Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The French love their rich food....butter, sauces with cream, rich pastries, patés, etc., BUT....everything in small portions. You will never see them "supersizing" their food.
LOL on the "supersizing"....my husband and I, when we go to McD's or some such place (not very often!), order one meal and supersize it, then order another sandwich (not the meal), and then we share the fries and drink of the supersized meal. We usually can't even drink the whole thing between the two of us, but it makes me realize that some people will eat (and drink) a whole supersized meal by themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
LOL on the "supersizing"....my husband and I, when we go to McD's or some such place (not very often!), order one meal and supersize it, then order another sandwich (not the meal), and then we share the fries and drink of the supersized meal. We usually can't even drink the whole thing between the two of us, but it makes me realize that some people will eat (and drink) a whole supersized meal by themselves.
I don't think Supersizing is even an option where I live. The regular portions are already way bigger than they used to be or than you need.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=food+...w=1093&bih=513

Old 04-02-2014, 04:58 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Something else that works: Google the general topic and you'll almost always find the same information in some other publication.
Also, if you google the headline and click on the link through Google (or Twitter) it doesn't count towards your 10 articles, even if you're reading it on NYT's site.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'll look for it when I go to a bigger supermarket. Won't find it here in my small town. Thanks for your answer!
If you have access to a Trader Joe's you'll probably find it there, I know the one in my area carries it and sells it for about half the $$$ as a local big chain market does.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Another butter never left household here. Butter is the bomb!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
My mother switched to margarine when I was in elementary school. Oh, that was cruel. When I got my first job as a teen, I used to buy butter and other things that weren't on her shopping list.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:09 PM

61,716 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Default Butter ...

Not sure - did we had a thread about butter? If not, let's talk about - not from the health perspective, but about regions, brands, salted or not, homemade, cultured etc.
I am a butter person. Butter, really good butter, is one of life’s singular pleasures. My all time favorite basic was unsalted butter from Karoun Dairies (I also love their cheese products). It was... till few months ago.
One day, I was at the dairy aisle just about to buy another pound of Karoun butter when someone behind me unpatiently mumbled: where is it? Where the heck is it? Oh, here! And a hand appeared above my head and briskly grabbed two blocks of butter. I turned around ready to snap, when I saw a local culinary celebrity shopping in a hurry. Curious what he was looking for, I checked on that butter again - it was Beurre d'Isigny. A brand I never tried before.
Of course I had to try it and now Karoun is a history
This cultured butter has buttercup color as a result of high levels of carotenoids and rich flavor has distinctive notes of hazelnut and milk and a slight tang.
I am buying their unsalted version named Isigny Sainte-Mère and I have to admit - it taste phenomenal! Of course it pairs the best with a good quality artisan bread which I am buying anyway, like baguette, croissants, or German rye. It would be wasted on white sandwich bread.
If that's too expensive, the next best choice would be the President Butter.

While you may not be able to taste the difference between regional butters (or maybe you can - who am I to assume anything about your butter-tasting palette), there is something that varies and distinguish one from another.

Do you like butter as much as I do? Have a favorite butter to use? So, what's your preferences?

Old 08-30-2018, 04:15 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Love, love butter. My grandmother said I used to hold a stick and lick it like a popsicle. Ick, ick.

I like regional Amish butter, Kerrygold....use 1/2 butter and 1/2 oil for sauteing,
etc. Butter in some recipes.

NOTHING contributes flavor like butter.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:15 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I have been trying some different butters and frankly can't taste the difference. I have tried Finlandia and Vermont Creamery cultured butter. But then I don't usually eat it plain on bread or anything, it is usually melted by the time it gets to my mouth. I'm open to suggestions.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
melted butter with lobsters is one the wonders of the world- it should be

loved butter on popcorn too

growing up real butter was bad bad bad margarine was said to be better for you....so half my friends had the shed spread bucket...lol

but now its back to butter is not so bad for you..

someone said to try butter in coffee...so I did...it was ok..

I have butter on my steaks and fish fillets...…. love it..
I buy whats on sale at the store if I can buy 2 (4 stick) pkges for 5.00 i'll buy a few

someone at work said try some melted butter with crown royal...havent done that yet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink