Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:31 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of buffets because there is too much food and I end up just eating salad because it is too overwhelming. However, when I was a club advisor, we were at the state competitions and a young man from one of the schools had his breakfast plate piled so high that you could barely see him. He was very thin and I wondered if he didn't usually get very much to eat. It has been about eight or nine years, but I can still see that young man.

Another time, a friend wanted to take me to a Chinese buffet and told me that they had lots of fish and a great aquarium. What she didn't tell me was that the window was full of frogs and that when someone ordered frog legs, they just went to the window with a pail and put the frogs in the pail. They then walked across the dining room trying to keep the frogs in the pail. I am not sure if she actually thought that the fish were like pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 04:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,213,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Why wold the cop get there? Did she not pay for it? I totally understand what you are saying, I would be disgusted too. But I missing the part with the cops.
Because 3 young girls working there kept trying to get her to leave and she would not listen, and she kept stopping at tables bothering other diners on her many trips back and forth. No idea if she paid or not.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Oh, I didn't know she was harassing other guests. Sorry.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
A finally just one little more waaffer thin mint.....

Caution extreme Monty.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:05 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,183 times
Not quite the same...but sort of. One December, our upper management decided to have a "dessert party", they supplied cookies, cakes, etc, and all of the staff would come, grab some cookies and mingle.

But there were some people...who would stroll in, pile 3 plates full of cookies and cake, then run back to their desks. I'm not sure if they wanted to go into a diabetic coma that afternoon, or if they were bringing it home for their families. It was quite weird.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
@DDude..
You say "Probably a mentally unstable person and possibly destitute and your continuing disgust is a show of the kind of human being you are "

Disgusting behavior is still disgusting, and to venture what is merely a guess that someone must be deranged to act that way, and therefore they are not responsible, is begging the question,.i.e circular reasoning, a tautology of your own construction.
I really don't care why such bizarre and uncivil behavior occurs, but I sure have a right to be offended by it.
And because of the many 'grossities' I have seen at buffets, especially in Las Vegas, I stay away from them like the plague.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:17 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
A finally just one little more waaffer thin mint.....

Caution extreme Monty.

Ah, yes, Mr. Creosote! And that's the meaning of life for some folks!

Old 10-13-2013, 06:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
Not exactly a buffet story, but years ago when I worked at Wendy's, they had a salad bar. One day I looked out at the salad bar to see a woman sampling the dressings by slurping from the ladles. We asked her to leave, shut down the salad bar and threw away all the dressings. I could not believe someone would do that.
Today, we were at a grocery store with a salad bar. There was a guy slyly stealing food from it with his bare hands. He took a few beans and popped them in his mouth.
And THAT is why I do not eat a buffets anymore.

When I go out to eat at a restaurant, I just like to hope and believe that everybody in the kitchen has washed their hands thoroughly. The general public is a different story.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 PM

747 posts, read 1,681,539 times
No real stories to share but I find it weird so many people care what or how much others eat at a buffet. I say mind your own plates and enjoy YOUR dinner and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing. Anyone that has enough time to sit and watch others eat and count plates/trips to the buffet really don't have much of a life. I'd hate to think that's all I had to do while I was eating or after I finished was to judge people based on how much they ate, that's pretty pathetic.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 PM

427 posts, read 947,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not sad if no food is wasted. Besides, if it is not your family what do you care how someone eats and why is it your choice what "their limit" is?

My Brother can eat like you would not believe and at a buffet is the best place to take him because it is cost effective.
Also my Mother eats more than my Brother so yes, we absolutely take them to the buffet when we take them out to eat.
Trust me no food gets wasted at our table and my husband and I don't eat like that so what we waste cost wise with our meal my Brother and Mother makes up for with their meals.
People don't eat that much food to satisfy hunger. They eat it because there is no incremental cost to re-filling their plates. Sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink