Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times

Advertisements

We are having something simple this year--hot turkey sandwiches, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce & salad. Some type of pie for desert.
Anyone else just doing their own thing & having something they want that's different from the traditional meal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
We are having something simple this year--hot turkey sandwiches, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce & salad. Some type of pie for desert.
Anyone else just doing their own thing & having something they want that's different from the traditional meal?
nanny, good topic

I use to be a meat manager in a supermarket many moons ago- not everyone ate turkey-prime rib, pork roasts, chicken roasters , hams and ducks were good sellers

I once helped make up hundreds of thanksgiving meals very close to what you are having, and we donated them to the local soup kitchen

many singles, and couples wont roast a whole turkey- the smaller turkey breast sells better every year, as families gets smaller

one year we forgone the turkey and went with a lobster feed- and steamer clams....delicious!!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,178 times
I would love a lobster and clam feed!!

I'll be doing the traditional turkey dinner, but honestly, I would be fine with something else. I'm not a big turkey fan to begin with so I usually just eat all the sides. But I'll be at my in-laws, and my mother-in-law goes all out every year.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,758,631 times
I am thinking about Alaskan King crab legs and lobster tail with drawn butter and lemon wedges. Boiled new potatoes seasoned with a pinch of the drawn butter, salt and pepper. Steamed asparagus with a squeeze of lemon. For dessert - Key lime pie.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I am thinking about Alaskan King crab legs and lobster tail with drawn butter and lemon wedges. Boiled new potatoes seasoned with a pinch of the drawn butter, salt and pepper. Steamed asparagus with a squeeze of lemon. For dessert - Key lime pie.
Now THAT is MY kind of meal!!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:38 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,754,991 times
Since my Dad died this will be the second year of not having the usual get together we enjoyed so many times. Last year I did nothing for any holiday because of my greif. I was in court with Mom on my birthday. I didn't care.

This year we actually watched a favorite Haloween movie. Haloween was always Dad and my favorite.

Since it will be just the two of us I will do a turkey breast for myself and a small ham for DH. We will watch Miracle on 34th Street and the parade. And I will smile and remember the wonderful Thanksgivings we got to have together.

......every day is a gift......

Old 11-06-2013, 11:45 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,758,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Since my Dad died this will be the second year of not having the usual get together we enjoyed so many times. Last year I did nothing for any holiday because of my greif. I was in court with Mom on my birthday. I didn't care.

This year we actually watched a favorite Haloween movie. Haloween was always Dad and my favorite.

Since it will be just the two of us I will do a turkey breast for myself and a small ham for DH. We will watch Miracle on 34th Street and the parade. And I will smile and remember the wonderful Thanksgivings we got to have together.

......every day is a gift......
My condolences, CCc. I know from personal experience about grief and holidays. I lost my 2 closest siblings within a 2-1/2 year period.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
I spent Thanksgiving with my friends the last few years. They are Vegan. So no turkey there, not even a wannabe fake one.

Didn't miss it!

We had some Quinoa, fruits, veggies, etc.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
I will probably spend my day alone and will have a small meal that will suit me just fine. On Saturday, the likelihood is that I will have the traditional meal with my youngest and his family.

Years ago, when he was the last one at home, we both had alternate plans for Thanksgiving Day and we joined forces for our own feast on the Saturday following. His wife likes the idea (they eat with her parents/siblings and son has to work) so she has continued the tradition and we do the Saturday meal. Turkey, stuffing, sweets, mashers, cranberry, green bean casserole, and topped off with my dtr-in-law's absolutely fantastic Pumpkin Roll.

Just to be clear, I do turn down invitations from a couple of well-intentioned folks who think it's sad that I don't have a full-fledged meal on THE day. I'm fine with it.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 PM

708 posts, read 954,590 times
Turkey dinner is my favorite meal. Last year I did a full Turkey dinner just for me. Can't afford that this year, so I look forward to getting leftovers from my friend. Probably make soup or eggs on Thanksgiving and have turkey dinner on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink