opposite, menus that say they are not responsible if you order a steak more well-done than medium. I always order medium rare and have never been told I couldn't have it that way, even for burgers.
I haven't encountered a problem getting a medium-rare steak here in NJ. I could not eat a well-done steak--to me, it's ruined.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexgrillSucks View Post
A darn brat running around and screaming like a headless chicken - I do not want to spend extra money by going out to eat just to have a tainted experience no thanks to a bad kid.
I'm not sure headless chickens actually can scream.

But I'm with you on the kids. That seems to be a universal annoyance and I don't understand why parents don't take note.

When my daughter was little and we wanted to go to a restaurant, we went early first of all so that there weren't as many people, and we went before the kid was starving. You can't take a kid who is already hungry into a non-fast-food place and expect them to be patient. Taking our daughter to a restaurant on a sensible schedule enabled her to learn how she was expected to behave and how to order properly, etc.

One of her friends later on was 12 and had never ordered her own food because her mother always did it for her. She seemed as if she was simple-minded when the waiter came to take her order.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:59 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
This is a shocker, because I have seen restaurants that won't be responsible for toughness on a steak more than medium, but I've never seen a restaurant WANT anyone to have their steak more well done.
It sounds like the Appleby's had a cook with very limited skill. I really wouldn't ever go there if I wanted a decent steak anyway.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
I'm betting they were afraid of getting sued if something went wrong.

However, it seems there is a much bigger risk if ground meat isn't well cooked.

I have heard of places being scared of serving any meat on the rare side over liability issues.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:23 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Yes, I've seen this, too. OK, not mopping, but vacuuming. There's a Chinese buffet by my house where the staff starts vacuuming about an hour or so before closing. I get that sometimes something gets dumped on the floor and has to be cleaned up, but my goodness. Why don't they just put some Amityville Horror-style recording over the stereo system: "Get...out!!!" while they're at it?
I was recently at a diner that did this. The sign on the door said that they were open until 2 pm. We got there around 1, and at about 1:30 the staff starts wiping down tables, putting up chairs and vacuuming while giving the remaining customers the stink eye. I'd always thought that if a place is open until 2, if a customer walks in at 1:50 that they can get seated and fed, not that the staff leaves at 2.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
We have a very nice upper tier Chinese buffet that has recently opened in our metro area. A few weeks ago my wife and I decided to try it since it was receiving excellent reviews.

We were shown our table then we proceeded to fill our plates with a dizzying array of different food items.
We made it back to our table and began to enjoy our selections when a horrid look came over the two women seated at the table to our left.

These two women promptly got up and moved to another table. After they had left we looked in horror at the scene that was blocked by them.

An older couple in their late sixties were eating their food. The gentleman had a very large stack of used napkins sitting off to the side of him.
We observed him taking a bite, swallowing then taking a clean napkin he got from the table dispenser and proceeded to spit up into the napkin while making low volume vomiting noises.

He then proceeded to wad up the napkin, place it on the ever increasing pile and then took another bite of food only to repeat the process.
My wife and I were sickened as we seemingly couldn't look away at what someone was actually doing in a public eating establishment.
After a couple more used napkins were added to the pile a server came over and gave the man a plastic to go bag in order to place his collection of phlegm and vomit filled napkins in.

As he moved what had to be forty to fifty used napkins into the bag the smell hit us. My wife having been previously employed in the county coroners office said the smell was mainly from stomach acid and to a lesser extent bile.

She said she couldn't understand how the man could continue to repeat the process he was repeating over and over multiple times without burning his tongue and the inside of his mouth from his bodily fluids.

We flagged down a server and asked to speak to a manager immediately. We told him of the situation and he did not charge us for the little food we were able to eat before we saw what we saw and smelled what we couldn't see thank God.
The two women also demanded not to have to pay and they also were given their meals.

This is by far the most disgusting and vile thing a human being has done I or my wife have experienced in or out of a restaurant in our entire lives.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 PM

That is quite possibly the most disgusting thing I've ever read during four years on City-Data.

I'm thinking of printing it and reading it occasionally as a diet tool.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I have a new annoyance. How can cooks at a breakfast place not know how to cook eggs?

Twice this past week my husband and I have both ordered eggs over medium, two different restaurants. Both times, one of the orders the eggs are cooked over medium as ordered. And the other plate, the eggs are cooked hard. Not a bit of runny yolk. It's just strange that it happened twice when we both ordered the same food cooked the same way and both times one plate was fine and the other the eggs were overcooked.

What's up with that? A breakfast cook really should know how to cook eggs. One was a 24 hour breakfast restaurant. The other is a breakfast that only serves breakfast and lunch and is open 6 am to 2:30 p.m.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:52 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
When food comes cold
Lack of consistency from time to time whether that be how it is cooked or the quantity and quality of ingredients
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink