U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times

Advertisements

Title is supposed to read "your" story, not "you" story. Anyways...

Another post got me thinking about this, and all of the interesting things that people hear and see at the local buffet. Hopefully Julian will share their "50 napkins" story here.

What is your story?

Here is mine:

Once DH and I were at the local China buffet and there was an obviously mentally ill 500+ lb woman there who was wreaking havoc on the buffet and the patrons. We just sat there amazed and disgusted at the same time. This woman was incredibly massive and was going to the buffet, filling her plate 6 inches high, inhaling it all, then going to the restroom (we assume to puke it up), she would come out, fill another plate, and repeat the whole process over and over. She must of done this 6 times while we were there and half the restaurant was in awe just silently staring at her while looking sick.

I felt so sorry for the meek little Asian girls working there. They were all about 20 years old, and kept fluttering around her all worried and trying to get her to leave in quiet little voices. She left around the same time we did, I assume before the cops got there, and was wandering around in the parking lot begging people for more money.

Last edited by L0ve; 10-12-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,328,308 times
I doubt she was puking or she would not weight 500+ lbs.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
I feel like I've experienced this thread before - must be Déjà vu.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:48 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,147,846 times
When DH and our girls and I were on the road during vacation, we stopped for a late dinner at Golden Corral. It was a half hour before closing.

Now, DH likes to make sure he gets his money's worth (and we are not exactly known for bieng light eaters). He was afraid they'd run out of food and not replenish the buffet, so he made sure he got his share of EVERYTHING he wanted. My two girls and I sat at one table, and he sat across the aisle - four loaded plates in front of him, ond one dinner plate piled with dessert. He needn't have done that - they did not run out of food, and they didn't kick us out immediately at closing (even though he was still eating).

Once we went to a local restaurant well known for its Sunday breakfast buffet. They made belgian waffles and omelettes to order as well, and brought them to your table. DH ordered (and ate) three large specially ordered belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream (DH told the waitress to "keep them coming"), as well as numerous trips to the buffet for sausage, bacon, hashbrowns, etc. Washed down with at least six glasses of orange juice.

After the third belgian waffle, the wide eyed waitress asked, "Does he eat like this at home?"

Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 AM

427 posts, read 760,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
When DH and our girls and I were on the road during vacation, we stopped for a late dinner at Golden Corral. It was a half hour before closing.

Now, DH likes to make sure he gets his money's worth (and we are not exactly known for bieng light eaters). He was afraid they'd run out of food and not replenish the buffet, so he made sure he got his share of EVERYTHING he wanted. My two girls and I sat at one table, and he sat across the aisle - four loaded plates in front of him, ond one dinner plate piled with dessert. He needn't have done that - they did not run out of food, and they didn't kick us out immediately at closing (even though he was still eating).

Once we went to a local restaurant well known for its Sunday breakfast buffet. They made belgian waffles and omelettes to order as well, and brought them to your table. DH ordered (and ate) three large specially ordered belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream (DH told the waitress to "keep them coming"), as well as numerous trips to the buffet for sausage, bacon, hashbrowns, etc. Washed down with at least six glasses of orange juice.

After the third belgian waffle, the wide eyed waitress asked, "Does he eat like this at home?"
There are no limits for some people. Pretty sad.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post

Not sad if no food is wasted. Besides, if it is not your family what do you care how someone eats and why is it your choice what "their limit" is?

My Brother can eat like you would not believe and at a buffet is the best place to take him because it is cost effective.
Also my Mother eats more than my Brother so yes, we absolutely take them to the buffet when we take them out to eat.
Trust me no food gets wasted at our table and my husband and I don't eat like that so what we waste cost wise with our meal my Brother and Mother makes up for with their meals.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,001,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
I agree. I refuse to eat in public with my sister and her family. They are pigs at a trough. Embarrassing and disgusting. To have a healthy appetite is one thing; to act like it's your last meal is quite another.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 AM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Gluttony is very unattractive. I don't go to buffets for this reason, and also the food is always barely mediocre. Even if we went to one when we had all the kids at home, we did not allow them to only eat a lot of what they liked, and no other foods. It is a teachable moment that is lost on some people.

Once I saw two fat people load up on crab legs, every time the buffet refilled them, these two went and took them. Nobody else could get any. One of many things that made me say, "never again."

The only time I'm in favor of going to a buffet is if I'm traveling with a bunch of kids, like a sports team. Then a buffet makes total sense.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:26 AM

5,799 posts, read 4,810,185 times
Actually, my wildest buffet story is this:

My local Chinese restaurant buffet line usually has sushi. I love sushi, but don't eat it there because the one time I tried it on the buffet it was dried out and gross - I don't think that many people eat it.

But, the last time I went, I saw this abomination: FRIED SUSHI!!!!!

I guess that was the restaurant's way of trying to make sushi attractive to the local palate.

Ewww!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:54 AM

319 posts, read 364,505 times
I haven't been to a buffet of any sort in a very long time, but the last time I did, it cost like 12 dollars per plate and was just terrible! I could have had an 89 cent Banquet TV dinner instead and gotten the same quality.

But my weirdest buffet story is from a few years before that. A companion and I were trying out a Chinese buffet in a neighboring town. We'd heard it was good, but had never gone there. When we walked in, we were treated to a disturbing sight. This place had TONS of aquariums everywhere. But they weren't decorated or anything, they just had huge, weird-looking fish in them. They were filthy, too. An employee was elbow-deep in one of the larger tanks. It looked like he was wiping something off the inside with a rag.

The air was heavy with humidity and the stink of fish.

As I watched in horror, this employee finished with the aquarium, walked directly over to the buffet, and began fiddling with the food. He stirred stuff, adjusted utensils, and even tinkered with the dishes a bit - all with his bare, unwashed hands.

We left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink