U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Kool-Aid is sugary junk food. I don't recommend anyone drink it.

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a metaphor commonly used in the United States that refers to a person or group holding an unquestioned belief, argument, or philosophy without critical examination. It could also refer to knowingly going along with a doomed or dangerous idea because of peer pressure. The phrase typically carries a negative connotation when applied to an individual or group. The phrase derives from the November 1978 Jonestown Massacre,[1][2][3] where members of the Peoples Temple, who were followers of the pro-Communist cult leader Reverend Jim Jones, committed suicide by drinking a mixture of a powdered soft drink flavoring agent laced with cyanide.[4][5] The true brand name used has been disputed and named as being Flavor-Aid. However, due to the brand recognition strength of Kool-Aid in the United States, any similar colored powder one would mix with water to create such a beverage would commonly be referred to as Kool-Aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM

3,321 posts, read 3,564,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I don't understand the concept of worrying. What does worrying accomplish? Giving you high blood pressure? If you can do something about what you are worried about, then do it. If you can't do anything about it, take it as it comes.
With the pork chops, I suggest buttered noodles, green beans and homemade applesauce.
I put a sweet potato on the grill.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:45 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I put a sweet potato on the grill.
Heck I would take either the sweet potato or the buttered green beans.. The sweet potato is probably healthier but oh how I love my buttered anything!!!!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
"Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a metaphor commonly used in the United States...
You've missed the humor in my comment, Mainer, but that's okay. It's rampant throughout this thread. Be well.

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 10-16-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 AM

16,474 posts, read 20,009,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I love Tilapia but to my dismay happened to read the package one day - from China. It has not touched my lips since - maybe it is okay but I try to avoid products that have the 'China' stamp. If a country will poison their own people, what does that you tell you about how seriously they care about those outside their borders.
Please, then, don't read the most recent article in The Economist on the Water Crisis in China, where in some areas of China the water is so polluted it's advisable to not even wash your clothes in it, and you can well-imagine what those tilapia, or any other, fish ponds look like! And yet, store after store, starting with Wal-Mart, just about every blasted package of fish, no matter what kind of fish even salmon, has Product of China on it!

Any time I get to corner someone in the meat/fish department, working there, I give them a piece of my mind, or crack them over the head with a frozen package of fish!

After being terrorized by reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, and what all goes on in our meat-packing plants, I've resigned myself to believing no matter what we buy today has its risks.

And to avoid the risks, best? to cook everything in a slow-cooker, and cook it for 6-10 hours and make sure every contaminant has disappeared.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,476,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I worry most about restaurant cleanliness and the hygiene of the people handling my food when I eat out. I have a very sensitive stomach and I can't tell you how many times I get an upset stomach after eating out. I spend a lot for that food! I'd like to hold onto it a little bit longer! (Gross, huh?) I love eating out, though.
I also don't cook fish at home anymore. The one time I cooked tilapia, I darned near killed my husband and myself with food poisoning.
As a former cook let me give you some advice about cleanliness & hygiene in a restaurant. Check out their bathrooms first! If they are clean their kitchens probably are as well!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
our salmon doesn't come from China, I just checked the package, it is a product of Chili; our Cod is a product of the USA, raised and manufactured in NH and our Tilapia is manufactured in WA state and is a product of the USA. I don' know about the Shrimp...So, I think it is wrong to assume all our fish comes from China. I think it is important to check the packaging. You might be surprised at how much is produced here or in countries near America.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM

14,298 posts, read 17,505,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any time I get to corner someone in the meat/fish department, working there, I give them a piece of my mind, or crack them over the head with a frozen package of fish!
I truly hope your kidding. Those employees have no control over what is being ordered by the corporation. If you have complaints, take it to the national HQ, or bombard their Facebook page. The employees have enough work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
After being terrorized by reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, and what all goes on in our meat-packing plants, I've resigned myself to believing no matter what we buy today has its risks.

And to avoid the risks, best? to cook everything in a slow-cooker, and cook it for 6-10 hours and make sure every contaminant has disappeared.
Thanks, but I'll stay home and eat my very rare steaks from the grill, pink centered pork chops, and medium rare lamb.

Life is full of "risks". Driving on the highway is a bigger risk than eating what I enjoy.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:34 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The prolification of fru-fru yuppie/hipsterish foods that are trendy, organic and very much overpriced.

These fru-fru foods are starting to crowd-out and drive-up the prices of "normal foods. For example, Safeway used to be a really good, blue-collar type store. Now, wow, more and more fru-fru
cp which is effecting the price of their "normal" line of products.

NO, I DO NOT WANT TO BUY A ORGANIC POLENTA WRAP FOR 7 BUCKS! WTF is polenta anyways?
Fru-fru food? Lol! There's more to food than meat and potatoes or Mac and Cheese. Live a little. Step out of your comfort zone. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As a former cook let me give you some advice about cleanliness & hygiene in a restaurant. Check out their bathrooms first! If they are clean their kitchens probably are as well!

A co-worker of mine just said the same thing this morning! We were talking about Chinese restaurants in the vicinity that come and go (and were speculating on the reasons they "go"). There were the usual snarky comments about the Chinese cooking dogs and cats, but one said she always inspected the bathroom before she ate in any Chinese restaurant and if it was filthy - no matter how delicious the buffet looked - she wouldn't eat there.

We heard a horror story about a Chinese restaurant that was cited by the health inspector - for receiving meat and produce in an UNREFRIGERATED truck. The place is still open, but I'll never eat there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or