U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:31 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,175,130 times

Advertisements

Mis-behaving children should be put on the menu but aside from that....I've noticed in the U.S. (especially New Orleans) there are tons of eating establishments where you can order food any time of day. No set meal times, for which I'm very grateful.
We arrived in Australia a few weeks ago and were getting pretty hungry on our road trip. It was about 11am in a touristy type village. A local bar with attached bistro was open, we could smell the food and a couple were standing behind the hot plates, apparently ready to serve. Smelled soooo good. So we went up to order. "We're not open until 12".

It's probably to do with higher hourly rates for staff in Australia, they don't want servers just standing around if no-one is there and still have to pay them. I think the person who told us 'halt!' was the bistro manager, and maybe his wife.
Why look as if you're open when you're not? Why oh why are those smells allowed to waft out and torture the starving masses (some of whom are used to New Orleans quality food)?? Oh the humanity.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:50 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,323,633 times
Under direct restaurant control: I hate it when they constantly check in as in every few minutes. I prefer once or twice at most and I make it clear that I need something by looking around or placing my empty glass/plate toward the edge of the table within easy view as they walk by.

Or worse, they come in and check so often but don't come back with requested items or say they will be right back to pick up dishes and don't.

Not under restaurant control: Noisy and/or wandering kids. Yeah kid is adorable but please keep him/her at your table in the chair please. Nor do I want to hear them. I left mine at home for a reason.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:53 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,539,012 times
Funniest thing that ever happened was one of the women at our table was still eating, and the wait or came over and started to clear plates. The woman was in mid bite, the waiter just picked up her plate without asking if she was done!

Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,363,024 times
Screaming kids, mobile phones and those floury tasteless supermarket tomatoes.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:27 PM

17,196 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
My biggest pet peeve is when a waiter does not write down our order. Is that trying to show off or something? I understand sometimes thins are messed up in a kitchen and I don't typically make a big deal of it. But if its bc the waiter decides not to write it down, I'm pissed. I also feel very restricted in ordering, i.e. not making order too complex

You would be amazed at how some people can remember though. Down here we have a very old and popular pizza place on the boardwalk, with the same guys there every summer (very, very rarely any girls for some reason). We will be 6 or 8 at a table, all ordering different things, slices with different toppings and all different drinks, and they never write any of it down but they always get it right. If that is required, I would be fired the first day, lol. I wouldn't simplify my order just because of that.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 PM

3,442 posts, read 4,469,478 times
I doubt anyone went thru my experience and it had nothing to do with staff or the food.

There was a group of retirees who got together once a month at noon at a restaurant for lunch and conversation. I got asked to join by one of the people.

Out of the group of about 12, one lady informs us that her colonoscopy is scheduled for next week. Immediately everyone wants to tell THEIR colonoscopy story and how their ..........." first 8 were smooth but my 9th one was very uncomfortable "

One guy proceeds to state how long it took before their BM stool returned to normal. Of course, then a few more want to share details.

Last lunch I ever attended !

Old 10-06-2013, 05:33 PM

17,196 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Oh man. My biggest annoyance when eating out is not what you were thinking, I'm sure, op. My biggest annoyance is my DH who absolutely ALWAYS dominates the server with all kinds of questions from how is business to who they are dating. We spend more time talking to the server usually than we do eating.

Such a pia. But I love him so it's ok.
My ex was annoying in 2 ways. First off, we'd have our menus plenty of time, where the soups and vegetables of the day were clearly listed as well as the beverages available, but invariably he would be asked "soup or salad" and he would ask "what soups do you have?" same when it came time to order his sides and drink. The second thing and the thing I hated the most, was he sent his dinner back for the slightest thing. Not only was it a bit embarrassing, the worst part is then I'd be sitting there with my dinner, not sure if I should eat it or wait for his to come back, or if I did eat it, we ended up eating seperately.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:39 PM

3,079 posts, read 938,234 times
Having been a server in a former life, my biggest pet peeves normally involve the service. Please refill my glass when needed (not when I ask) and refill it with what I ordered (I had unsweetened tea....not sweet!). Please clear the dirty dishes (when I'm finished eating)....do not let them sit there until I leave!! Do not wear overbearing perfume....if you (the server) can smell it, there is too much (or spring for a better brand!). Please don't wear nail polish....I don't want it chipping into my food!! And please....wash your hands!!

I never have a problem sending food back that is either not cooked properly, cold or not what I expected (too salty, too watery, etc).

Kids?? I don't mind them as long as they are well behaved and quiet. If not, take them to a restaurant that has a play-area.

Noisy adults? I don't have a problem asking them to keep it down so as not to overly disturb their neighbors. I'm not very shy! LOL

Not-so-easy-to-read menus? I'll make a suggestion to the manager that they have them reprinted so customers can easily read them. Sure....the intricate, swirly font may be pretty, but if people can't read it, you'll drive them away.

No prices? I leave it up to the server to go over the entire menu, if needed. Maybe someone will get the hint to have the prices included (the only exception is fresh seafood as I know the price is dependent on market prices).

Desserts? The server will not ever be able to sell me chocolate ANYTHING so I appreciate when a restaurant includes a fruit option (apple pie, blackberry cobbler, etc.)

Old 10-06-2013, 06:46 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
One way to solve the problem of not having enough time to eat the appetizer is to tell the waiter you will order your entree when the appetizer arrives at your table.

The biggest annoyance to me when eating out is not having the check arrive when we are finished eating and having to sit and sit in front of the dirty dishes.

don't the servers realize---its not over 'til its over? Its so annoying to sit there staring at dirty dishes, practically begging for the check, while your server is fawning over a newly seated table. Hey, doesn't he wonder why his tip goes down?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Drunks if we happen to be in a place that also serves alcohol. I'm not opposed to alcohol just the being drunk part.
Mushrooms being put on my food after I have ordered all of my food without mushrooms. I will always send the food back.
Children being loud and running amok and their parents doing nothing to control this behavior.
Giving me a straw without asking, I haven't used a straw since I was about 20 years old and it is a complete waste of resources to give me a straw.

The biggest annoyance is a fresh piercing on the face of the server. I don't care that you have pierced your face but please don't come to work until it is healed and the scab and redness is gone or at least minimized.

Plz don't fuss about a straw. I've noticed, here in Texas, they always supply a straw with iced tea, but sometimes not with a soft drink. I have severe arthritis in my hands, and find a straw to be helpful, but I hate making an issue of it. I often just stick with iced tea to get the straw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink