U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 AM

5,442 posts, read 4,513,858 times

Advertisements

My son and I stopped at a Chinese restaurant that had an optional buffet. The restaurant was practically empty when we got there except for a large table at the back filled with what were obviously restaurant workers. They watched us our entire meal, and when we went up to the buffet for a second helping, all eyes were on us. We couldn't figure out what the attraction was, but it made us extremely uncomfortable.

When we got up to pay our bill, the entire table emptied and the workers rushed up to the buffet and started filling their plates. Unbeknown to us, we had gotten to the restaurant 10 minutes before they closed, and the workers were waiting for us to leave so they could have their supper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 11:21 AM

4,080 posts, read 3,331,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I doubt she was puking or she would not weight 500+ lbs.
Oh bc...thanks for sayin' what I was a thinkin'.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:37 AM

9,047 posts, read 6,219,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not sad if no food is wasted. Besides, if it is not your family what do you care how someone eats and why is it your choice what "their limit" is?

My Brother can eat like you would not believe and at a buffet is the best place to take him because it is cost effective.
Also my Mother eats more than my Brother so yes, we absolutely take them to the buffet when we take them out to eat.
Trust me no food gets wasted at our table and my husband and I don't eat like that so what we waste cost wise with our meal my Brother and Mother makes up for with their meals.
Speaking of healthy appetites at a Golden Corral Buffet, makes me think of when our local high school football coach brings the entire team in after a game. I don't think the restaurant makes any money that night!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:42 AM

9,047 posts, read 6,219,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Gluttony is very unattractive. I don't go to buffets for this reason, and also the food is always barely mediocre. Even if we went to one when we had all the kids at home, we did not allow them to only eat a lot of what they liked, and no other foods. It is a teachable moment that is lost on some people.

Once I saw two fat people load up on crab legs, every time the buffet refilled them, these two went and took them. Nobody else could get any. One of many things that made me say, "never again."

The only time I'm in favor of going to a buffet is if I'm traveling with a bunch of kids, like a sports team. Then a buffet makes total sense.

We see a few people taking all the crab legs nearly every time we go to a buffet that has them. IMO it's disgusting to see those folks run up and load up multiple plates with as much crab as the plate will hold, every time the crabs are refilled, and leave little if nothing for others. IMO it's the same mentality as taking all the shrimp out of the shrimp with veggies pan, and so on, but no one seems to do much about it.

We don't go to buffets much anymore, it's too much food.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:43 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,506,787 times
On Thursday nights, the local country club has a buffet. I was invited to join 3 others who belong to the club (I don't) so we would have a foursome for bridge after dining. Doggy bags are not allowed, but, one woman in our group asked for a takeout container. She is morbidly obese and I'd noticed she heaped her plate and another smaller plate and I assumed she knew her appetite. What she knew is she was taking her leftovers home, rules or no rules.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:37 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,824,358 times
At 83, isn't he too old to do any wild stuff? Oh, you meant Buffet with one 't'? Never mind... ...

Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 PM

693 posts, read 740,657 times
Not exactly a buffet story, but years ago when I worked at Wendy's, they had a salad bar. One day I looked out at the salad bar to see a woman sampling the dressings by slurping from the ladles. We asked her to leave, shut down the salad bar and threw away all the dressings. I could not believe someone would do that.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 PM

14,178 posts, read 17,238,760 times
To the OP: If this person was truly mentally ill, you are sadly lacking in compassion.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM

7,660 posts, read 10,020,618 times
I have empathy for very obese people, do you know the emotional pain they must feel from people ostracizing them??

Old 10-13-2013, 02:52 PM

16,316 posts, read 15,619,740 times
My family was eating at a Chinese Restaurant with an all you can buffet when about six or eight high school football players walked in (probably all line backers). The shocked look on the face of the owner was priceless. But he quickly regained his composure and started smiling. It was amazing how much they ate! But, after all they were "growing boys".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink