U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,613,697 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

When people visit me in Hawai'i and taste the local Sharwil avocadoes, they always ask "These are fabulous. Where can I get these on the mainland?" But ever since 1992, when a fruit fly larva was discovered in a Hawaiian packing house, where a load of Sharwils was being prepared for shipment, the answer has been "You can't!" The avocado some consider Hawai'i's finest could only be enjoyed locally.

All these years later, the USDA has finally relented, after research showed that Sharwils are actually a poor host for fruit flies, to allow them to be shipped again, without chemical treatment that ruined their quality, from November to March, to most states, excluding California and Florida where other types of avocadoes are grown.

Sharwils are larger, rounder, and harder to the touch when ripe than the popular Hass type. Keep your eye peeled for them, because they will not be in long supply, since the orchards in Hawai'i have declined during the 21 years they were banned from shipment. Only 700,000 pounds will be shipped this year, barely a blip on the radar for the US market, but if you try them I think you'll really like them. I sure do.

USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 03:19 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
I'll keep my eyes open. I wonder what the price will be like.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
No loss for me here in California. We grow the biggest, meatiest and tastiest aquacates in the world. Not to mention the most varieties.

Now if you want to send over some peaberry prime kona

Old 11-02-2013, 01:29 PM

I don't want to start a spitting contest here, but I lived in California many years, and I've never before seen the amazing varieties of avocados available here on the Big Island. Sometimes at the farmers market I find 10 different varieties at a time! And visiting friends from California say things like "Wow, I wish I could get avocados like these at home."

Here's a poster showing just some of the different varieties grown on the Kona side...

Google Image Result for http://www.hawaiihealthguide.com/images/editor/image/Avocado%20Festival/avocado-poster.jpg

And this one for the whole island is beyond awesome...

Google Image Result for http://www.fruitlovers.com/AvocadoPoster.jpg

And don't even get me started on the astonishing varieties of citrus here!

As for coffee, those in the know are turning to award winning Ka'u* coffee over Kona, for its richer flavor. This is a place I buy my coffee, on the drive down to Na'alehu to watch the sea turtles come up on the black sand beach to sun... Cloud Rest Coffee - Arabica Hawaiian Coffee from Kau

*Pronounced ka 'oo, with a little throat catch (called 'okina) at the beginning of the second syllable.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
OpenD, waiting for that FedEx package now.

What an assortment!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 AM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
I've no idea what variety these things were, but in our rental south of Guadalajara, Mexico, we had avocado trees that produced monster size fruit. The other fruits in the photo are normal size for their variety (Roma tomato, for example).

Avocado | Anything Goes Gourmet

Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've no idea what variety these things were, but in our rental south of Guadalajara, Mexico, we had avocado trees that produced monster size fruit. The other fruits in the photo are normal size for their variety (Roma tomato, for example).

Avocado | Anything Goes Gourmet
Years ago I had an ancient avocado tree in the back yard in SoCal that dropped about 8 2-pound avocados a day from November to March. It was a genuine chore to give away what we couldn't use. And the larger fruits tend to be more watery, and not as tasty as some of the smaller ones.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:40 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,383,833 times
Wow. I lived in HI for eleven years , had a tree in my yard, and didn't get a decent avo the whole time.So watery!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink