U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM

69,288 posts, read 79,469,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
It has been ages since I had neckbones. I don't even know if the local markets carry them. I'll have to remember to look for them next time. They are delicious!
I have never seen them here. I think I have fixed them only once since we were married. As a kid we had them from time to time, with cabbage. I love the neck of the turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,600,981 times
Love neck bones! I make lots of soups and use neck bones or shin bones to make the base broth. When I take the bones out to let them cool enough to handle I have to force myself not to eat the meat I'm pulling off the bones.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM

4,099 posts, read 3,390,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My mother cooked neck bone occasionally, so I knew they were good eating when I bought some this week. I cook them rarely, but, will be doing so more often, I think. In the microwave, they pop way too much, so, these were put on top of stove in a skillet with a lid and not once did the bones pop. Every bite was totally delicious and I will have the rest today. No salt, but, pepper if desired. An inch of water in the skillet with burner sorta low. Add water as needed. Probably, tender after 2 hours of simmering, maybe a little longer.

Have you ever eaten neck bones or would you?
Yes, and I agree they are absolutely delicious. As my mother did she would make an Italian gravy (pasta sauce) with the usual ingredients of olive oil, crushed tomatoes, tomatoe paste, and tomatoe sauce, fresh rosemary, basil, oregano, and sautéed onions, and garlic. Once this was on the stove in a big sauce pot she would brown her pork neck bones, a lamb shank and Italian pork sausage really well and then toss it all in her tomatoe sauce and let it all simmer for a couple of hours (2-3) on low.

It made all the difference in the world to the flavor of her very hearty gravy/sauce and she always made enough for that night's dinner as well as freezing a portion for another meal or two.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Yes, and I agree they are absolutely delicious. As my mother did she would make an Italian gravy (pasta sauce) with the usual ingredients of olive oil, crushed tomatoes, tomatoe paste, and tomatoe sauce, fresh rosemary, basil, oregano, and sautéed onions, and garlic. Once this was on the stove in a big sauce pot she would brown her pork neck bones, a lamb shank and Italian pork sausage really well and then toss it all in her tomatoe sauce and let it all simmer for a couple of hours (2-3) on low.

It made all the difference in the world to the flavor of her very hearty gravy/sauce and she always made enough for that night's dinner as well as freezing a portion for another meal or two.
Chef Michael Symon also uses neck bones in I believe he stated it was his grandmother's recipe. Interesting but I haven't tried it yet. I bet it makes the recipe more savory.

I found the recipe.

Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound pork neck bones
1 pound ground veal
1 pound ground beef
1 pound spicy Italian sausage, loose or removed from casings
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes, with their juice
2 bay leaves
1 pound dried lasagna noodles
2 pounds whole milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 large eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for final topping
1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, grated

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ml?oc=linkback

Last edited by CMichele; 10-22-2013 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,584,557 times
My old Italian grandmother, God rest her soul, used to put neckbones in her sauce for flavor. When it was finished she would fish out the large chunks and give them to my brother and I to eat. I remember thoroughly enjoying it!!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,484,254 times
Roasted pork neck in Fideo soup.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 403 times
I love neckbones so much that I'll buy at least 2 packages and put them in a crackpot with a small measure of water and let them simmer for 4-8 hour. It would be "neckbone night" for me!!! Nothing but necks!!!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,135,059 times
Braised neck bones are great. I also add smoked neck bones to a pot of collards and onions.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:47 PM

11,697 posts, read 16,450,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Braised neck bones are great. I also add smoked neck bones to a pot of collards and onions.
I will bring the cornbread.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:06 PM

7,849 posts, read 10,151,521 times
My father used them to make soup stock from. That's an old memory--years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink