Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times

Advertisements

Mine is the day I learned the difference between a clove of garlic and a bulb of garlic.

I was all of 22 and making my first quiche - a vegetable one. I doubled the recipe, since the crust recipe made two crusts. I bought all the ingredients and carefully followed the recipe until I got to the garlic -- peel and crush 2 cloves of garlic. Well, I gave up after 1 "clove", since it was just getting ridiculous -- I just kept peeling the thing and it was never ending.

Finished making the quiches, and couldn't wait until they came out of the oven -- and they came out perfectly! Except they were inedible. WAY too much garlic. Really tasted awful and I ended up throwing them away. I was crushed -- after all my effort! My Mom really laughed when I told her what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 AM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
When I was 12, I was so proud of baking a cake by myself. Forgot to put baking soda in. Ended up with cake like brownies. LOL

Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,306 times
I forgot to remove the protective foil from the baking sheet when we received our new kitchen. First i thought it was stinking because it was the first usage...

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Two things come to mind, but I am sure there are many others: 1-when I was about 11 or 12 I had developed a love for cooking, but coming from a family that rarely baked anything we didn't have cookie sheets, cake pans etc. Dad taught me to cook, but not bake. Anyway, I decided to make a cake, having no cake pans I thought, what the heck, an iron skillet is about the same size; guess what, it might be a similar size but don't try to use it in place of a cake pan.

Even worse was in college; I was taking a foods class, one of the gals was from India I beleive, I am not sure, but she was an exchange student and why she chosse to take the class I don't know. Anyway we were making basic Mexican wedding cooking or short breads, whatever. There were only 3 ingredients as most of you know: sugar, flour and butter. She made hers, noticed about 5 minutes after putting them in the over something was wrong, there was nothing but a melted mess all over the place. It dawned on her, she the recipe called for 2 cups of flour, not 1/2 cup...

Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
When I was in high school I tried to use one of those boxed cakes. I thought I didnt need to use all the cake mix so you can imagine how my cake turned out. lol

Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 AM

271 posts, read 600,651 times
I did the same thing with garlic when I started cooking, except I was making lasagne.

I tried making jamaican beans and rice once, but instead of coconut milk, I used cream of coconut, thought it was the same thing. I had a overly sweet spicy gross mess.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,306 times
WOW, NJ Sherri wrote LasagnE and not LasagnA :-) are you born in Europe ?? :-) :-)

Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I guess the turkey that never cooked. In my 20's and not sure if oven was way down or just not in long enough. I had company and oops. We ate the other stuff. Why I didn't notice it till too late or didn't notice the absence of the roasting smell I don't know.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,850,043 times
Hi all--

Sometime early last year I had a pot of boiling water, I took a box of spaghetti and tried to dump it in, somehow missed, the spaghetti goes under the pot and immediately goes up in flames. I wound up using the fire extinguisher on that one.

And the area under the cooker got a long-overdue scrubbing.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
The year after my grandma passed away, I wanted to make one of her "famous" Italian cookie recipes for Xmas. They are a family favorite & it was our 1st Christmas w/out her.. The recipe calls for cloves and being 24 at the time, I did not know there were ground cloves & whole cloves...
Let's just say, the cookies were very crunchy and not so good!
I have since learned and they are now once again, a family favorite, that I make every year for the Holidays ..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink