Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,965,118 times

Advertisements

Lots of great shopping techniques in this thread.

But why on earth are you cooking for your hubby? I assume he can't cook, but if you can't either, why should you be the one to learn -- and to accommodate his weird tastes?

Just let him be in charge of planning and cooking the main dishes for the family each night, and you can cook side dishes that include stuff he doesn't eat but that you and the kids need (e.g. vegies). If you want to help, you could do the shopping from a list he prepares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,130,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
I dont know! I think the bill adds up because the kids need bread, cheese cereal then I pick up a bottle of windex, some paper towels etc...

by the time I get home we hardly have anything to eat.
Agree with others ditch the paper products, use natural cleaners or just one multi like Pine Sol, Mr. Clean etc. if you do buy the other cleaners but the big refill kind to save. Vinegar can be used for clothes softener and it won't make your clothes smell like vinegar. Now that it is just me I can make a bottle of Downey & laundry soap last way longer than when I had kids at home.

Don't take the kids shopping with you and yes make a list until you are more experienced in shopping & cooking. Pay in cash until you get within a budget you can live with plastic, whether debit or credit, is to easy to over spend. Stop buying cold cereal it is just empty calories and expensive buy oatmeal or grits for the kids morning meals. Making a skillet of scrambled eggs with toast instead of cold cereal too much cheaper & more filling. Breakfast for supper is cheaper too as well as one meal a week go meatless.

Veggies can be incorporated into meatloaf (shredded carrots, celery, onions), pasta sauce add shredded carrots for the sweetening factor to offset the acid in the tomatoes. Make casseroles to get your kids to eat more variety and make a burger for DH if he won't eat the casseroles. They are big money stretchers a pound of ground beef can feed 6 in a casserole making burgers maybe 2-2.5 servings.

Try some of these easy recipes can you talk to your DH about his food choices to not make a big deal out of not eating veggies & pasta? That way it won't impact your kid's minds before they try new foods.

Meat and Potatoes Recipes

I'd love to cook for your family this would be a fun challenge to see what they will eat.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:29 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,962,022 times
When life was busy and I cooked every night we bought a small chest freezer and my husband & I went once a month to a food warehouse like BJ's or costco..togther we picked out frozen entrees & meats and froze the meats into meal portions..Then weekly I bought fruits, veggies and other stuff..

He didn't complain when it was stuff he had helped pick out..I often cooked a big enough meal to have 2 nights in a row..I made chili, veg soup, roast & things in the crock pot and froze some for another few meals..

Get him grilling, that can ease your cooking job..

Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,077,370 times
Anyone can learn to cook! I used to make only the basics - tacos, spaghetti using sauce from a jar, etc. Baking involved a box. Now I am learning to make lots of different things and cook from scratch. I love love love skinny taste (google it)! She provides lots of pictures and she has so many recipes to choose from and they are all (relatively) healthy. Get a good collection of spices going as well. They can be expensive, but they last a long time and using spices to season your food versus salt, sour cream, tons of cheese, mayo, etc. is so much better for you. Not that you can't use those things, but in moderation. I try to think in advance what recipes I'm going to make, then I write down all the ingredients I'll need for everything (a lot of times I already have some of the things on hand). Then I supplement the list with the basics - eggs, bread, milk, juice, etc. Tell yourself you can only buy what's on your list no matter what. Include house hold items on your list. I usually buy household items and things like chicken broth, beans, rice, etc. at a cheaper place like Target, and then I'll go to a nice grocery store for my meat and fresh produce.

You can adjust recipes to suit your family's tastes. I personally HATE onions, so any recipe that calls for them I leave them out! It sounds like your husband is beyond picky. He needs to expand his tastes and set a better example for your kids about trying new foods. You can always make a roast. So easy. Get a good chuck roast or London broil, cut up some potatoes, throw in some baby carrots, cover it with water, and sprinkle a packet of onion seasoning mix over top and let it cook on low in the crock pot all day. Fantastic meal and so easy!! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink