Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:25 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,406,693 times

Advertisements

LOL. McDonald's has already eliminated trans fat. Banning it isn't going to make fast food illegal, or any of those other things.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They'll replace it with palm oil in many products, which is supposedly still bad for you.
Palm oil is saturated fat which is much better than trans fat.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,139,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They'll replace it with palm oil in many products, which is supposedly still bad for you.
I know a native Nigerian and palm oil is used often in their cooking. According to him it causes respiratory problems due to the residue released when using it to cook foods.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This. Inform us, educate us, don't put yourself in loco parentis over adult citizens just because some other citizens decide that they should get to make our decisions for us based on their own fear of death and inability to live in a world where other adults make decisions differing from their own (and don't do it for any other reason, either).

That didn't work real well during Prohibition, why should it work any better now? Carrie Nation will always be with us, but I'd thought we'd learned by now not to let her run our lives.
Trans fat is an artificial substance that has serious health effects and no benefits for consumers... It's not about choice at all. You might as well say you want to make the decision for yourself weather to eat chicken seasoned with cyanide.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,719,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Trans fat is an artificial substance that has serious health effects and no benefits for consumers... It's not about choice at all. You might as well say you want to make the decision for yourself weather to eat chicken seasoned with cyanide.

LOL it's never about choice to control freaks who think it's their business (it's not) to mind everyone else's.

Give me all the info you'd like, and I will make my own decisions. Not the gub-ment.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM

861 posts, read 1,449,281 times
Help! We need the government to save us from ourselves!!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL it's never about choice to control freaks who think it's their business (it's not) to mind everyone else's.

Give me all the info you'd like, and I will make my own decisions. Not the gub-ment.
In most cases there is no choice and you aren't even informed that there is trans fat... banning the stuff is a consumer protection, just like other regulations on food safety

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-08-2013, 10:05 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,906,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I know a native Nigerian and palm oil is used often in their cooking. According to him it causes respiratory problems due to the residue released when using it to cook foods.
If you're breathing in oil vapors, of course you are going to have respiratory problems. Even EVOO will do that. You need to cook out doors, or use a towel at least over your mouth and nose if you are going to cook that hot (which I see many women in Asia do while they cook on extremely hot woks). Most American houses of course are not set up to do that type of cooking.

Last edited by fibonacci; 11-08-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,906,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and most people know how I feel about this: Please government, stay out of my life for heavens sake. Let me decide what I want to kill myself eating or drinking. I have no problems with the government warning us what isn't healthy but I do have a problem with them controlling my life!!!!
And there are people still out there who think they don't need to immunize their children because it should be their choice to choose whether or not their child should be immunized. If we let every idiot out there decide what is best for them irregardless of the impact something mandated might have on overall public health, we'd still be fighting small pox and polio. There are more important things in life than to cry over banning the use of hydrogenated oils, which will likely have minimal impact on the foods you can still purchase. You can still make the same foods with different oils and still have them taste the same.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,719,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
In most cases there is no choice and you aren't even informed that there is trans fat... banning the stuff is a consumer protection, just like other regulations on food safety

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

What is it about "you eat what you want, and I'll eat what I want" that some people just don't get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink