Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

I guess it would have to be the antibiotics in the meat and the pesticides on the food. It would be nice to not have to peel apples and peaches. It would be nice to know that strawberries weren't on the top five list of contaminated foods. or the top ten, whatever.

I grow what food I can so that we can avoid some of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:29 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
great point but we could always purchase organic
Sadly, organic chicken is processed in the same way as non, which completely defeats the purpose of raising it organically & then paying premium prices to purchase 'dirty' food. It's too gruesome to describe in detail on the board, but you could google/YT the processing procedure. I witnessed the actual processing at age 18, when in Montreal & have eaten chicken only a dozen times in my life since then, because the process hasn't changed & it totally grosses me out. Too bad... I love my own homemade chicken soup, but eating even organic chicken/eggs makes me feel ill (food poisoning symptoms) 3 out of 4 times.

I used to eat mostly fish, but for some reason, for 15+ years, I get deathly ill most of the time when I eat it (mostly any kind), so I've had to add that to my Frackin' Frustrating Foods to Ignore list. Gastronomically, I'm often annoyed being me... seems to run in the family, so perhaps it's not just the food, but some sort of inherent inability to process it.

I do worry about getting ill from food (so eat mostly organic & NO processed/frozen/canned food, unless it's inevitable, like for days long road trips), because I have so many bloody food allergies & sensitivities to additives, like antibiotics/hormones, I find it's easier for me to list what I can eat than what I can't. Therefore, I cook everything from scratch... all organic. If I don't, it's 1-2 days of no fun & a 1-2 wk red face rash. I wish I were the type who could eat frozen dinners, hotdogs & fast food & feel fine afterwards. It would be cheaper, too, than what I have to purchase. Bloody, non-allergic show-offs!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:09 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
...There's no point in worrying about things outside of your control...
But some of us have more control than others.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
What I'm going to have with the pork chops tonight.
You got that right: I don't have time to worry about every little thing that could be...We eat what we want and like, I try to cook somewhat healthy and I worry more about the cost, than anything, but I am not going to stress over what where did that cow or pig come from, is it safe, am I cooking my meat enough to kill all the germs, etc. Some of us grew up without ever hearing about any of this stuff and we probably even ate food that should have been tossed, but we are alive today and well. Sure, we knew about food poisoning; we probably had it a time or two and blamed it on the 24 hour flu or visa versa, we blamed the flu on food poisoning. We didn't pay too much attention to whether the restaurants we were eating in were sanitary (within reason) we just enjoyed our food. Too many people do too much reading and look for the 1/2 empty glass. Research is one thing, buying into too much hype is another.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:34 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Restaurant food bothers me. When I cook, I am very careful, keeping things clean in the kitchen. I wash my hands frequently during the preparation if I go from meat to vegetables. In a café, I don't know what goes on in the back. I have gotten food poisoning from some of those places. The other problem is the knowledge that there is an allowance in some cereals ( maybe all) for a certain amount of insect parts. When I eat my Cheerios I wonder how much of the "crunch" is cereal, or how much is insect?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:38 AM

317 posts, read 474,761 times
Many things about meat worry me. The weird things the animals are fed and injected with, the weird processes the meat goes through before showing up at my local Wal-Mart neatly sealed in shiny stuff, and most of all, the awful things I hear about factory farming all bother me quite a bit.

I wish I was able to hunt my own meat or could afford to buy free-range and organic, but I can't, so beans, nuts, whole grains, and peanut butter are all staples of my diet these days.

Last edited by Sedivec; 10-10-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mad cow disease. I ate a steak and kidney pie in England around 2001. I still wonder to this day if I got a rogue prion running around.

I've read so much about salmonella and eggs. I've had food poisoning before. It was bad. I got it from some iced sweet tea I set out to cool. Over night. Woops. I drank a glass the next day. I spent the next 2 days in the john. I must've gone every 1/2 hour. It was hell on earth. I've read about Salmonella. I've eaten a lot of soft yolks and chicken that might've needed to be grilled another 15 minutes.... never got sick from it. Sunny side up eggs are my fave.

My mom, to this day, thinks nothing of cooking chicken or stew or beef or... anything.... and leaving it out for hours. She defrosts chicken by taking it out of the freezer and leaving it in the sink for 8-10 hours.
I can't recall the last time I got sick from her food.
Some years ago, when there was a panic about mad cow in the U.S., I decided to do some research. I wanted to find out how many deaths annually there were from mad cow. It took some digging, as I was sticking solely to sites that didn't have a bias either way.

What I found out at that point was that the number was 150 death from mad cow confirmed to have been acquired by eating tainted beef. Not 150 annually in the U.S. 150 ever. Anywhere, worldwide. In the 20 years since it had been discovered (like I said, this was some years ago). So, an average of 7.5 deaths a year worldwide.

Made me wonder who was benefiting from having us all running around terrified of it and what they had to gain, frankly.

Also, what the heck do you put in your sweet tea that you could possibly get salmonella from it?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mad cow disease. I ate a steak and kidney pie in England around 2001. I still wonder to this day if I got a rogue prion running around.

I've read so much about salmonella and eggs. I've had food poisoning before. It was bad. I got it from some iced sweet tea I set out to cool. Over night. Woops. I drank a glass the next day. I spent the next 2 days in the john. I must've gone every 1/2 hour. It was hell on earth. I've read about Salmonella. I've eaten a lot of soft yolks and chicken that might've needed to be grilled another 15 minutes.... never got sick from it. Sunny side up eggs are my fave.

My mom, to this day, thinks nothing of cooking chicken or stew or beef or... anything.... and leaving it out for hours. She defrosts chicken by taking it out of the freezer and leaving it in the sink for 8-10 hours.
I can't recall the last time I got sick from her food.
I don't worry about food at all. My family calls me "The Goat" because I can eat anything and not get sick. I've left seafood & steak in the car overnight from a dinner out, and will still eat it. On Sundays it's "Leftovers Day" for me and I eat whatever's left in the fridge. I can't stand to waste food.

I've been told that the reason I don't get sick is because I regularly expose my body to germs and that has built up my resistance. I tend to agree. My two grandkids are "sanitized" and they're sick all the time.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:12 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what a depressing thread,,,, of course we all worry or "what ifs"

ok i'll play,

i worry, that we all worry too damn much about food,, i worry that the latest study and sensationalized b.s. sends people in a panic

food is one of the few true enjoyments in life-enjoy it-
Exactly!

Look, we're all going to die, okay? None of us really knows when. Hell, I could get hit by a bus today while walking to my car.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy everything about life that I can, and that includes asking for the fattiest slice of prime rib, pile on some sushi, swill a few tall brews, lay out in the sun, etc.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Exactly!

Look, we're all going to die, okay? None of us really knows when. Hell, I could get hit by a bus today while walking to my car.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy everything about life that I can, and that includes asking for the fattiest slice of prime rib, pile on some sushi, swill a few tall brews, lay out in the sun, etc.
well I can't get hit by a bus, we don't have bus service in this there parts of the country; we are just plane ole country folk!!! I did think, a few minutes ago (I do think once in awhile) while I was making zucchini bread about the days when we used to lick the bowl after mom made cookies or a cake. I think of so many things, like how we survived with no A/C, no dish washers, tiny little refrigerators, and 20 gallon water heaters so there was never much hot water. Many didn't even have a freezer compartment in their fridge. All of us, over 60 can remember those days, under 45 not and between 45 and 60 probably. We all survived, we didn't worry about things because we were too busy having fun and enjoying life. Yep, we will all die sooner or later (I hope a little later) and worrying raises blood pressure. So, for all of you, who think, if I eat this or that, if I go someplace with a germ or two, etc. I might get some horrible disease, you are raising your BP and will die of a stroke instead of dying from what you love to eat..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink