Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times

Advertisements

I wish that those who say they use it for everything would give us the list.

I tried eating it plain, yuck. I do use it on my skin and when my furbabies get skitter bites, I put it on their itchys. I like that when they lick the spots, they're ingesting something healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I wish that those who say they use it for everything would give us the list.

I tried eating it plain, yuck. I do use it on my skin and when my furbabies get skitter bites, I put it on their itchys. I like that when they lick the spots, they're ingesting something healthy.
I use it the same as I would use any oil - fry eggs in it, saute' spinach in it, anything I would fry or saute' in a pan. It doesn't make my food taste like coconut anymore than olive oil makes my food taste like olives. I also sometimes put some on toast or a bagel before I put the cram cheese on.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:03 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
It liquefies at room temp (roughly 74-76 degrees or so), and is solid below that.

I just eat a tbsp full in the morning, and one more at night. The Costco product tastes great, and is the cheapest on the market. I've used it in smoothies, but it will harden in a cold smoothie. You can cook with it as well.

But the best use of it is to use it as a shaving oil. Rub a little coconut oil on your face, put some shaving cream on, and you'll be amazed at how smooth your shave is. My wife reports similar success using it on her legs.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
It also makes a great addition to the bedroom for various..ahem..and it's all natural.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
I am a pinterst member and I know I pinned different uses for coconut oil, now I really want to purchase a jar and figure out how to use it. The hair product thing is awesome, just have to learn how and what amount.

Unless it is Indian or Caribbean inspired I really don't want to taste coconut in my food. If the food is not influenced by the coconut flavor I will use this as a cooking oil for high heat dishes.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I am a pinterst member and I know I pinned different uses for coconut oil, now I really want to purchase a jar and figure out how to use it. The hair product thing is awesome, just have to learn how and what amount.
I have long hair. I just put a dab on my hands the size of a nickel and rub them together really well, then lightly finger brush it through my dry hair. After that I brush it to distribute it through every strand lightly. It takes out the frizz on humid days, moisturizes it and makes it ultra sleek and shiny.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn't make my food taste like coconut anymore than olive oil makes my food taste like olives.
To me this is a strange comment, because good olive oil definitely has a bit of an olive taste, it just isn't overwhelming. And in the same way coconut oil has a bit of coconut flavor. It's mild, but it's still there, and it shows up when you use it with something bland. When I stir a spoonful into a bowl of oatmeal, there is no mistaking it for butter.

Matter of fact, if I encountered either an olive oil or a coconut oil that had no taste I'd suspect it was either over-processed or a fake.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I have long hair. I just put a dab on my hands the size of a nickel and rub them together really well, then lightly finger brush it through my dry hair. After that I brush it to distribute it through every strand lightly. It takes out the frizz on humid days, moisturizes it and makes it ultra sleek and shiny.
Thank you, I have hair that is very dry and will try this, cheaper then Morracian oil.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM

The consistency is a lot lighter, thinner than olive oil, hence the flavor is very faint and is easily lost in a dish when cooking.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
It gives a strong - to my palate - flavor to foods cooked in it. I would use it to make awesome coconut shrimp or chicken tenders, but not to fry eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink