U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:24 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,824,191 times

Advertisements

Oh you are in for a treat! Most Italians love the holiday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM

13,124 posts, read 17,674,374 times
No we cannot afford this year again we could not afford it last year either . So like i said we will have soup and sandwich and a salad or whatever . I hate people acting like you are strange when you say you cant afford a thanksgiving dinner . A lady at my husbands work said out loud the other day , I cant imagine people not being able to afford a turkey dinner . My husband told her off and told her well maybe some people have to buy medicine out of their pocket instead of a turkey dinner , you know not everyone is as rich as you are lucy . Boy that shut her up real quick .

Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,606,362 times
Traditional meal yes. Traditional day no. My wife and I work at a Hospital and she is working Wednesday and Thursday night. We are celebrating on Friday.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 PM

34,653 posts, read 42,792,739 times
We are having traditional, but my DD and family have started a new tradition of lobster Thanksgivings. I think this is OK, since the Pilgrims probably had an abundance of them.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
No we cannot afford this year again we could not afford it last year either . So like i said we will have soup and sandwich and a salad or whatever . I hate people acting like you are strange when you say you cant afford a thanksgiving dinner . A lady at my husbands work said out loud the other day , I cant imagine people not being able to afford a turkey dinner . My husband told her off and told her well maybe some people have to buy medicine out of their pocket instead of a turkey dinner , you know not everyone is as rich as you are lucy . Boy that shut her up real quick .
Bless your heart. I wish you could come to our house.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,872,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
You hit the nail on the head - giving Thanks! For many, it is probably the most challenging part of the day that is forgotten - giving thanks for what one has: albeit it just a glass of water, a meal with all the fixings or charting off to an exotic location in your private jet. The key is remembering that ....
Our family is not large and is spread all over the world. And, the older generation is all gone. I am the oldest @ 70 and was the youngest) We are always so grateful when a few of us can get together. It is a wonderful treat. The food helps of course. We are southern so it is all about the food. This meal, the one we had last year, the one my mother would make, Uncle Robert (who had a french wife) going around and sampling all the dishes before we gathered to the table (along with his glass/bottle of wine). Uncle Robert never disliked anything and praised it to the skies....<s>. It is always a time of remembrance and gratitude for having life.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM

17,175 posts, read 22,205,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We are having traditional, but my DD and family have started a new tradition of lobster Thanksgivings. I think this is OK, since the Pilgrims probably had an abundance of them.
we've done this.... its a good change- all you can eat lobster buffet...

Old 11-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we've done this.... its a good change- all you can eat lobster buffet...
Do you live in Maine? I live where lobster is $13.99 a pound, and my sister in MA tells me she pays $3.99 in her grocery store, and they cook it for her for free. So jealous.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 PM

28,930 posts, read 15,986,469 times
There's a very good possibility that my family and I will have prime rib roast instead of turkey.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:17 AM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
nanny, good topic

I use to be a meat manager in a supermarket many moons ago- not everyone ate turkey-prime rib, pork roasts, chicken roasters , hams and ducks were good sellers

I once helped make up hundreds of thanksgiving meals very close to what you are having, and we donated them to the local soup kitchen

many singles, and couples wont roast a whole turkey- the smaller turkey breast sells better every year, as families gets smaller

one year we forgone the turkey and went with a lobster feed- and steamer clams....delicious!!
My parents used to be able to get 1/2 a turkey. That worked fine for them, as they got older, didn't feel like going out but still wanted the Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. If we didn't have family around we would probably go out on Thanksgiving day. When we lived in NM we didn't always have the kids come; we would have neighbors in and one year we had a turkey dinner at our church complete with wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or