Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How difficult would it be to give up meat for life?
I cannot live without meat so life as I know it would be over. 31 23.85%
It would be a struggle, but i could manage. 53 40.77%
Meh. Take it or leave it. 28 21.54%
I don't eat meat now, so no sweat. 18 13.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,231,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I've eaten enough vegan/vegetarian meals (DH's parents and a few family members are vegan/vegetarian). Some were good, some not so, and some down right nasty. I've endured "tofu turkey" on Thanksgiving, "lentil burgers", "vegan" chili, and that Worthington and Loma Linda "crap in a can" frankenmeat that defies description. That stuff just DOES NOT taste good to me. Pasta is all right, but I couldn't eat it every day without getting sick of it, and I don't like vegetables enough to fill the void with them.

DH was raised his first 18 years vegetarian/vegan. He says he much prefers eating meat and could never go back to eating that way again.
Surely is good to meet someone else who doesn't like vegetables enough to fill the void. I thought I was a loner. On that thought, have you ever wondered why two-year-olds suddenly start screaming "NO" to vegetables? Answer: Have you ever tasted baby food vegetables? Ugh! No wonder we don't like vegetables.

I like Amy's frozen entrees for vegetarian but they are so heavy with carbs which I try to cut back on. I'm defeated already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 01:08 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,433,320 times
Not an excuse either because I don't owe one, but in my household that has to accommodate a renal diet it would be impossible. Legumes, grains and vegetables are not a viable substitute. It would have to be a $pecialty protein.

Ovo-lacto or pescatarian I could do right now. For me personally it would also be possible to remove all animal products, even with a lot more prep to keep my food interesting. Sure I could do it. I don't mean to at the moment but that could change down the line.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:24 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,315,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Surely is good to meet someone else who doesn't like vegetables enough to fill the void. I thought I was a loner. On that thought, have you ever wondered why two-year-olds suddenly start screaming "NO" to vegetables? Answer: Have you ever tasted baby food vegetables? Ugh! No wonder we don't like vegetables.

I like Amy's frozen entrees for vegetarian but they are so heavy with carbs which I try to cut back on. I'm defeated already.
I like my vegetables on the side if there is room on the plate next to the meat and mashed potatoes. A meal of just vegetables by themselves does NOT appeal to me or fill me up, and I hate "fillers" like cereal, lentils and beans. Rice in any form (except rice pudding) - forget it. Tofu - yuck...I can't get past looking at it out of the package. Pasta and just vegetables by themselves leaves me feeling hungry and sluggish soon after. If I eat a meal with a lot of lean meat protein, it carries me for hours.

Another thing that makes NO SENSE to me is the appeal of stuff like "Wam" (fake ham) or the Worthington/Loma Linda "fake meat in a can". They are chock full of God-knows-what preservatives and sodium, and is supposed to "tase like meat". If you don't eat meat for health reasons, why would you want to concoct a bunch of unhealthy sounding crap and masquerade it as a chicken nugget, hot dog, or salisbury steak?. And if you gave up meat for ethical purposes, and miss it so much that you must eat something fake that is supposed to "taste" like it, it just strikes me as a tad hypocritical.

Side note on the "baby food" vegetables - I was at a baby shower recently, and we played a game called "guess the baby food". It was tough to tell the peas from the beans or tell the orange stuff apart (squash, carrots, sweet potatoes). Probably hard to tell the taste apart too.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 10-31-2013 at 03:41 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,051,534 times
Quote:
I like my vegetables on the side if there is room on the plate next to the meat and mashed potatoes. A meal of just vegetables by themselves does NOT appeal to me or fill me up, and I hate "fillers" like cereal, lentils and beans. Rice in any form (except rice pudding) - forget it. Tofu - yuck...I can't get past looking at it out of the package. Pasta and just vegetables by themselves leaves me feeling hungry and sluggish soon after. If I eat a meal with a lot of lean meat protein, it carries me for hours.

Another thing that makes NO SENSE to me is the appeal of stuff like "Wam" (fake ham) or the Worthington/Loma Linda "fake meat in a can". They are chock full of God-knows-what preservatives and sodium, and is supposed to "tase like meat". If you don't eat meat for health reasons, why would you want to concoct a bunch of unhealthy sounding crap and masquerade it as a chicken nugget, hot dog, or salisbury steak?. And if you gave up meat for ethical purposes, and miss it so much that you must eat something fake that is supposed to "taste" like it, it just strikes me as a tad hypocritical.

Side note on the "baby food" vegetables - I was at a baby shower recently, and we played a game called "guess the baby food". It was tough to tell the peas from the beans or tell the orange stuff apart (squash, carrots, sweet potatoes). Probably hard to tell the taste apart too.

I think we are related!!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:

I agree on the tofu. What is that stuff?????

Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,666,139 times
Quote:

I'm almost the same as you - I LIKE vegetables, and I don't eat a lot of meat, but I can't fathom the concept of meat analogues. I mean - the very word "analogue" carries with it the connotation of "something that might possibly resemble food, but isn't really food." I get plenty of that already when I eat candy. Candy is food analogue, using my logic

But if someone is really trying to make something resemble meat in its looks and flavor, and feels like he truly must consume it regularly, then that person really is fighting his natural instinct to BE the omnivore that he IS.

When I was a vegetarian, I didn't eat meat. I didn't eat meat analogues, I didn't eat meat-flavored things, I didn't eat dishes that were usually the exclusive domain of meat, with substitutes. I just simply didn't eat meat. Eventually I discovered that I liked meat enough to actually miss it, and stopped being a vegetarian. But I got all the proteins I needed, and didn't suffer nutritionally in the least, by not eating meat. There are scores of foods that aren't animal-based, that can provide you with everything you need. I wasn't vegan - I did enjoy dairy, and honey, and eggs.

If I had to give up meat, I could. I did, it wasn't too much of an effort. But as long as I don't have to, I'll continue enjoying cheeseburgers, chicken, turkey, fish, and my occasional plate of bacon.

If the -only- thing I had to give up was beef, specifically, I'd have no trouble at all and would never miss it.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm almost the same as you - I LIKE vegetables, and I don't eat a lot of meat, but I can't fathom the concept of meat analogues. I mean - the very word "analogue" carries with it the connotation of "something that might possibly resemble food, but isn't really food." I get plenty of that already when I eat candy. Candy is food analogue, using my logic

But if someone is really trying to make something resemble meat in its looks and flavor, and feels like he truly must consume it regularly, then that person really is fighting his natural instinct to BE the omnivore that he IS.

When I was a vegetarian, I didn't eat meat. I didn't eat meat analogues, I didn't eat meat-flavored things, I didn't eat dishes that were usually the exclusive domain of meat, with substitutes. I just simply didn't eat meat. Eventually I discovered that I liked meat enough to actually miss it, and stopped being a vegetarian. But I got all the proteins I needed, and didn't suffer nutritionally in the least, by not eating meat. There are scores of foods that aren't animal-based, that can provide you with everything you need. I wasn't vegan - I did enjoy dairy, and honey, and eggs.

If I had to give up meat, I could. I did, it wasn't too much of an effort. But as long as I don't have to, I'll continue enjoying cheeseburgers, chicken, turkey, fish, and my occasional plate of bacon.

If the -only- thing I had to give up was beef, specifically, I'd have no trouble at all and would never miss it.
I agree about this "tastes like meat" business. If I wanted to taste meat, I'd eat it. The entrees that I buy mostly use soy and are guilty of giving them coy-cat half-meat names. Veggie loaf which looks like a slice of meat loaf. Veggie burger which is shaped like a hamburger but doesn't taste like one. Of course, as someone once pointed out, "loaf" and "burger" are neither one meat words but the hint is there. Beans and rice entrees are more "honest". So, whether or not you eat meat depends entirely on what your body craves. Meat doesn't treat me right. So, I don't eat it. Others do fine with it and that works also.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 AM

747 posts, read 1,676,500 times
Extremely easy, because I've already done it once. For the past two years not one drop of meat has entered my mouth. Recently I've went back to eating meat..mainly chicken, and small amounts of other meat.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,520,678 times
I eat meat every day. but if I had to, there is nothing that I couldn't cut from my diet. there is always something else to eat.

when you put in the clause "if you have to" that makes any food decision very easy. I could eat or not eat any food if I had to. (im not talking about tolerating disgusting stuff like on fear factor, im saying if you told me I had to eat nothing by oatmeal every meal every day, I could)

Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 AM

641 posts, read 239,795 times
I have been cooking for a man who eats a veg/vegan diet for 37 years. No dairy, but will eat eggs from chickens that he has seen their captivity is one of REAL free range. Luckily we have a few of these small scale farms nearby. I am a meat eater, and once thought I'd never give it up. After a year meat free I woke and cried out "If I don't get a rare steak NOW, I'll die!!" However, 37 years ago, the choices were pretty blah, and I have since learned how to prepare tasty vegan meals. I also know the importance of ensuring the body is fed complete proteins daily, and have found many ways to do this for us. He comes from a family rife with heart disease and bowel cancer. At nearly 70 he appears and works hard on the land as if he were in his 40's (except for all the white hair!). His medical tests have all been given a clean bill of health (the only one of 6 children in his family, and his parents that this is true).
The one thing that caused this man, who was raised on kielbasa, daisy ham, and all the high fat meats possible, to alter his way of eating was when his friend worked at a slaughterhouse. His only role all day was to cut out the pus sacs on the meat before it went to market. He is also extremely sensitive to the plight of large scale farm animals and their treatment just to satisfy our taste buds. At nearly 70, his muscle mass is intact, his B/P is that of a teenager, and his overall outlook on life is positive. So, I can safely say that all these years as a veg/vegan have only enhanced his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink