Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM

16,894 posts, read 16,023,708 times

Advertisements

I like the smell of a good pair of kippers under the broiler in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,214,079 times
The coffee can when you first rip it open.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,728,081 times
I love the smell of freshly ground coffee beans.

I also adore the smell of fresh herbs. My favorites:

* Cilantro
* Basil
* Parsley

Nothing better than the smell of garlic cooking.

One of the best odors is cooking lentils or beans with bay leaves and cumin. It feels the space with a feeling of home.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:57 PM

16,894 posts, read 16,023,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The coffee can when you first rip it open.

Oh, yes! That, and the smell of the peanut butter when you first open it!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM

993 posts, read 1,554,368 times
*Gag* definitely NOT bacon. The smells of bacon and buttered popcorn make me nauseous.

I'm going to go with brownies. I've been baking yeast coffee cakes for friends and neighbors lately, and that's another pleasant smell to fill up my kitchen.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:34 PM

4,166 posts, read 4,403,883 times
1) Streusel (its the cinnamon and sweet spices mixed with light almandine essence)
2) Nutroll
3) Strudel
4) Apple or Peach pie
5) Bread (just about any type fresh yeast risen dough - yum)
6) Frying ham
7) BBQ ribs
8) Charcoal grilled Salmon
9) Beef stew (sirloin tips after simmering with onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots etc... for about 4 hours)
10) Roasting pecans
11) Carmelized butter (especially on oven baked already boiled potato chunks)
12) Fresh homemade donuts especially a cinnamon roll

Old 10-22-2013, 05:35 PM

302 posts, read 367,512 times
O boy ! Who ever makes home made jam knows the smell is intoxicating !! And any kind of cake too yum : )

Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 PM

810 posts, read 1,338,034 times
No surprises, at least 9/10 of the replies involve garlic.

I'm in the minority who are absolutely disgusted by garlic and don't feel well immediately after eating it. So I avoid it, but this is impossible in small amounts since even chicken nuggets have garlic powder in them. I end up going too heavy on red or black pepper just to overpower the garlic (even if there's a slight amount I still notice it).

The entire "the more garlic the better, no such thing as too much garlic" has really made everything taste the same (not to mention leads to lazy cooking), and I don't even go out to eat anymore, because all I'm doing is looking at the menu seeing what has the least garlic.

The difference between regular mashed potatoes and garlic mashed potatoes? The regular mashed potatoes have only slightly less garlic in them.

It's just such indoctrination has taken over America, I remember being a kid in the 90s and the garlic fascination wasn't nearly what it is today. There need to be some garlic-free options, the same way there's gluten-free. Before, only certain types of foods were garlic-heavy, now it's almost everything. It can be complicating as well, imagine you're at a wedding and the salad dressing has garlic in it, the main course is a steak with chopped garlic and garlic butter for the garlic bread.

It's just really overdone... I can't be the only person who thinks so. At least I hope not.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,336,737 times
Hmmm. I agree with the coffee and bacon. I don't eat bacon normally, though, but it smells delicious. In terms of just smelling nice, I like cardamom.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,777,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
...It's just such indoctrination has taken over America, I remember being a kid in the 90s and the garlic fascination wasn't nearly what it is today...
LOL - I like what tastes good to me, not what is "fashionable." I happen to love garlic - LOTS of garlic. I find it offensive that someone would attribute my taste for garlic as a fashionable trend or "indoctrination."

Who would benefit from "indoctrinating" folks with a simple palate, like you imply I have, that more garlic is better? Damn the torpedoes - give me garlic, give me onions, give me flavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink