U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,596 posts, read 79,920,399 times
Reputation: 38963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Perhaps true, Nita, (although I don't think we were fed food that should have been discarded due to spoiling, if that's what you're referencing & I don't think anyone should), but you must recognize that food was far cleaner 30-yrs ago, some have stronger constitutions than others & some have adverse reactions to some or many foods/drinks/food additives, etc. You sound like someone who doesn't suffer these issues (very lucky, indeed), therefore, doesn't need to be careful.

Honestly, if I could eat a 99-cent can of soup or a cheap hotdog on a white bun, drink instant coffee & soda, etc. & save a pile of $ in the process, I'd do so. But, not only would I feel like a car hit me, I'd have a nice, blotchy, itchy face rash for 1-2 wks & a rip roaring headache for a few days. No thanks, I'll just eat as much as I can sans additives of any sort.



Sure there are some who obsess on anything. But, again... research because one is ill from foods & is attempting to find out why & what to avoid, isn't paranoid or negative. They're smart in wanting to take the path of their own health & well being into their own hands. You don't need to do so, obviously, but consider that there are many of us who do need to be concerned because simple off-the-shelf 'foods' make us feel like we're very, very ill.
Of course none of us served food we knew was spoiled but why would you say, food was much cleaner 30 years ago? I don't understand that statement at all. And no one is suggesting research isn't a good idea, but if you have been alive long enough you would understand just what I am saying. Maybe constitutions were stronger because we didn't stress or even worry about what we were eating, within reason. This isn't saying people do not have allergies to foods, they do, always have and yes, should avoid foods that do make them sick. We are talking about being overly concerned. This thread wasn't started to discuss food allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 1 day ago)
 
17,262 posts, read 22,315,938 times
Reputation: 31490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course none of us served food we knew was spoiled but why would you say, food was much cleaner 30 years ago? I don't understand that statement at all. And no one is suggesting research isn't a good idea, but if you have been alive long enough you would understand just what I am saying. Maybe constitutions were stronger because we didn't stress or even worry about what we were eating, within reason. This isn't saying people do not have allergies to foods, they do, always have and yes, should avoid foods that do make them sick. We are talking about being overly concerned. This thread wasn't started to discuss food allergies.
great post!!

, 30 years ago, food was not cleaner- i worked in a supermarket 30 years ago, and can attest that food from a grocery store is much much cleaner today than back then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Right were I should be!
1,081 posts, read 1,443,311 times
Reputation: 1100
I worry that the food we've been feeding our kids in the USA is so messed up that they will have the effects of deficiencies as they age. I worry that GMO food is no longer digestable by more and more of our society. Other than my personal food allergies, that's it.

Everything else is just consume as much local as you can. Local produce, local dairy, local butcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 4,981,989 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course none of us served food we knew was spoiled
You commented you ate food that should have been tossed... I don't know what else that means, you tell me. What does it mean?

Quote:
...why would you say, food was much cleaner 30 years ago? I don't understand that statement at all.
Then simply ask. Clean, as in many of the additives placed in foods today weren't even created & available back then. Now frozen food is a staple. So, is processed. Not so much back then. I read a statistic (in 'Fit for Life', I believe) that 80% of the foods eaten today didn't exist 20-30 yrs ago.

Quote:
Maybe constitutions were stronger because we didn't stress or even worry about what we were eating, within reason.
Well, that's a stretch. I'd beg to differ that people have weakened immune systems because they are concerned about consuming good food. Maybe Richard Simmons is the only one who falls into that category. It's more daily stresses like economy, job loss, kids' concerns, money, relationships, family, et al, which stress one's immune system.

Quote:
This isn't saying people do not have allergies to foods, they do, always have and yes, should avoid foods that do make them sick. We are talking about being overly concerned. This thread wasn't started to discuss food allergies.
I mentioned many other things than allergies & you missed the point of why, which was, it's perfectly legitimate & proactive to be concerned about what one consumes if one has reactions. Instead, some of you are touting it as paranoid. Unfair.

But, believe what you like & perhaps consider laying off the caffeine. Your mood will improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 02:27 AM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 4,981,989 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
I worry that the food we've been feeding our kids in the USA is so messed up that they will have the effects of deficiencies as they age. I worry that GMO food is no longer digestable by more and more of our society. Other than my personal food allergies, that's it.

Everything else is just consume as much local as you can. Local produce, local dairy, local butcher.
I agree, Sio, good points on GMO & effects.

Do you say consume local because you can find farms which don't use preservatives, for instance... or is it to support your community... or, it's fresher as it wasn't shipped... or all the above? For some reason, I never thought much about in which state it was grown, just that it's fresh & organic, but it's worth taking into consideration.

And, we can't mention allergies as per Nita. It makes her mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 AM
 
Location: Temporarily, in Limerick
2,898 posts, read 4,981,989 times
Reputation: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
30 years ago, food was not cleaner- i worked in a supermarket 30 years ago, and can attest that food from a grocery store is much much cleaner today than back then
I wasn't mentioning the cleanliness of a store. I've seen unclean Whole Foods in CO, which surprised me, given how much they charge for everything. Clean as in purity of how the food is grown & processed. Perhaps there's a better/more common word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 03:56 AM
 
6,126 posts, read 5,186,149 times
Reputation: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I worked with several people who were SDA and never noticed them with dietary restrictions beyond not eating pork or shellfish, and abstaining from anything with alcohol or caffeine. In fact, one liked Tabasco sauce on his eggs. Many SDA's are voluntarily vegetarian, as the church recommends it, but doesn't require it.

After reading about your in laws, I started to wonder about their 'religious' restrictions. And as far as I can find, there's no SDA rules prohibiting vinegar, pepper, spices or sugar.

I'm not posting this information to hassle you, as I think making your in laws comfortable is a wonderful thing to do. But if someone else reads this, I don't want them to thing that your in-laws preference for bland food is a religious requirement.

It isn't a strict requirement, but extremely conservative SDA's (like my in-laws) adhere strictly to the teachings of Ellen White, the founder of their church, who wrote extensively about avoiding foods that "irritate the stomach and heat the blood". She wrote a whole book on diet in the 1800's. Another teaching of hers that they follow strictly is eating only twice a day, breakfast and lunch in the early afternoon. No "dinner" per se. We're used to eating dinner at 6:00 or so, so when visiting we had to make sure we had plenty of snacks along for the kids to eat in the evening. They don't eat chocolate, either (not sure why).

My mother-in-law is a very good cook considering the restrictions. I just couldn't eat like that every day.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 10-13-2013 at 04:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 03:58 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,062 posts, read 52,567,078 times
Reputation: 162107
Quote:
What are your food worries?
Point of origin...: China!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,596 posts, read 79,920,399 times
Reputation: 38963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Point of origin...: China!
I agree, my problem though is: most foods we like to use in Asian cooking have come from China. It is almost a no win situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,596 posts, read 79,920,399 times
Reputation: 38963
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I agree, Sio, good points on GMO & effects.

Do you say consume local because you can find farms which don't use preservatives, for instance... or is it to support your community... or, it's fresher as it wasn't shipped... or all the above? For some reason, I never thought much about in which state it was grown, just that it's fresh & organic, but it's worth taking into consideration.

And, we can't mention allergies as per Nita. It makes her mad.
wow, let me just fill you in on a couple of things, then I am dropping this nonsense: 1-I consume almost no caffeine, a couple of cups of coffee before breakfast: 2-I have been called a lot of things but rarely lacking in good moods and attitude: 3-you did refer to cleanliness, I simply said food preparation is cleaner today, I doubt very seriously you can remember much of what food handling was probably like 40 to 50 or more years ago: 4-I do buy locally when I can, I believe in supporting the local merchants and I grow as much as I can, plus do my own preserving, both freezing and canning: unfortunately, we no longer live in Ca where we could get almost all our produce and meat from local growers: last but not least, I agreed about people having allergies. Our own granddaughter, when she was very young had a terrible reaction to peanuts, and our son is allergic to many foods.

So, I think you totally took my posting out of content, I am simply giving another side of the picture. Isn't this what City Date is about. I don't understand why you took offense to someone disagreeing with you. None of us can be expected to agree with each other all the time. No, we never ate food we knew was spoiled, what a silly idea, I think I said, we probably did eat foods that may have been spoiled without knowing it.

This is my side, take it or leave it, but I can't see continuing with a useless discussion like this.

Last edited by nmnita; 10-13-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top