U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,862,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mad cow disease. I ate a steak and kidney pie in England around 2001. I still wonder to this day if I got a rogue prion running around.

I've read so much about salmonella and eggs. I've had food poisoning before. It was bad. I got it from some iced sweet tea I set out to cool. Over night. Woops. I drank a glass the next day. I spent the next 2 days in the john. I must've gone every 1/2 hour. It was hell on earth. I've read about Salmonella. I've eaten a lot of soft yolks and chicken that might've needed to be grilled another 15 minutes.... never got sick from it. Sunny side up eggs are my fave.

My mom, to this day, thinks nothing of cooking chicken or stew or beef or... anything.... and leaving it out for hours. She defrosts chicken by taking it out of the freezer and leaving it in the sink for 8-10 hours.
I can't recall the last time I got sick from her food.

The only worry I have about food is that I have not prepared enough food or choices when we are having guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 AM

13,042 posts, read 7,210,583 times
Chocolate. It's my drug of choice and my secret lover. I could just lie in bed all day long with a box of chocolate satisfying my lust. Maybe even for weeks. Never shower or talk to anyone. Just keep bring me a new box every couple of days. OK it was a beautiful dream, now it's back to reality.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 22,852,078 times
My only fear about food is whether we can produce enough food for the people in the world if all kinds of restrictions are placed upon farmers by the "do gooders".

Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM

2,225 posts, read 4,408,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
great point but we could always purchase organic
Organic doesn't mean clean. I work for a poultry vet/virologist who warned me not to buy the free-range organic eggs sold at the farmers' market where we both used to live. She had been called to that farm several times and said the woman's chickens were not healthy. Oh yeah, they were organic and free range, all right, but their eggs were hosting wild and crazy bacteria parties. Also, some of the hens had been hit by cars because of improper fencing. The chickens themselves were obviously contaminated with salmonella if their eggs were.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:08 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,341,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I worry most about restaurant cleanliness and the hygiene of the people handling my food when I eat out. I have a very sensitive stomach and I can't tell you how many times I get an upset stomach after eating out. I spend a lot for that food! I'd like to hold onto it a little bit longer! (Gross, huh?) I love eating out, though.
I also don't cook fish at home anymore. The one time I cooked tilapia, I darned near killed my husband and myself with food poisoning.

I love Tilapia but to my dismay happened to read the package one day - from China. It has not touched my lips since - maybe it is okay but I try to avoid products that have the 'China' stamp. If a country will poison their own people, what does that you tell you about how seriously they care about those outside their borders.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:29 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,966,117 times
I worry sometimes - getting sick from food is no fun at all, so why wouldn't you want to take precautions and avoid getting sick if you can? I don't stay up nights worrying, but I do make sure to be careful as I can be - cooking meat all the way, not eating food that's been left out too long, washing hands, etc. I guess if I have to choose one worry, it would be about eating food that I can't see how it's been prepared such as at someone else's house or eating out because I can't make sure they take the same precautions that I do.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,737,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I worry sometimes - getting sick from food is no fun at all, so why wouldn't you want to take precautions and avoid getting sick if you can? I don't stay up nights worrying, but I do make sure to be careful as I can be - cooking meat all the way, not eating food that's been left out too long, washing hands, etc. I guess if I have to choose one worry, it would be about eating food that I can't see how it's been prepared such as at someone else's house or eating out because I can't make sure they take the same precautions that I do.
Absolutely sensible to take common-sense precautions and who actually wants to get food poisoning?

But convextech makes good points earlier...also google hygiene hypothesis.

I grew up a farm kid in different countries, (we drank fresh milk squirted right from the cow/goat udders, LOL) plus I've traveled overseas (Mexico, Caribbean, Middle East) a LOT. I've had food poisoning twice in 55 years: Once from fresh salsa bought at an upscale health food store in Boulder, CO (Whole Foods); no amount of sanitizing would have prevented that, several of us got sick and it was documented.

The other time was at the beginning of a 3-month trip through Egypt in the late 1970s and I ate too much food at the beginning of the trip at someone's house and got really, really, seriously ill. However, once I recovered, it was like I was "innoculated" and for the rest of the trip drank water wherever, ate food from street vendors and hole-in-the-wall restaurants with abandon.

I've never been careful with food hygiene in my life and I attribute my robust and sturdy health to never having lived in an over-sanitized environment. People with backgrounds similar to mine are in my experience very healthy. People and kids who've grown up in sanitized environments seem to be almost universally often sick and somewhat fragile. I can't imagine going through life worrying even a leetle bit about "food safety".

Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,530,265 times
When I buy meat for my son I worry about how its been treated. I don't like to contribute to suffering.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:42 AM

17,170 posts, read 22,199,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Absolutely sensible to take common-sense precautions and who actually wants to get food poisoning?

I grew up a farm kid in different countries, (we drank fresh milk squirted right from the cow/goat udders, LOL) plus I've traveled overseas (Mexico, Caribbean, Middle East) a LOT. I've had food poisoning twice in 55 years: Once from fresh salsa bought at an upscale health food store in Boulder, CO (Whole Foods); no amount of sanitizing would have prevented that, several of us got sick and it was documented.

The other time was at the beginning of a 3-month trip through Egypt in the late 1970s and I ate too much food at the beginning of the trip at someone's house and got really, really, seriously ill. However, once I recovered, it was like I was "innoculated" and for the rest of the trip drank water wherever, ate food from street vendors and hole-in-the-wall restaurants with abandon.

I've never been careful with food hygiene in my life and I attribute my robust and sturdy health to never having lived in an over-sanitized environment. People with backgrounds similar to mine are in my experience very healthy. People and kids who've grown up in sanitized environments seem to be almost universally often sick and somewhat fragile. I can't imagine going through life worrying even a leetle bit about "food safety".

good post!!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,462,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

[...]

I feel like maybe I'm inoculated the same way. I hear about "food poisoning" so much yet I don't think I've ever experienced it. Maybe recently I had an especially acute upset stomach, but I've certainly never been hospitalized. Or I'm lucky I can eat just about anything.

That brings me to my own food worry. Kidney disorder is genetic in my family, and despite a healthy lifestyle I could be susceptible anyway. I know the renal diet. It's rough. Basically, all food is potentially hazardous for excess sodium, potassium, and phosphorus particularly. Now name something you eat that doesn't contain any of that. Hint: Not even vegetables and fruits are off the list so don't even think that's the solution.

Basically you have to strictly manage your intake of everything. If that's my future I'll deal, but what a drag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or