Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 AM

50,776 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

This was on the Today show this morning. Apparently they are not even regulated, but come up with by companies based on their best guess of when a product is at peak of freshness. A food scientist who has written a book about it says there has never been a documented case of food poisoning via someone eating food past its' expiration (meat and milk are exceptions, of course).

They said eggs are good 3-5 WEEKS past the date on the package, and that canned/boxed/bottled/jarred foods are fine up to a year past the sell-by or "best by" date if unopened, many canned foods are fine even several years past the date.

I have thrown out many things, cans of soup, bottled salad dressings, etc, because it was past the date, but they said we are wasting money by doing so.

They did say that baby formulas though ARE federally regulated, and you should go by the date for those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I threw out some chicken soup that was well past the sell by date; I just didn't want to chance getting some bad chicken. Other than that, I have canned fruits, veggies and pasta that are well past their date and they are just fine. I only found out about the egg thing a month or so ago; I was religious about not using eggs past there sell by date (sometimes I would throw away almost an entire caton). I keep them and use them now.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They said eggs are good 3-5 WEEKS past the date on the package, and that canned/boxed/bottled/jarred foods are fine up to a year past the sell-by or "best by" date if unopened, many canned foods are fine even several years past the date.

I was working with the US Army on a productivity project related to their food service options. Their standards were that fresh eggs could be held as long as nine months UNDER PROPER REFRIGERATION.

In all fairness, the kitchens were using 100 cases of eggs a week so eggs were there less than 3-5 days at a time.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Canned goods recovered from the steamboat Bertrand were tested and found to be safe for consumption. These canned goods were over 100 years old. The food had lost its fresh smell and appearance and some of the nutrients were lost, but it was still safe to eat.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM

303 posts, read 540,050 times
I always kind of suspected this. When I was a crazy poor college student, food had to last. Rarely did the food I bought for me and my SO get completely eaten by the use/sell by date so I just went off of what it looked and (more importantly) smelled like. That's what my grandparents, who raised me, went by because we lived so far out in the country a trip to the grocery was a day-long affair. I've never gotten food poisoning doing this. Even though I'm out of the college faze, it's still how I judge my ingredients.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:45 PM

50,776 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Canned goods recovered from the steamboat Bertrand were tested and found to be safe for consumption. These canned goods were over 100 years old. The food had lost its fresh smell and appearance and some of the nutrients were lost, but it was still safe to eat.
Wow!!

About the eggs, I don't think I'd go 9 months, but that is very interesting, too!

Funny about eggs, I always thought they'd be bad if they weren't refrigerated immediately and constantly. Then at a job, there was someone who had backyard chickens and I bought eggs from her. When I got there they were just sitting on my desk, and I was like "are they still good? They've been sitting out" and she said "where do you think they are before I go out to collect them?" and I laughed, because I never thought of that only because I never bought them outside of a refrigerator case before!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
So, now, there's no such a thing as a rotten egg? Right?

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
So, now, there's no such a thing as a rotten egg? Right?
That all depends what forum you're visiting...

Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wow!!

About the eggs, I don't think I'd go 9 months, but that is very interesting, too!

Funny about eggs, I always thought they'd be bad if they weren't refrigerated immediately and constantly. Then at a job, there was someone who had backyard chickens and I bought eggs from her. When I got there they were just sitting on my desk, and I was like "are they still good? They've been sitting out" and she said "where do you think they are before I go out to collect them?" and I laughed, because I never thought of that only because I never bought them outside of a refrigerator case before!
It's not all that long ago that you could commonly buy eggs around the holidays that had been in cold storage for 9 months. The demand for eggs is very seasonal, peaking with all the baking that happens around the holidays. Rather than raising enough chickens to lay enough eggs to meet the holiday demand, which would be very costly and very wasteful, they simply built up their reserves of fresh eggs in the shell all year long. Today commercial bakers buy already shelled "liquid eggs," which can be stored under refrigeration for long periods, reducing the market for fresh eggs in the shell... but they still get older, on average, near the end of the year.

PS, my grandmother never kept eggs anyplace but on a shelf in the pantry, and they were good for weeks.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
That's why it's called the SELL BY date. It's for the retailer, not the consumer. They want to sell products they know won't be returned because they're spoiled or stale, so the retailer needs to know when to pull the product or mark it for discount for a quick sale.

My criteria is if it doesn't smell or taste bad, it's still safe to eat. I don't swallow if the taste is off, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink