U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times

Advertisements

Don't put the vegetables in the same time as the meat. Especially white potatoes will act as a sponge and absorb the moisture. I like to cut up the veggies and steam them seperately, then add about half way through. I've had the "chewy" roast, too, until I started seperating the meat and veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:11 PM

11,403 posts, read 13,950,805 times
I buy a chuck roast and cube it up. Chuck is usually tough, so when you stew it for several hours, it softens up nicely. Fall is a great time for beef stew!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 PM

17,971 posts, read 17,131,123 times
Chuck roast cubed. Dredge it in flour and then fry in a little bit of oil to keep the flavor in. Throw it in the slow cooker with any seasonings and let it go for a long time. I sometimes cook the vegetables separately and add them, water and all, to the stew. Or I just add the vegetables toward the end.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 AM

760 posts, read 1,421,472 times
After this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
...De-bone of course....
I was beginning to feel like a dinosaur :-D Like, whaat?? What about the flavor that plain meat without ANY bones can not possibly give so much of? Then, I saw this.... aaahhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
P.S. I'd throw the bone in with the cubed beef and let it cook until ready to add veggies. More flavor.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,709,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
In past years I have used the already cubed stew meat and even with low and slow cooking the meat is chewy. Any suggestions? I stopped making this 3 years ago for this reason.
I use my mom's pressure cooker to tenderize tough cuts of beef & pork, it's an old Mirro model, probably dates back to the 50's or 60's, but any pressure cooker would do.

Trick is to cook the meat first with seasoning, let the cooker cool down, open the lid & add what you want, and just cook until the veggies get done. Pressure cookers take less time and help retain the flavors and moisture. I gave up on slow cooker crock pots many years ago.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 AM

5,119 posts, read 3,633,578 times
Here's how I make mine: cut up chuck roast, roll the pieces in flour, brown in butter on all sides, put the meat into a slow cooker, cover with water or beef stock, add one crumbled knorr boullion cube, 1/4 cup soya sauce, a few dashes of Frank's hot sauce, garlic powder (or fresh) and pepper. Cook on low 5 to 6 hours. I do my veg's separately. I find adding vegetables while the meat is cooking makes everything taste the same. I combine them with the meat and gravy only at serving time, once everything is cooked.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 AM

15,566 posts, read 9,642,463 times
Like chili and some other foods, stew is better the second day. It seems to take on a new flavor from sitting in the fridge overnight.

Don

Old 10-30-2013, 07:07 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,409,088 times
Beef shank. It almost has too much flavor.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:21 AM

912 posts, read 1,189,133 times
The husband isn't a huge fan of traditional beef stew thanks to some unpleasant childhood experiences, but he does love my carne guisada. I'll use the stew meat in the crockpot on low, if I have all day (8-10 hours). If I just have a few hours, chuck roast wins the day. Cubed stew meat is easier because it skips a step and I'm kind of lazy, BUT it definitely only works if I really have all day to let it go in the crock pot.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:28 AM

38,421 posts, read 18,177,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Here's how I make mine: cut up chuck roast, roll the pieces in flour, brown in butter on all sides, put the meat into a slow cooker, cover with water or beef stock, add one crumbled knorr boullion cube, 1/4 cup soya sauce, a few dashes of Frank's hot sauce, garlic powder (or fresh) and pepper. Cook on low 5 to 6 hours. I do my veg's separately. I find adding vegetables while the meat is cooking makes everything taste the same. I combine them with the meat and gravy only at serving time, once everything is cooked.
What you call "everything tastes the same" I call "the flavors blend and marry" that is why it tastes even better the next day when reheated.....to me beef stew isn't a bunch of separate flavors....it is a delicious mélange of flavor....greater and better than the sum of its individual parts.

I am not disagreeing with you....I am just noting the difference.....and I bet your stew is delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or