U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,511,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I want to cut the meat into cubes before cooking it.
Some of your full service supermarkets with a Meat Department can cut a chuck roast into cubes for you and are usually happy to do things like this for the customer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
I cook stew in a crockpot on low for about 10-12 hours. The meat is falling apart when it comes out, even stew meat.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:23 AM

537 posts, read 598,776 times
I haven't seen anyone say anything about boozahol. Am I the only one who adds a cup of red wine or a bottle of good beer?

I also try to use red potatoes, russets seem to fall apart and get pappy after a while.

A bay leaf or two and some thyme add nice subtle flavors, too.

My wife likes fennel.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:45 PM

9,594 posts, read 9,423,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
I haven't seen anyone say anything about boozahol. Am I the only one who adds a cup of red wine or a bottle of good beer?

I also try to use red potatoes, russets seem to fall apart and get pappy after a while.

A bay leaf or two and some thyme add nice subtle flavors, too.

My wife likes fennel.
Red wine also here. Was using white wine in chicken stew per Jamie Oliver but I've decided the chicken stew works better without the wine. I do not flour or brown the beef, also per Jamie Oliver. Neither step is really necessary. Try it without browning if you do it now, and see if you can tell any difference. My mother used potatoes and some would go in early for texture and some would go in later for eating. I don't use any potatoes at all at the moment. That could change, but, yes, if I were going to use potatoes it would be the red ones.

H

Old 10-30-2013, 01:28 PM

3,134 posts, read 3,954,362 times
Back before we went Vegetarian, I'd get the butcher to cube both liver and chuck roast for me. That yielded a really rich flavor. I think I used two parts chuck for one part liver. And if friends had stale wine (we don't drink), they'd save it for me, to add to the soup, later in the cooking process.

Otherwise, I'd add cubed red potatoes in their skins, unpeeled carrots, lots of dill seed, a bit of celery seed, fresh ginger, onion, garlic, and a hint of cumin.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:28 PM

114,036 posts, read 52,353,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
The husband isn't a huge fan of traditional beef stew thanks to some unpleasant childhood experiences, but he does love my carne guisada. I'll use the stew meat in the crockpot on low, if I have all day (8-10 hours). If I just have a few hours, chuck roast wins the day. Cubed stew meat is easier because it skips a step and I'm kind of lazy, BUT it definitely only works if I really have all day to let it go in the crock pot.
I love carne guisada ae well. Been making it for years. Constantly trying to get the same taste as many great ones I've had at restaurants here. It's pretty much a Mexican version of beef stew without the veggies. I never make it exactly the same twice. Mine is generally pretty good. If you've got a recipe I hope you share it. I prepare the meat basically the same for beef stew or carne guisada.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Some of your full service supermarkets with a Meat Department can cut a chuck roast into cubes for you and are usually happy to do things like this for the customer.
I have a small market nearby with a butcher and I order specialty meats from them. I will have them cube up a chuck roast for me. In fact the brisket and prime rib I got from them was outstanding. I forgot all about this market which is 5 minutes from me.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
boneless chuck roasts are the best- look for them when they come on sale

their are two popular chuck roasts, one from what they call a chuck roll, and one from a chuck shoulder clod.
the roast from the chuck clod, is often called a chuck shoulder roast, this one is a bit leaner, than the traditional boneless chuck roast (from the chuck roll)

here is a helpful video on stew

Texas Beef Council

Old 10-31-2013, 03:33 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,393,299 times
Most of the time, I buy an arm roast for stew meat, which is still from the chuck area of the beef, but is leaner and less sinew it seems. And maybe only a few cents more per pound. I just cube it up and cook slowly like I would chuck stew meat.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:36 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Most of the time, I buy an arm roast for stew meat, which is still from the chuck area of the beef, but is leaner and less sinew it seems. And maybe only a few cents more per pound. I just cube it up and cook slowly like I would chuck stew meat.
good choice,
this is a chuck shoulder arm roast-also known as a "shoulder" roast (comes from a chuck sub-primal called the shoulder clod)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or